Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For awhile now I have been thinking of selling my Merak, very nice car, great shape, love it...but have had it 15 years and don't use it as much as I'd like. I usually only take it out on very nice days and when I have a long drive, not the day to day type of trip and driving I wish to enjoy.
My current late night thinking is that I sell the Maserati and look for a Super, (later hanging pedals Ok with me). In my mind I want to really do the suspension up, brakes, and extra HP/torque maybe even a twin spark, (Yeah, I'm not purist). Nothing too radical with he motor, I want it drivable and torquie, but I really want to do the suspension, maybe Alfaholics fast road kit. (big $$'s I know).
my goal? A fast great handling car that I can use as a daily in the nice weather but will also be a great drive on the weekends, windy roads etc. I don't do track days but I like having more handling and braking capability than I could ever need.
I don't really care about the spacious trunk or back seat, but love the large green house and great visibility.
Am I nuts? How doable is this? Questions? Negatives I should think about? or problems with my thought processes?
should I just drive my Merak more? The later SS ones w/o the Citroen hydraulics are actually becoming quite dear and even that worries me. Is the car becoming too precious for me to enjoy driving w/o being paranoid? selling the Merak would give me the funds to do a really nice Super. I think I fell in love when I saw the tan one in a video, (forgot the owner but the video, maybe from Petrolicious was shared here I think last year)
Any help?
ps. On a Super I could do most of the wrenching myself, Merak not as much.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
You sound like you want a car like a friend has. Have a look through this thread on his car : http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/186158-super-modified-super-6.html
It is a street car but he has all the Alfaholics suspension and brakes so the ride can be dialed up and down. It has a twinspark on carbs and is a hoot to drive through the hills. He also takes it to track days regularly.
The greenhouse on a Super is fantastic and they are very comfortable for long drives. I don't know a single Giulia driver or past driver who doesn't have fond memories of their car.
Easy to work on, very practical, looks great and gets lots of comments. How can you lose! Not like I am biased or anything...

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nothing beats the greenhouse of a Super. I can't wait to get mine on the road. I am building it totally stock with the plans to upgrade later as I drive it. Even once I fully restore the car it will be easy to upgrade afterwards. I should have spent the extra money and time to do the 2.0 brakes on the front though and the adjustable top suspension arm. Still, those would be easy to change later. The springs are a snap to replace. I will try stock first and go from there as I drive it.

For the motor I am going stock 1600 but adding cams and exhaust will be easy later as well. The head will be somewhat ported and polished. I am looking forward to seeing what it is like in stock form before I get to modifying.

One point you make is that you don't care about the back seat or the trunk. In this case you could easily expand your search to a GTV as the greenhouse and driving comfort are also great (but different). There really is no substitute for that great upright driving position of the Super.

Just let me know when you are ready to trade me your Merak :).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toddfiebig- Its not that I don't care at all about the back seat and trunk, it's just that everyone ways mentions them in the conversation vs the coupe. And although I adore the looks of ghe coupe, the upright seating position and greenhouse wins it for me.
I have to get s better idea of Merak values before I do anything. They have always been rather low, but took a huge jump lady year and still climbing. ( have you seen 308 prices lately!), yes I know Meraks trail those but the SS's are more rare and Bora prices went through the roof.
Still I'm starting to feel I've done the exotic thing, now I wdnt to do the hot rodded / tweaked / optimized sports sedan almost practical thing, maybe.
I read all of the thread from that Aussie pne. That car as great as the build is may be just a little more than I'm looking to do.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
The best advice..(worth what it costs you) I can give in your situation is to drive the Merak until you find a prepped car to your liking. Starting from scratch to do what you want to do to a Super is going to put you and your bank account on it's butt even though it might seem like a little pedestrian 4 cylinder car compared to the Merak. You will get much more bang for your buck to find a car close to where you want to be with only minor changes you can fiddle with as you go. There are far more buyers looking for original Supers than modified ones and it seems far more modified ones than buyers so it plays to your script.

You might own two cars for a short time but you will be happier in the end.

In the meantime, you can start lining up your prospective buyers for the Merak. Good luck

PS: don't rule out an import from the EU.. They have a passion for souping these things up and the cost is chump change living in NY.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice!

The best advice..(worth what it costs you) I can give in your situation is to drive the Merak until you find a prepped car to your liking. Starting from scratch to do what you want to do to a Super is going to put you and your bank account on it's butt even though it might seem like a little pedestrian 4 cylinder car compared to the Merak. You will get much more bang for your buck to find a car close to where you want to be with only minor changes you can fiddle with as you go. There are far more buyers looking for original Supers than modified ones and it seems far more modified ones than buyers so it plays to your script.

You might own two cars for a short time but you will be happier in the end.

In the meantime, you can start lining up your prospective buyers for the Merak. Good luck

PS: don't rule out an import from the EU.. They have a passion for souping these things up and the cost is chump change living in NY.
Thanks, I know that is good advice and hopefully I have the patience to listen. I just may need a little expert assistance on importing and registering a car. Luckily I am in no rush as I am still on the fence with selling the Merak SS and patiently waiting to see where the market really is. Maybe the "right " car will come up and force my decision. 1/2 the fun is searching, then the "uh oh" moment found it, what do I do now?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
A really nice upper-end and highly fettled early Super came up a while back and reportedly sold. In fact, it's a bit of a unsettled market but leaning to a US buyer's market right now. The Page 1 index on the Wanted Alive thread shows some 20 for sale in the past 6 months. Compared to a few years ago, it was hard to find a good one every 6 months or so and few in total. The index speaks for itself. Almost any of them would be a good base for a modified car, even a 1300 with the engine plans you have. A stepnose GT is a nice car also but prices are advancing pretty quickly. I've put on over 40,000 miles in Supers over the past 4 years (without a commute) in longer trips, shorter trips and short errands. A great, versatile and fun "go to" car if you are over the "exotic bug". Good luck! B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts