Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in IT but I'm a software developer or configuration person. I absolutely hate hardware issues and have no interest in the physical thing that is the computer, driver updates, etc.

So I'm having trouble with the piece of metal, plastic and glass that once was a nice car to drive.

I've bought an interface cable called VAG KKL + FIATECUSCAN. The second part gives me hope as it, hopefully intentionally, mentions FIAT.

Unfortunately my home notebook is running Windows 8.1 and I cannot get this cable and this notebook to play nicely together. It just thinks it is a serial adapter, but every piece of software I've found that might work needs a COM port number, or doesn't detect it if I ask it to search for the interface. I've found sites that supposedly should solve this issue, but nope my notebook is playing hard ball, and no solution yet.

So please, and I'm sorry for the tone of this post but from the return trip from Kaikoura, this car has turned into a drama AND of course work has piled up so I've had to work my arse off upon return, and now shattered ... and no running car at all!

So I'm prepared to spend up to $200 (already wasted $300 on a spare new battery to get the thing home), what, in terms that a child would understand, do I need to purchase to get my notebook and car to talk to each other so we have a small chance of fixing her so she returns to being the reliable and fun car to drive again

Many thanks. I will try and pluck up enough like of the car to wash her now
Pete

·
Registered
995 Posts
Pete, sorry I can't help with the IT stuff but just a couple of points to consider.
Has the car died all together now? It wont even start with a fresh charge on the new battery?
My main point, when the car starts to run low on voltage it will start logging every possible error code you can think of. You need to fix the no charge issue, clear all the codes and start again. If that makes sense. Or another way of putting it is because the voltage has dropped its likely when you scan the car it will be full of error codes so don't be alarmed that is quite normal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
For what its worth here's a strange story.

When I bought my GTA the charge light would come on the dash If I accelerated hard. As you now know the dash beeps and gives you a warning. The previous owner had just fitted a new alternator to try and fix the problem to no avail. I hooked up my multimeter to the batter and drove around for a few weeks with it inside the car. Sure enough when I accelerated hard the alternator would stop charging and then come back. So suspecting a dud replacement alternator I fitted another one. Same problem. I checked this and that, cleaned plugs ect ect. So I was left resigned to the fact I had to try a third alternator.

One day I was out the back of the airport having a play and again the dash started beeping....no charge ...no charge. I lost my crap and smashed hell out of the top of the dash. Over a year later I have never seen the no charge warning again.

In this case obviously something in the dash is not right and was interfering with the charge light circuit causing the alternator to cut out. I'm not suggesting you go out and smash your dash but rather offering some encouragement. It happens to all of us.

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car starts when battery has charge, so yes I should pull the undertray and have a look at the alternator.

I will admit to slamming the drivers door, but the dash has not been attacked.

I've cleaned her now, but don't think I'm mentally up to investigating the alternator yet so thought I'd get my new cable working

Hopefully after another sleep I'm ready to attack!!
Pete

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Think I will buy an AutoLink. Scratch that, I'll buy an ELM 327! and use a phone app

Pete

·
Push hard and live
10,904 Posts
Why not the MULTIECUSCAN and the Bluetooth adapter? Once I corrected a previous mechanic's efforts to rewire the car, it worked perfectly. I'm using an Ipad mini, but as I understand it the IOs capability was a recent addition to the MULTIECUSCAN system, so working with your older laptop shouldn't be a big deal. Although... Windows 8.1 is what? 15 years out of date? That may be the first step.

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the ELM327 will allow me to use a phone app, and eliminate my ancient notebook from the equation.

The problem I have is getting my computer and the cable to talk, I guess I could get a bluetooth adapter for my notebook, in the future if I need to.

So all good. $30 wasted on a useless cable ... lol
Pete

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you download multiscan the is also information about which cables work , i bought a bluetooth and a cable and neither worked. i then ordered the correct one but they could'nt shipp it because of COVID . ended up taking it to a local guy and just paid him to scan it

cheers Ian

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay Elm327 and Torque App are not able to connect to my ECU. Think it's the app as can't do simply things on it ... they are talking to each other though.

Getting sick of this
Pete

·
Push hard and live
10,904 Posts
Shall I get you more specifics on my Bluetooth connector? Connects and works seamlessly with my IPad.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
Have you tried a standalone code reader? I've found those to be much more reliable than the ones that use a PC or phone app.

Unfortunately my home notebook is running Windows 8.1 and I cannot get this cable and this notebook to play nicely together. It just thinks it is a serial adapter, but every piece of software I've found that might work needs a COM port number, or doesn't detect it if I ask it to search for the interface. I've found sites that supposedly should solve this issue, but nope my notebook is playing hard ball, and no solution yet.
If you open Device Manager and expand Ports you should see a "USB to Serial Adapter". Open that, go to Port Settings and click the Advanced button. That's where you can set the COM port.

If there's a setting for Latency Timer you might need to change that from 16 to 1 as well, not sure.

·
Push hard and live
10,904 Posts
Here’s some sample pages from MULTIECUSCAN.

1605765287814.png

1605765072812.png 1605765101474.png 1605765150723.png

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is the cheap one I bought for mine. It reads and clears Scanner 01.JPG Scanner 02.JPG codes. Has some useful live data but its no where near as powerful as the professional ones I'm used to.

I have downloaded Multiecuscan scan, yet to by the cable.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If I leave my ignition on for longer than say 30 seconds without starting the engine (listening to the radio for example) the engine light comes on and I get a motorized throttle body error code. I have tried many many things to stop it happening. Apparently its fairly common. Its a COV (characteristic of vehicle). That's the dealer code for we understand your problem but we can't fix it.
Anywho that doesn't help Pete.

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you open Device Manager and expand Ports you should see a "USB to Serial Adapter". Open that, go to Port Settings and click the Advanced button. That's where you can set the COM port.

If there's a setting for Latency Timer you might need to change that from 16 to 1 as well, not sure.
Yeah my notebook would not play that game, but might have another look.

Why isn't there a site that says you need this and that for car, and model, and it all just works!
Pete

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might be easier to put a SU carb on the end of the inlet plenum, and belt drive a distributor, and throw all the computer **** in the bin where it belongs
Pete

·
Registered
995 Posts
Pete any good workshop that does a variety of cars will have more than one expensive scanner. For something that is supposed to be universal (obd) its not. People don't understand just how difficult some cars are to scan. Even when your told a given product works sometimes it just doesn't. Its easy to see why people get annoyed at the scan fee but if you have 30-50K invested in diagnostic equipment??? Its not just Italian cars.

I do like the idea of three downdraft 45mm carbs on a 3.2 . Shame nothing else will work without the ecu lol
You could always buy another sud.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you go to the Multiscan webpage they recommend some cables

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pete any good workshop that does a variety of cars will have more than one expensive scanner. For something that is supposed to be universal (obd) its not. People don't understand just how difficult some cars are to scan. Even when your told a given product works sometimes it just doesn't. Its easy to see why people get annoyed at the scan fee but if you have 30-50K invested in diagnostic equipment??? Its not just Italian cars.

I do like the idea of three downdraft 45mm carbs on a 3.2 . Shame nothing else will work without the ecu lol
You could always buy another sud.
Its at least $70 a time, and that was for a Honda Odyssey, for an Alfa Romeo it will be what ... ? ... But might have to.

In the end, electronics and computers ruined the automobile, made them disposable pieces of rubbish. They could have so easily installed a tiny 4 digit display to display error codes ... but nope, they want you to purchase a new car when the old ones starts giving trouble, which it will because delicate electronics and sensors do not like to live on a vibrating hot engine.

To successfully own a car like this I need to be able to talk to it's ECU
Pete

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yeah I wasn't suggesting you go pay someone, that was just a general comment on how difficult it can be and why someone might need to pay.
You are right. For someone that wants to do maintenance you need to be able to connect to it.

I don't think electronics and computers ruined the automobile. Maybe your a little frustrated now but without them you would still be driving a sud. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Once you have a scan tool that works and is effective its a revelation not a hinderance. As you know my friend the times they are a changing.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts