Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am workung towards reducing the gathered car parts (from series 750 until 105) from my dad, who unfortunately died some months ago.

The probleme I have is, that I found two rear seats I cannot fully associate to any car.

The upper one on the picture could be from a Giulietta Sprint series 750 (my dad once owned a 750E Alleggerita Veloce)...
But regarding the lower one I have no idea... Most likely it is from a 50s/60s Alfa Romeo, but which modell?!

The parts were in storage until the 80s, and I found them burried deep enough up in the attic.

Help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Regards Clemens

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They both look like they could belong to a Giulietta Sprint. The top one would be the bottom cushion for the rear (occasional) seat. The bottom set would be the backing board along with individual cushions . is the plain rectangular piece semi-circular in design?

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Hi Clements - sorry to hear of Dad passing !

The top one is called "The Disappearing Occasional Rear Seat", it was a period accessory available from Bertone and had to either be specified at the time of the car being ordered or you had to supply the VIN / Chassis number to order it so that Bertone could match up the vinyl trim with what your car was originally specced with in this case it was for a Red car. The "disappearing" part of the name comes from the cushions being hidden under the back parcel tray boards where the back seat would be. Removing the boards revealed the cushions. I'm aware of a few ordered in '57, but the bulk of these rear seat options seem to have been ordered and delivered in 1959. I'd say that it was unlikely that it would have been ordered with a Lightweight due to the inherent racing nature of the beast, but stranger things have happened. Check the underside to see if there is a number in crayon - the accessories were always paired with the vehicle using the last 4 digits of the Bertone Body Number

The second seat also looks to be from a Giulietta Sprint, but is a Dealer or private upholsterer home-made item, definitely NOT the Bertone accessory which had moulded arm rests in the rear 1/4 panels and a folding down armrest in the center of the backrest.

When I'm at my PC tonight, I'll post some pictures

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I wouldn't rule them out as remotely associated with a lightweight. I would offer this ... the Lightweight was the ONLY Veloce model offered in 1957, so if one wanted increased HP, the upgrade option from the standard Sprint, the choice was to spend a little more money and order the Veloce and accept the idiosyncrasies, primarily outwardly the inconvenience of sliding windows and trimmer seats. I am sure the majority of the 600 or so LW's were delivered as "buyer upgrades" rather than with racing motives so i could see these accessories added easily.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

many many thanks for your input!

I guess the upper one is indeed out of my dad's Lightweight Giulietta. Even though this must not mean, that it has been there from the beginning, as it was bought and used as a race car by its first owners (the Zeller brothers from Hammerau Germany). I will have a look for the numbers you mentioned.

Regarding the set below I am a bit lost. I shot some pictures of the underside. The structure of the cushion with rubber straps on the underside make me believe, that this is not from a Giulietta Sprint. But of course I can be wrong.

I will post pictures for clarification, as my English reaches its limit.

Cheers Clemens

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi guys,

many many thanks for your input!

I guess the upper one is indeed out of my dad's Lightweight Giulietta. Even though this must not mean, that it has been there from the beginning, as it was bought and used as a race car by its first owners (the Zeller brothers from Hammerau Germany). I will have a look for the numbers you mentioned.

Regarding the set below I am a bdit lost. I shot some pictures of the underside. The structure of the cushion with rubber straps on the underside make me believe, that this is not from a Giulietta Sprint. But of course I can be wrong.

I will post pictures for clarification, as my English reaches its limit.

Cheers Clemens

You English is a lot better than my German. I'm interested to see how this turns out and am sorry for the loss of your dad.

Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts