Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 164 but feel alienated by Alfa culture. Some are weird, some are jerks. They are either rich jerks, or they are weird eccentric engineer types from remote places. All focus seems to be the Spyder/ Graduate thing. 80% of Alfa owners have The Graduate. The GTV6 guys are in their own world, can’t talk to them. The left over 164 guys are all weird. Either have some mechanic that does the work for them, or Phd in Engineering from Alabama that can’t help anyone that isn’t a mechanical engineer….or the 3rd group, they are actually Italian, and they are no help to me either.

·
Administrator
12,751 Posts
I'm sensing this post was intending to be humorous :)

To do your own work on any Alfa Romeo does require some appreciation of engineering. I suspect that on older Chevy's you could get away with lots of not understanding stuff, but even so doing things properly will result in a better result. My suggestion, is just get the spanners out and start and ask questions. As you get deeper in to it, your questions will start making sense to the Phd types and they will be able to help.

We Alfa people are weird, you will just have to get used to that. Rich jerks don't usually buy Alfas, there are plenty of other cars that do the 'look at me I'm rich' thing better
Pete

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
Look, if you didn't want to hang out with a bunch of maladjusted weirdos you really bought the wrong marque.

·
Administrator
12,751 Posts
Well said Gubi :D :D

Oh and we all need to vent about our Alfas sometimes!
Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,813 Posts
Daddy164:

One thing you didn't tell us - and your profile doesn't help to answer - is whether you live in an area with a high population density of Alfa owners. In other words, I have no idea whether you are encountering these Alfa enthusiasts who seem to offend you in person, or only here on the BB. My point is that lots of us (probably you included) are nicer and more interesting face-to-face, than on-line.

Once a year, the owners of Italian and French cars have a joint meet here in Southern California. If you think Alfa owners are eccentric, you should hang out with the Peugeot & Citroen guys for awhile.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Agree, the 164 has always been in its own category in the USA. Not so much in Europe, where they have generations of Alfas that we never saw and the 164 was part of a logical progression. Purists want RWD, or Alfa only design and engineering (meaning the platform not shared with the Saab 9000 etc.). Most of these people have never driven a 164, which drive beautifully. I owned two and they are wonderful cars. If it makes you feel any better the transaxle cars (Alfetta/Alfetta GT/GTV6/Milano) were for a long time looked at as poor successors to 105 cars by some people. They can be difficult to work on but looking at the same era of German cars - many cars of that era suffered from unreliable technology.

So here is my response:

• 164 will blow the doors off of many classic alfas
  • Pedigree of designers is top tier
  • A wonderful, world-class engine
  • In working order, a match for any top class sport sedan
  • Rumored that Enzo was driven in one for everyday driving
  • Until recently (and still for some), the transaxle alfas were unappreciated and because of low values and indifferent build quality, many are gone
  • 164 was a logical successor to the 2600 coupe and earlier luxury alfa sedans.
I have two GTV6s and my DD is a Stelvio (with a Fiat engine that is also in a Jeep wrangler, if you don't select the Ferrari inspired TT v6). GTV6 owners have their own hands full finding body and interior parts and after years of being ignored stay to ourselves and our fanatic friends.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
36 Posts
Dady 164

I am an eccentric bloke, mechanic by trade, living in a very remote place, and a proud 164 owner.
My problem, in the Southern hemisphere these vehicles seem to be unknown. The Busso music makes heads turn as you drive slowly up to the gas pump, and on the motorway you get the odd glance as the wedge shape passes by. Problem is the population haven,t a clue what it is. Sad, as it almost makes these cars worth bugger all. Looking at prices for similar in Europe, or the US, can cause a depression to what you would get down under.
So, any 164 owner down under nowdays, would have to be an Alfisti either hiding under the bonnet (hood), or proudly announcing they have come of age. I am now the latter.
My view of this model, a future classic nearing its time of reckoning. Why? Italian motor, the beautiful V6, second to last model to use the Busso. After the Busso came the Alloytec based V6, even shared in my Aussie Holden ute.
The body, to me it is the last of the flat face and wedge shape. 166 onwards to rounded for my liking. The galvanised body should last, then Pininfarina design, and finally the real first large FWD Alfa.
DSCN0718.JPG
DSCN1276 (2).JPG

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
382 Posts
I have a 164 but feel alienated by Alfa culture. Some are weird, some are jerks. They are either rich jerks, or they are weird eccentric engineer types from remote places. All focus seems to be the Spyder/ Graduate thing. 80% of Alfa owners have The Graduate. The GTV6 guys are in their own world, can’t talk to them. The left over 164 guys are all weird. Either have some mechanic that does the work for them, or Phd in Engineering from Alabama that can’t help anyone that isn’t a mechanical engineer….or the 3rd group, they are actually Italian, and they are no help to me either.
I do own a GTV6 but i find that a good part of what you said to be true.
Spiders do rule the AlfaBB and the Facebook alfa groups followed by the giulia.
If you want a classic Alfa and are afraid of not getting parts, get a Spider. Plenty around.
The 164 is the next car on my list, as soon as i convince my wife to drive a classic and the quirkiest (electronics dependent) Alfa romeo.You see, i live in North east new Jersey and snow here is frequent. Except last year.
The gtv6 section here on AlfaBB is pretty quiet actually.
And to say about the people, stay away from the jerks. I actually introduced a gearhead and car aficionado friend of mine to the Alfa world.
In his words....
"I never saw anyone on any car group or brand talk about their cars and the other guys cars with the same passion as the Alfa owners."
He finished with....
It's settled, at some point i am going to get one.
Then i caught him looking at a mint 69 alfa berlina add. So soon we will have another family member.
All this to say.
We are a different breed.
We need to be experts, even if just to identify a mechanic that knows what he's doing.
We are Loud. (busso)
We are extremely proud!
Like in any family, there's always those you don't get along.
;)

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
Welcome aboard the BB Daddy164, we understand your frustration with the occasional odd-bod that you may come across, for the most part I've met some of the most amazing Alfisti that I can truly call friends. Spend some time on the Forum, post pictures of your car - we like pictures. Ask questions, the 164 blokes are super helpfull, Del has posted 15000+ posts on 164 lore, plenty of other equally enthusiastic owners out there, they are great cars

Ciao
Greig

If you think Alfa owners are eccentric, you should hang out with the Peugeot & Citroen guys for awhile.
Ahhh I have a '35 Renault Primaquatre Cabrio as well as sundry other Marques... yeah my wife will tell you i'm eccentric !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts