Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cylinder, that is:). Last year the old one in the car decided it was time to spill it's guts out (completly) :( about 2 miles from home. I did manage to start the car in gear and motor home thru 3 red lights (while my wife gave me the "alls clear" shout) and managed to shut the car off before it went thru the back of the garage..

As I said before, if yours is of unknow age, I'd recommend for the $60 dollar cost (including new hose) to replace it. Two weeks prior to the incident above, I was 300 miles away from home and to think of trying to find a replacement where I was, would have been a horror. For good measure, I also bought a new clutch master cylinder (not included in the $60 calculation). I figured it would be one less thing to worry about. I think it cost about $90 (or so).

Anyway:), yesterday while bleeding the brakes, I also bled the slave. Suprisingly, expecting to find pretty clean fluid, the initial purge was not too nice. Don't forget to bleed the slave cylinder each time you do the brakes. It's an important little guy.

Here is where it is located in case you've never seen it. It's by the clutch fork - it's the "thingy" with the rubber bellows.

it takes a 7mm wrench for the bleeder and you hold the slave with a cresent wrench

Underhood - cap is off the clutch master cylinder reservour

Finally on the last caliper. I did the gravity bleed. It took forever. I started to use my Motive bleeder but changed my mine. I used regular 'ol Dot 3 fluid that you'd find in Pep Boys - nothing fancy. I bought 2 qts and just about used it all. Next year, I'll probably use Ford HD Dot 3 fluid that has a higher boiling point.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok...where did you get that new ate brake bottle????
:( Sorry, it's not to ATE spec's but it was part of the kit that came with one of the Vacumn brake bleed units that include the hand pump - the name of which escapes me at the moment (Mitivac ? or Motovac?). I've found those units helpful after caliper rebuilds because it's sometimes hard to get the fluid started on a totally dry system. I'm not in favor of using them for a total bleed because it could have the tendency to pull air in from the caliper seals - but it's a good unit to have for the collection:)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts