Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Spiders: 1971 red, 1971 white, 1973 yellow, 1974 Silver, 1980 Brown, 1982 Blue, 1992 and 93 Green
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum and I like what I've read. I though I'd come here for some advice.

My 1980 Spider started to idle rough and stall, so I opened the hood and found the culprit - bad vacuum lines. To get to them, I needed to remove some air intake parts - unfortunately, I found them to be cracked, so now I have a problem. I tried the local auto parts stores and nobody sells the parts. I tried on line and also no luck.

What do you guys do when a rubber hose goes bad? It's been years since I've had something like this happen - can't get parts to fix my car. I've heard that Alfa parts are available, but I'm not having any luck.

Here are the parts I need.
1. Hose from the air cleaner to steel air pipe (see #3 in picture)
2. Rubber coupler from steel air pipe to throttle body. (see #2 in picture)
3. Rubber coupler from throttle body to intake manifold. (see #1 in picture)

I also have a bad coolant hose (the one that goes along the right side of the motor to the back). The hose rubs on the throttle linkage and has nearly worn through. Do I need to use a formed hose, or will a piece of heater hose work? (see #4 in picture)

I also found another coolant hose that goes from the firewall to the right side of the engine (near hose #4). I'm thinking this is for the heater core, since I have no heat in the car.

The brake booster hose is also bad. I noticed it's a braided hose. Can I use a silicone hose or a regular piece of vacuum tubing. Also, what ID do I need?

Also, what size vacuum hoses do I need (ID) and has anyone had luck using silicone hoses?

Can anyone help me find these parts or does anyone have a solution for me. I was thinking about using the old part for #1 and using silicone tape to seal it. I'm worried that the rubber will crack and pieces will be pulled into the intake valve. I was also thinking of using a rubber coupler (used for home plumbing) for #3, but I'm not sure if it'll be okay with oil/gas? I may be able to do the same with #2, but I'm not a huge fan of doing so.

Any advice is appreicated.

Thank you.

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Have you tried the UK suppliers?
They seem to have just about everything for our older cars. Good prices and fast freight.
Classicalfa.com
Highwoodalfa.com
Alfaholics.com

US based BBers often also look to:
Centerlinealfa.com
Alfa parts exchange (second hand parts when new unavailable)

The parts wanted/for sale thread on this AlfaBB site is another fallback.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
as you have the 'one or two year only' monofarfalla spica set up, the hoses are not going to be so easy to find from the usual suppliers, certainly #3 will be unique to that set up.
You might find something to fit (see link below) or try alfa parts exchange for a used one.

the booster vacuum hose from other spiders should fit....check length of yours against the available item:
https://centerlinealfa.com/store

coupler #1 might be the same as the coupler for other spiders, listed here (again depends on ID of the hose on your car)
https://centerlinealfa.com/store?tag=Air Plenums and Hoses

coupler #2 will be unique to monofarfalla, but you should be able to come up with a solution.

that is a very smart and clean engine bay btw...:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.