Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although everything seems to be functioning, I couldn't help but notice the bundle of wiring (wrapped in electrical tape) that runs across the front of the engine compartment and appears to serve the front lighting was very badly burned/melted/insulation fused/bare wire exposed...not good. On closer inspection, I noted a ground wire which is part of the bundle had become detached. I reattached the ground and put another wrap of electrical tape around the burned areas. I also noted the non-black wire serving the under hood courtesy lamp (also part of the bundle) was also in the same bad shape. The lamp fixture had been removed and the connecting ends were exposed.

Could the ground becoming disconnected have caused the problem? Could the connecting ends of the lamp wiring have touched and shorted and caused the problem? If everything is working and the wiring doesn't appear to be shorting/melting any longer, should I take any further action or let it ride?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
When you burn car wiring (polymer/plastic) insulation it becomes carbon, which conducts electricity. You should cut out and replace the charred sections of wiring. Leakage of current can cause heat to build up further degredating the remaining polymer insulation.
If "everything" works you don't have a major problem, for now.

Best regards, Elio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
my old datsun pickup burnt the harness in a rain storm one night, it was the ground wire in the bundle that burnt, the main ground sprap had gone bad, and the little wire just wasnt enough for the current. I temperaried it and got home where I unwrapped the harness and replaced the wires that had been burnt.
since our alfa"s have been known to have bad or corroded grounds, this might be it.
cliff
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top