Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally avoid rock/dirt trucks like the plague. In Mississippi if a truck kicks up a rock and it hits your car it's your fault for following too close. Fair enough. Well my pristine 25 year old windshield just got nailed by a passing rock truck.

My question is has anybody ever had a rock ding in a windshield successfully repaired?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sure have, with great results, but let a pro do it. Here in FL there's no deductible on windshield coverage, so it's a free job, too.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
FWIW, :mad:, I hate those *&%^in' trucks too:). On my DD I got a bullet hole from a cement truck that was rounding a turn IN THE OTHER DIRECTION and successfully sprayed my lane with a bunch of rocks. Had a bullet hole (professionally:rolleyes:) repaired in another vehicle (that eventially failed and had a crack spread) cause the insurance company wouldn't go for a replacement. On the above mentioned DD, I once had a bullet hole that I helped along (with a hammer:eek:) to get a full crack so I could get full replacement.

·
Out of the office!
11,647 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Get the WS "ding" done ASAP. Basically it involves evacuating the crack headspace and filling the evacuated space with a clear acrylic/polycarb material. Costs about $25. I would recommend getting it done at an auto windshield/glass place.

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've had great success with 'scratches'/deep wiper streaks/small divits etc.
caused by sand/rocks/belt buckles and variou sundry alien objects by using
"jeweler's rouge paste". Avaliable at 'fine jewelers everywhere...Ed K

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If you insure your car through Grundy, their new policy has a windsheild replacement. To bad my Nero wasn't insured with them before I got the car or they would be buying me a new windsheild. :(
Check out the cost of replacement glass. Then you will be upgrading your insurance to cover the expense.
The repair is dependent on where the chip is. If it is the drivers line of sight, I heard some shops won't do it. I could be off base on this, but that is what I heard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts