Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New here! I am a proud owner of a GTV 916 2.0 TS '95. I might be moving to San Francisco (currently in The Netherlands) for my job but I am wondering if/how I could import my car to the US, legally (not for just 1 year). Does anyone here have experience with importing "newer" Alfa's? Looking forward to hearing any tips!

Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
California is absolutely the worst place to try and do that. Sometimes you can't even register 49 state Alfas over there. That said, it's probably possible, I know of a few in Oklahoma, but I don't have any idea how to do it in California.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
There are a couple in CA (at least one legally - or so the owner claims), but they are totally illegal to possess here. Especially your car, with a TS engine (never available here), I wouldn't even consider it an option.

Maybe a family member or friend can babysit it if you really don't want to let it go? I took care of a friend's car for over 2 years while his entire family relocated to London to work on a film.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Register and indicate that it is garaged here in New Mexico. The state is pretty lenient as far as registrations, no safety or smog check for most of the state. Several years ago I read about a Mangusta that was garaged in Europe, but had current N.M. registration. In the late Eighties I read in Road & Track about either a McLaren or Lola race car that was registered for the street with Alabama tags.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also keep in mind that cars imported to the U.S. that are fewer than 25 years old are normally required to be modified to pass U.S. safety and environmental regulations. Thanks to Mercedes Benz lobbyists, the U.S. pretty much outlawed grey market imports in the late 80s. If you are interested in the federal regulations (in addition to the regulations of the state to which you import a car), look here: Importation and Certification FAQ’s

·
Registered
123 Posts
you cannot import the car here, unless you are coming here with a diplomat credentialing and/or a company which has foreign employees who can bring over foreign cars.

other than that, you are subject to the same rules as everyone else; no importing of non DOT/NHTSA approved cars under 25 years without expensive testing and modifications----most likely not worth your time to pursue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Keep the Dutch plates on it and drive to Mexico or Canada once a year. I export cars to Switzerland and can only imagine the headaches bringing a car to USA.

·
Registered
132 Posts
other than that, you are subject to the same rules as everyone else; no importing of non DOT/NHTSA approved cars under 25 years without expensive testing and modifications----most likely not worth your time to pursue.
I thought if someone has already tested a car one can use that data as certification along with proof of the modifications?

We do a similar process for cars we export to Switezerland and have it down to a science. Each car is different and terms of hassle and price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts