Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the good news is that I got a new battery, but when I pulled out of the garage...there was no throttle response at all.

I am looking for photos of throttle links, as I can not tell what is missing on mine and how it SHOULD look. All I know is I can only go idle speed....

It is a 1990 Graduate--thank you for any photos or ideas you might have, I'm not technically inclined but am hoping that there is a simple remedy for this...

Thank you!

·
Administrator
18,169 Posts
I think that your 1990 would have a cable operated throttle. Perhaps the cable broke?

There are some photos in this thread: CC in S4

Here's a good close-up (the chain type thing is the added cable pull for the Cruise Control):

If the throttle in your car is like the S3 version (rods & bellcrank), there are some photos here: S3 Throttle. It is not uncommon for the plastic ends on the rods to crack allowing the rod to fall off. If that is the case, Centerline Alfa has metal rod ends.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
A 90 Graduate has the S3 linkage. I replaced the plastic ends on mine with the Centerline metal ends.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mine came apart just as I was accelerating onto a fast dual carriageway, aiming to overtake a slower car. An embarassed cruise on to the hard shoulder....

It was dark, I didn't have a torch and had to call out breakdown assistance.
The next day I had a look and saw the link rod end (female) had just come off the male socket on part of the linkage. I was able to push it back on. It was too easy to push on as it was badly worn so I have now replaced it with a new end.

I would check to see if something similar has happened to yours. Its quite easy to see where the links (should) go to on the throttle. Then look down to see if you have any loose rods flopping around.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here's a good close-up (the chain type thing is the added cable pull for the Cruise Control):

Cruise control on a spider. You S4 guys kill me:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts