Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that Duetto project, Its actually been checked out as being pretty cool. Low numbers, very little rust, in pieces but mostly all there.

Its in a storage unit in Toronto.

I'm trying to get it to Vintage Customs in Burlington Washington.

It doesn't have to get to Washington right away, however, it does have to leave the storage unit, or fees will be greater than the purchase price.

Oh, and of course there is a wrinkle. There are no wheels. I was thinking of driving a full-sized vehicle with the U-haul dolly but even with new wheels (or loaners) who knows if the bearings could take it.

I've even thought of buying a full sized trailer somewhere near there (Buffalo? Detroit?) using it for the trip west, then selling it (the trailer). Who knows.

The car is on an AUTO Dolly and can be moved around.

Any thoughts?
Robert
Portland.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the bearings since they should be replaced anyway. I would see about getting loaner wheels and paying someone to carry the baby to WA. I have had luck in Hemmings Motor News in finding like two guys and a truck. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
One thing you haven't told us is whether you plan on physically being in Toronto when the Duetto is loaded. And if you are, whether you will fly or drive. If you are driving out, could you borrow a set of wheels & tires from Vintage Customs and get them to Toronto yourself? VC probably has some wheels & tires around, and obviously they will get them back when the car makes it to Washington. Don't forget to borrow 16 lug nuts as well.

When buying any car in pieces, I would strongly recommend that you supervise the loading. When the box with all the gauges gets left behind, or the convertible top frame blows off the trailer, the time and money spent replacing them will more than offset the time and money spent on making the trip. Another advantage of driving out and back: you can carry the fragile/valuable stuff back yourself.

I like italcarnut's idea of having a carrier who advertises in Hemmings do the hauling. Even if you get new wheels and tires, the vehicle needs to be registered and insured if any of its wheels are on the road. So, the condition of the bearings are the least of your concerns. Oh, and you need some lights to be working (yea, you could use those lights that attach with magnets). But for cross-continent moving, I like the idea of a) using a pro, and b) having the car up on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the good advice. I will hit up VC for a set of wheels. Of course this is all awkward since I live in Portland. Lot of driving around for this.

So much driving around. How bad is it?? I've been shopping for an old school Jeep Grand Wagoneer in Detroit and Buffalo to haul the thing back. I'm kinda needed in Portland for the next 45 days, so this is really becoming taxing. Plus, (good news) I received a scholarship to study wine in the south of France March 1-6th (ALL EXPENSES PAID!!)

Thanks for the advice. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and if I can avoid going to Toronto, wow, I'd pretty much do anything. Somebody want to supervise?? I'll reward you with a bottle of Oregon's finest, Beaux Freres. Or, if Napa Cab is your style, Silver Oak, Far Niente, Mondavi Reserve, you pick, but gotta say, Oregon Pinot is best.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I had to bring my car back to Toronto from out west and found that the easiest way was to first have it transported to Buffalo (the transport company had a holding depot there). I then drove down with a U-haul trailer picked-up and came back across the border with it myself. Not many transport companies were willing to haul a vehicle that was non-runner (let alone in pieces)....plus they wanted another $500 for vehicle import delays and brokerage.

Perhaps you need to find a firm that can haul it to Vancouver for you on this side of the border (thereby eliminating the vehicle importation problem for them) then you simply pick it up and bring it back yourself afterwards....just a thought.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a set of wheels you can borrow, but you would have to find tires for them. At least I'm near Portland. I also have a tow bar that worked fairly well on a 85 spider, if you want to give that a try! PM me if so.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2600 John Street
Unit 224
Markham, ON
L3R 3W3

is where its at. Honestly, if someone could figure out a way to at least get it to Buffalo or Detroit...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I could be wrong, but I doubt if anyone but you can import it into the US. There are lots of us in Toronto but I don't know we can help.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a car with OHIO plates, and obviously it doesn't run.

The sellers have a storage unit place and it was left behind 7 years ago.

The car comes with a bill of sale, and according to these guys, it just shouldn't be that difficult to get across, that they've done similar in times past.

Rolling basket case, not registered in 7 years, could be considered more Parts than Auto.

PM me if you think you can help somehow.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm thinking if it has Ohio tags and title, bringing it back "home" shouldn't be too much drama. I would contact DMV in your state and plea my case. Getting all the paperwork dealt with seems to be the first thing to do. All the driving around and all the hassles will seem trivial after the first time you start the engine. South of France huh? Awesome. I'm thinking a dozen oysters on the half shell and a bottle of Sancerre. I used to be in the wine business and they sent me on a 10 day wine tour to Spain. Time of my life! Have fun!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ay Ay Ay, Um, SOuth of France means a rose of Grenache with the sea-food platter. Or a Chateau-neuf-de-Pape with a roasted lamb and rosemary sauce.

Sancerre is Loire.

Good thinking. I'll contact DMV and see if I can't get a temporary permit.

So, where are you at??

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Oh yes I didn't mean that you are going to Sancerre territory, I just like the flavor. Maybe with Chilean sea bass. I don't care for the drier wines that are flavorless like Pinot Grigio. That roasted lamb sounds lovely! I am in Pittsburgh, the steel buckle of the rust belt.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what I know so far.

It is less than a grand to ship a rolling chassis from Detroit. A little more from Buffalo. Of course, the car is actually in a northeastern suburb of Toronto.
Somehow it needs to be transported stateside -
And I need to borrow some wheels.
Robert

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Just an idea, You are going to need wheels anyway. Why not just buy a set from say Tom Zat at APE or someone that has a set and have them send them to Toronto. I don't know if I can be of some service but I am about 300+ miles south of your baby.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Here's what I know so far.

It is less than a grand to ship a rolling chassis from Detroit. A little more from Buffalo. Of course, the car is actually in a northeastern suburb of Toronto.
Somehow it needs to be transported stateside -
And I need to borrow some wheels.
Robert
in a pinch find some early 4 bolt ford mustang wheels with tires

1 - 19 of 19 Posts