Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are many brands out there. What is the consensus on the best?? Seems the a zip out rear window is a good idea, easier to replace should it get dull.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
No manufacturer offers a zip out rear window... The window is still attached along the bottom so it simply folds down when unzipped.

There are plenty of choices and preferences, and more than a handful of threads on the topic. A search is certainly in order here, and be prepared for some long discussions. The good news is that it is hard to go wrong with any of the reputable suppliers, which you can find on the sticky of Alfa suppliers.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do me a favor, my search doesn't show me the massive discussion you speak of. Could you give me a link??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give. The search just didn't help.

WHo has bought a top recently?? I'm leaning towards Alfa Romeo Spider Convertible Tops
esportscar parts. They say they used to make the originals for FIAT before they left our shores. Anyone have an opinion??

And-
What are insulated quarter panels?? Do I need them?? Didn't know my quarters got cold.

Thats why I wear flannel boxers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Stayfast is considered to be very good material for a top. I'm not familiar with this particular company but their prices appear to be very reasonable.
I would imagine the insulated quarters provide a certain amount of sound deadening not temperature. My top has no insulation in the quarters so I can't say whether or not it's a good idea.
Check the prices at Robbins auto tops or world upholstery they are both very good companies.
Ventura Alfa

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, pretty good prices also.

So, just how desirable is the zippered window??
Robert
Oregon, if its not raining, the top is down, not sure the value of unzipping the rear window.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yowzers. I looked at both Centerline and IAP, both are double the price. I like supporting them since they keep our cars on the road, but how does one rationalize the extra dough. Are there that many more details to make it worth the bucks??
Robert

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not so much about being able to have the window open, as it's about ease of replacement. For me, it seems like so much work to remove a softtop just to replace the rear window - akin to pulling the engine to drain the oil.

As for effectiveness in keeping out the rain? The top and sides of the window should be somewhat protected from rain by the edge of the softtop - the lower edge however, may trap the water, so would have to rely on the interior rain gutter.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the windows only zip along the top and sides. The sides are sewn/glued in

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
wow, pretty good prices also.

Robert
Oregon, if its not raining, the top is down, not sure the value of unzipping the rear window.
Not much in my opinion. After 32 years of ownership and having replaced the top 4 times I know that, with proper care, the window will last the life of the top. In addition, the zippered windows, as offered, wouldn't be any easier to replace - the labor and materials cost would probably be close to a new top anyway.

Finally, if you look at vehicles that do have zip our rear windows such as Triumphs and Miatas you'll probably notice that they tend to sag after awhile and do not maintain the taut appearance of the Alfa. Also, with the top up and both side windows down there is no lack of ventilation. I've never been in an Alfa with a zip out window but it's quite possible you may get an unpleasant backdraft with the rear window open.

Plus it's a hundred bucks more so if your philosophy is to come out ahead economically if the need to replace it comes about don't forget to add that figure to your equation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The zipped window is a nice feature, but I would prefer it not because it is easier/harder to replace but due to the fact that you can drive without it in a hot sunny day.
From maintenance point of view, I think they are equal...
Saar.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I'm going through some guy named ED who has access to Robbins tops.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have an unknown maker black vynal top, leather grained not fabric weave. It is out of the box and new never installed without instructions. $100 plus shippping and it is yours. You can get instrallation instructions here on the BB in the technical digest section.
I bought it off the BB but did not use it because my 88 veloce was drowned and I bought a Quad with a good top.

Robert Hill in Memphis, Tn [email protected]

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
If he doesn't take it I will, last task on resto, just drove it out on the highway today, still grinning:)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Robert, are you keeping the Quad dry?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you for the offer, however, I just bought the robbins brand top on the advice of my installer friend who has installed all the brands and definitely has an opinion or two (I think he said to avoid Acme).

The top on it now leaks in 4 different places. It was a california car, under a cover, probly never saw a drop of rain.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Which one you bought ? Robbins has Vinyl, Stayfast and German cloth. Let us know how it turns out, I will have to do it in the next few months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts