Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Spider
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I also put in the silicone hoses today in 82 spider, along with a bad washer pump i do not see how the plastic cover by the wiper blades comes off. I hope to put in the silicone hose for the wiper washer also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used to have my classic cars in a lovely heated aircraft hangar. Then I sold the business and the new owners kicked me out. They had no sole

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I also put in the silicone hoses today in 82 spider, along with a bad washer pump i do not see how the plastic cover by the wiper blades comes off.
Are you talking about the body color cover that runs from side to side and from the glass to the hood?
If so, remove the wiper blade arms,
remove the chrome trim along the base of the glass, being careful not to damage the clips below it,
then unscrew the screws in the channel where the hood closes. You’ll see large screws holding it down.

·
Registered
1982 Spider
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that for a series II, mine is like a black plastic piece.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Is that for a series II, mine is like a black plastic piece.
You have to take that cowl piece off to get to the plastic piece as it is attached from underneath via screws

·
Registered
1982 Spider
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now I see the screws hidden by the hood. And each end of the chrome strip has screws. Have hit them all with PB Blaster and will let them sit a few days.
Running around the airport she runs well, just not much to look at!

·
Registered
1982 Spider
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is dumb! So four screws under the hood and one on each end of the chrome strip. But what holds on the wiper arms, I am stuck here and do not want to screw anything up!

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
This is dumb! So four screws under the hood and one on each end of the chrome strip. But what holds on the wiper arms, I am stuck here and do not want to screw anything up!
There is a nut under a plastic cover that hold the arms on to the wiper assembly

·
Registered
1982 Spider
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, but the covers do not want to come off. I do not want to brake them, any trick?

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
they don't come off
they flip/pivot up
if your wiper arms are like this..........you slightly lift up that cover over the nut and at the same time lift the wiper arm off from the screen.........this allows that pivoted cap to click fully open....
now unscrew the nut.
82 spider.jpg
a little tip: put a towel or something soft on the engine and when the cowl is free turn it over and rest it on the towel.
1616355881564.jpeg
The flimsy plastic water jet nozzels can be very brittle, if you do not need to disconnect it to do what you need to do, then don'T! If you do need to, then apply a little heat to make the (hardened!) hoses a bit more supple

PS: great time to refurb the wiper motor, unless you have speedy wipers (most of us have snails!)

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
There are also 7 clips that may be rusted away that hold that chrome strip down. If they are rusted away, you cannot replace them without removing the windshield. See photo.

·
Registered
1982 Spider
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So got it off, and plan on using the silicone tubing. broke a nozzle! so plan on changing them out. Also repaint the piece. The clips are rust can they be purchased?

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
So got it off, and plan on using the silicone tubing. broke a nozzle! so plan on changing them out. Also repaint the piece. The clips are rust can they be purchased?
Very available through several suppliers. See example. But, you have to remove the windshield and once you do that, I would buy a new windshield rubber and clean out and paint the windshield frame to eliminate rust.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
oops.
if those clips are all totally rusted out, you'll find a lot of nasty stuff under the windscreen seal, especially the corners of the pillars left and right.
But if they are only slightly rusty and can be re-used (iow. will still hold the chrome strip OK) perhaps leave them be.
If you do the screen out job, might as well do the windscreen wiper motor, grease the linkage, check the cowl drains etc....

mission creep...alfas do that:(

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
oops.
if those clips are all totally rusted out, you'll find a lot of nasty stuff under the windscreen seal, especially the corners of the pillars left and right.
But if they are only slightly rusty and can be re-used (iow. will still hold the chrome strip OK) perhaps leave them be.
If you do the screen out job, might as well do the windscreen wiper motor, grease the linkage, check the cowl drains etc....

mission creep...alfas do that:(
Yes they do that.
Don't those clips also hold the panel in place as well as the chrome piece?

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,942 Posts
use a clear vinel hose between the valve cover and the ovs... it works as a early warning system of coolent in the oil

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
use a clear vinel hose between the valve cover and the ovs... it works as a early warning system of coolent in the oil
Uh, I don't see anything in this thread about an OVS. Did I miss something?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts