Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New occupant arrived today. One owner, less than 70k miles.

I can imagine the aged 102 whispering “hold on, son. It can get weird around here.”

Attachments

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
More like "you're one lucky chap ending up here. Should have seen me when I turned up ... "

Pete

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plot is a little thicker than it appears.

My 16 year old grandson can be stupendously motivated, in football (two-way starter as a sophomore), music (honor band student), and video games (banned from this home). Other facets of life, not so much.

He occasionally mentions wanting to get his driver’s license. My guidelines are that HE has to get the test book, study it, pass the written, and raise the first six month’s insurance cost ($500). So far, no action.

To those of you that have blundered into my tales of romantic shipwrecks, you’ll be amused to hear that “Maria” is now in residence. She is from Colombia, and speaks about the same amount of English as I do espanol. We are both learning.

My grandson is resistant to sharing my attentions. Or, responding positively to any suggestions I make. So, I’ve parked a promising series 2 in the well-equipped shop. Spare engine already in engine stand, if needed. Maria is going to ask the recalcitrant lad to help her freshen-up the blue convertible. He will probably agree. After some grumbling.

If we’re lucky, he will grow to accept his co-resident, end up with a cool car to drive, and improve his first-year Spanish grade.

Old age and treachery.....

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Congratulations on the two 'new' arrivals...

Teenage boys can be a bit *****ly (like a type of cactus that starts with a "P" and rhymes with 'Stickley'). Just give him time and space but let him know that he is well loved and appreciated -despite his demeanor. Eventually he will grow out of it; the hormones will normalize and you will find that you contributed to raising a nice young man, who will be eternally grateful for your time and effort. I know very few details concerning the circumstances of him being there with you -or his parents but can imagine it is not his preferred 'situation'. You Don Peterson are a good man and are to be commended for your efforts.

Regarding Maria and your "tales of romantic shipwrecks, you’ll be amused to hear that “Maria” is now in residence. She is from Colombia, and speaks about the same amount of English as I do espanol." I can't see what could possibly go wrong. Cogli l'attimo! (or seize the moment!) and Dove c'è amore c'è vita (Where there is love, there is life, seem to apply).

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hiya Mark,

Confirm all observations.

Yesterday, I four-stage polished much of the car, removing some white overspray by the PO during a careless garage project. The paint is coming up quite nicely. Evidence of minor repair at the left rear corner up near the trunk. Not worth further repair, but it might explain the relatively good appearance of the paint. Maria spent about two hours with cutips detailing the dash, gauges, etc, plus vacuuming and cleaning the rest of the interior bits.

The grandson took a nap and played on his computer.

I'm happily surprised at the availability and low price of parts for this car. Compared to anything and everything 102, of course.

Plan requires revision...

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s nice no one has barked at me for discussing a 115 project in the 1900-2000-2600 playground.

This little diversion is a personal story, and not really a mechanical tale, and you guys are my peeps and already accustomed to my aberrant philosophical rants. Plus, it’s being carried out in the imposing shadow of 1488; hopefully lending inspiration to an often dispirited lad.

So...

Last night, immediately after coming home from football practice (he was sobbing after last week’s loss), he announced he had something he needed to do before dinner. He went straight to the shop, claiming he wanted to work on the car.

Whoa...

I followed him in, and showed him I’d woken up some of the electrics and continued paint restoration. He climbed into the driver’s seat, touching all of the controls, and asked if the tear in the driver’s seat bottom could be fixed?

I related the tale of how my father bought “me” a pile of HO train components when I was 8 years old, then restricted me to watching him assemble it, not allowing so much as a touch. I offered to guide his efforts with this car, but promised it would be his work.

A promising start...

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
What year is that spider? It looks like a great car to clean up. I had a red 1975 Spider that looked just like that. My first Alfa, a 1974 was that same color blue. There are a couple of post '75 spiders in the Atlanta club with stainless steel topped earlier bumpers that look very nice.

When I bought my first car, a 1970 MGB, my mother politely told me "your father does not work on cars". She said "if you break it, you fix it". That's how the story goes... now, my son and former garage buddy, living 'independently' in Independence MO, is fearless. He daily drives a 1986 BMW 535i with a B-12 something, something swapped motor, slammed 'on bags' in a set-up that he custom built...but he loves Alfa's too.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,

77. One owner. Apparently unmolested. Nicely repainted in 90s. Dark red interior actually in good shape, except for a tear in driver’s seat bottom.

My goal is a dependable driver for a teenager. It is not easy for me to say “that’s good enough” when looking at 42 years of patina.

I’m going step by step toward a reawakening. Football season ends this Friday, so the lad can start learning what a car looks like from the bottom up. Plan is to have his dad here most Sundays.

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outer driver’s door handle fixed. Sorted out ignition switch wiring. Changed oil. Squirted gas into intake tubes. Fired right up.

Tank smells of long-dead gas. No main fuel pump sound. Old Bankrupt radio gotta go. Wipers, lights, signals, seatbelt buzzer work.

Boy sat in it and repeated my “squirt fuel” start-up test.

Big grin.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
lucky/fortunate kid, but not for the car. ciao, chris

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lucky/fortunate kid, but not for the car. ciao, chris
I sense you have raised a teenage boy. Or remember your own youth.

My first car was given to me by my grandmother when I was 15. She was an old woman of 66, with a game leg, so drove only on sunny days to go to the church, grocer, hair appointment, or her ladies’ book club.

The car was a 1956 Ford Fairlane, pink and white four door, with a matching pink and white embroidered cloth interior, A/C, auto, AM/FM radio, power brakes and steering, and a 312 “T-Bird Interceptor” V8 engine. It had 43,000 miles on it when it arrived.

What could possibly go wrong with that formula?

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Don your social life is an irrefutable triumph of optimism over experience

Glad you have another car project to tinker with, it will keep you out the house and hopefully out of trouble for at least a portion of the day........

In theory your new toy should be in the 105/115 Forum, however the bulk of your Support Group is here, (Hi everyone, my name is Greig and I'm an Alfaholic...), so inevitably the 102's will loom large in the background - that said if this thread segues too far away from your 102 endevours into a pure 105/115 rebuild then we can look at either a new thread or moving this one into the 105/115 Forum.

Dark blue over burgundy - lovely combination, am watching this one with keen interest

Aye
Greig

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Mr Don, we've exchanged a few notes over the years. Grandson is lucky in that he's a "victim" of your wisdom and guidance. I have raised one of each and getting them thru the teens was interesting. They've evolved into fine adults and in this respect, my job is done. I can now enjoy what you are enjoying - Grand children. This raises the question tho... how useful would a soon to be very precocious 4 yr old be with an old Italian car? Things that make on go "hmmmmm". ciao, chris

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Don your social life is an irrefutable triumph of optimism over experience

Glad you have another car project to tinker with, it will keep you out the house and hopefully out of trouble for at least a portion of the day........

In theory your new toy should be in the 105/115 Forum, however the bulk of your Support Group is here, (Hi everyone, my name is Greig and I'm an Alfaholic...), so inevitably the 102's will loom large in the background - that said if this thread segues too far away from your 102 endevours into a pure 105/115 rebuild then we can look at either a new thread or moving this one into the 105/115 Forum.

Dark blue over burgundy - lovely combination, am watching this one with keen interest

Aye
Greig
It really needs to move on to the proper aisle.. you won't lose anyone... and the "support group" will be there in duplicates and multiply. Ask me how I know.

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To those suggesting this thread be moved. I offer the following...

Per Emerson..

"A senseless consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".

This is not a comment upon those suggesting the thread be moved. In fact, it is to raise the issue of what is "senseless consistency".

This thread is not really about maintenance on a 115. In fact, if I need a help on an obscure point, I would immediately post the question over in the 105/115 area.

Is the thread about women? Perhaps it should go into the "Women and Alfas" area? Nope. First of all, I wouldn't diminish the merit of any of my past romances by making them appear as only eye-candy. Though generally beautiful, and sometimes caught by my camera next to an Alfa, their value was always more cerebral.

Is there a thread about a boy's first car? An Alfa? Not that I can find. Plus, I don't perceive that this thread is only about that.

As for "support". Pshaw. I'm just a drunk with an Alfa, Airplane, Tango, and writing problem. My occasional purgative screeds posted within this 1900/102/106 section are because that's what writers with impulse control issues do. For technical support, I seek the experts where they live. For moral support, I seek good reds, single malts, and my dearest friends, although they would claim there was no morality present to support.

So - to those suggesting this thread be moved....

If it is forcibly relocated, I could impulsively end up posting how my grandson just got his first driving lesson in a hot-rod 102. What would we do then?

My own opinion is that this thread is a simple one, sharing a current enjoyment with an Alfa. It will probably end up including comments on 115s, 102s, women, parenting, dancing tango with inadequately clothed ladies, flying off on ill-considered adventures, high school football, and sharing a home with a person with whom I do not share a language.

That last one is a little like having an Alfa with manuals only in Italian. Both worth the effort.

But, if there is a consistency that is not foolish, move it. I tend not to follow orders well....

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I found Alfas with manuals only in french beyond my capability.

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I briefly dated a lady, born American, living in Europe, whose business was producing animated films and TV shows in French, German, Spanish, Basque, and Italian. I quickly realized she was bipolar as well as multilingual, so decided to keep at least an ocean away.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
As this car is for a red-blooded grandson, I suggest chucking a roll bar on her ... just in case.

When I look back at how I was as a driver at his age, well I'm utterly amazed that I survived ... :surprise:
Pete

1 - 20 of 46 Posts