Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My feet get extremely hot from the exhaust. It's fine during winter but almost unbearable during summer. Any experiences w/ heat shields?

Thanx!

Jay Hiram

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The 2 L exhaust is v. close to the floor of my 101 Spider and there was an aluminium heat shield missing on the brake box.--aluminium shielding was fabricated and installed, and another sheet secured above and down to the collector. This prevents some of the heat from getting to the floor.

The COATED(inside and out) headers down to the collector throw a lot of heat.

The next step was to curb the heat coming from the floor to the feet and legs.

Put down a layer of reflective space-blanket, then a layer of 4 mil closed-cell sleeping mat stuff from a outdoors shop.

Not expensive, but effective--didn't glue it all down.

By Spring I will add something similar to the firewall--not on the engine-side as it is hard to do with the engine in and wouldn't look good anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I put this on another thread, but it is relevant here. On my 74 Spider, I speculated that painting the exhaust with high temp aluminum paint would help, and it did, dramatically, lowering both underhood and underfeet temperatures. The paint came from the local paint shop, two coats applied by brush after careful hand sanding, with the system hung from garage rafters with nylon rope through the bolt holes. Hardest part of the job is getting the manifold back on with the engine in place; it required my wife's thin fingers guiding it from above while I pushed from above. Picture is after 6 months and 3,000 miles, looking far better than it had before, too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oops, I pushed from below.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Let me guess Lightweight ..... no kids?
Jay,
I was just in ACE hardware today and noticed some aluminum sheets they had for wood stoves and such. Since I have to replace my heat shields, I was think they would be a good material for fabricating what I would need. Something like that might work for you too?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm definitely gonna look into that! Thanx!

Let me guess Lightweight ..... no kids?
Jay,
I was just in ACE hardware today and noticed some aluminum sheets they had for wood stoves and such. Since I have to replace my heat shields, I was think they would be a good material for fabricating what I would need. Something like that might work for you too?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Correct, about kids, incidentally. I read Paul Ehrlich's Population Bomb back when it first came out in 1968, and while some of the details were off, his jist remains unavoidably true. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif. In the large-scale energy analyses I went on to shortly afterwards, the user name I adopted tells how a great difference can be made, but sheer numbers need restraint, too. Both allow more fun, without practical worry that there won't be enough people feeling differently about reproduction to assure a supply of rug rats for the future. There's certainly no shortage near where I live.

The heat issue was and is interesting, with the best place to keep heat being inside the pipes, where it can assist flows, too, not just to try to isolate oneself from it. The PO had installed reflective mats, which did not solve the problem. I got into deeper into the issue as a part-time pro photographer, after seeing a study by Mercedes that white cars stayed 20 degrees cooler than those with any (other) color in their paint, except aluminum, which can make a notable difference to cameras left inside, as well as larger items. The blackbody equations in physics tell why. For exhausts, I tried white on my Guilia, and found, not surprisingly, that oil and other environmental arrivals all too quickly undid the attempt at improvement, no matter how pretty it looked initially. The aluminum has seemed to hold up pretty well, a year and half so far on the bulk of the exhaust. It also reduces the quick tendency to rust. The joker is that the pipes can be still seriously hot to the touch, even though their radiation while running is dramatically reduced, and there's less tactile warning when approaching them. The old chant from my chemistry glassblowing instructor applies, "hot glass looks the same as cold glass". On the Mazda, I wrapped the headers with tape-like stuff that drag racers use (from Summit Automotive), which protects as well as shields, but looks somewhat tacky.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 78, and after rebuilding the engine I forgot to put the shield on, that goes where the cat goes. I cooked that summer untill I put it back on. I was suprised that it did that big of a job. is that shield there? I would restrain from wraps for the most part as they work too well; the hold the heat in sometimes to the detrament of the pipe; over stressing it making it crack or erode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts