Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....
I`ve replaced my water pump Saturday, car ran ok, though i`ve just cranked it and let it sit for a while to check if there was no leaks... Sunday car sat in backyard, and today in the morning, i want to go to work, got in the alfa, turn the key, and.... CLICK (and fuel pump hum)... something is not right... lets try it again.... CLICK (and fuel pump hum)...
CLICK goes from starter, but starter does not turn the fly wheel, in fact there is no other sounds except that click and pump noise... what could got bad?
is it a starter? or could it be something else?
(yes I did recharged the battery...)

Im ready to burn it and get a honda :(

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
could be a ground problem, or ignition switch.
there is a ground cable from the body to the engine that if it broke or corroded, wouldnot let enough current to start. check with a jumper (make sure it is in nutral) from top post on starter solenoid to small connector on solenoid, that should make it turn if the start switch is bad.
cliff

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
429 Posts
Happened to me once. Was a loose positive cable at the starter. Tightened it up and all was good again. If it is loose, dis-connect the negative from the battery before you tighten the nut on the starter.
HTH
Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nawwww, you don't really want to shoot your Alfa... try what these folks suggest... then can look at these links as well.. I've been there, done that.. mine ended up (3 years later, sigh) being simply that my Cooling fan, running when I was not looking, just drained enough of my brand new battery etc... to give me the ol Click, no Crank... anyways, might want to try these links...

http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=5420

http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=10936

Hope this helps...

Ron F.
--------

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just went through this, too, with my normally reliably-starting Spider.

The short version of the story is that the battery cable ends were oxidized just enough to prevent the starter from getting enough power, but not enough to look as though they were corroded. A good wire-brushing of the terminals and the cable ends did the trick.

If this doesn't work for you, get the battery load-tested before you assume it is OK.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hmmm... to be quick... I tried to Hot wire my car... made no diff... then I tried a set of jumpers... and it "always" worked... that helped me narrow it down to, it's simply not getting enough juice to the starter... I "accidentall" found the culprit, as I had just driven it.. parked it in the garage... came back out 20 or so minutes later, heard the aux fan running.... figured, hmmm, no big deal... kept working in the garage, fan went out... then 10 minutes later, kicked in again... ok, hmmm... that seems a little excessive ... then, I tested the theory, over a long period of time, by installing a simple kill switch to that fan... been well over a year now... has not bit me since. Of course, why this even happened etc, a whole nother story I reckon... anyways... good luck.

My thoughts are, if it DOES NOT jump start, then it's "probably" not a too little juice issue in the simple form... could still be in that connections etc... anyways I like to do the simple stuff first... took me quite some time to figure that out. (-;

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be the end?
My dad said once: do not smack talk on your car, it understand you, and it will pay you back...
well after trying hot wiring it, cleaning almost anything i could think about that may be revelant.... She still said NO, and gave me a CLICK... so I gave a nice speech to my car, that i can understand that she got a brand new water pump so I can go to work, and Im working so she can get a many new parts (btw motor mounts are DEAD... I`m even ashamed to take a pics of them, they look so bad) so if I cant get to work, I`ll have to scrap her and get another volvo... and wet home to drink something (it is hot here) after I came back, i`ve put together steering column cover, fuse box went back onto its place as well... and I turned the ignition... and no CLICK... :( (BREAKER SWITCH IN DA TRUNK, YOU RETARD)... turn the breaker switch... turn the ignition key... and she has sputtered a bit, had very odd idle at begining, but she did cranked and started!!!!
top and motor mounts are next...
Thank you everybody for keeping me sane, and for extending helping hand, the only better thing than Alfabb is Beer ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ha ha ha... glad she fired up for you... BUT... if this becomes something that happens again, once every now and then... you may want to check those links out. When I got the Click, No Crank, it was intermittent. If it happens again... I'd still try a quick jump start. Sometimes, if I got the click no start... just letting mine sit a few hours or even minutes, it would all of a sudden work again... I guess it's how batteries can work... they will kind of Top off when sitting for a while... sort of like when your flashlight goes out... then you try again an hour later and it works for a minute or so more. :D

Hopefully yours was/is a one time problem. Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts