Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went from everything was great to big problem.
Driving in the rain, water pump bearing goes out, so all the fluid came out and sprayed all over the engine in about 40 miles of driving. didn't notice it cuz it was raining. So that made the belt loose and wet so therefore, my alternator wasn't spinning and car was running on battery until it ran out of juice and died. The temp gauge only went up about 3/4's of the way. It never overheated. Got it towed home on a flat bed, took out the battery slow charged it for a few days until the new water pump showed up. Put everything together and now my brake lights are stuck on with the key on and off, when putting the battery post on, it wants to spark hard and sizzle. It will start after alot of cranking and blow fuel odored smoke, like if you had huge carburetors. but seems to want to die after you let off of the key. Only runs wide open and dies off like you shut it down while wide open. That long MMMmmmmmmmmmm sound then dead. It'll do that all day long. I've taken out the brake fuse hoping some kind of short was interfearing with my combi relay or something like that. But that wasn't the case.
So in a nutshell. Waterpump died, sprayed antifreeze everywhere, alternator was slipping, battery died. Brake lights decided to become stuck on and engine decided to not run properly anymore. Help

Oh, brake lights go off when you hit the brake pedal

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, brake lights go off when you hit the brake pedal
i had this exact problem for a while. I think I just played around with the connections on the battery terminals and plugged and unplugged the connectors in the tail lights a few times and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Get yourself a can of contact cleaner . Take apart all the connections on by one and spray them then connect/ remove a few times. You may want to wash the motor first to get rid of any of the coolant .

The coolant must pick up a fair bit of metal from the motor and become conductive . This will cause a lot of problems with the sensors and such.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get yourself a can of contact cleaner . Take apart all the connections on by one and spray them then connect/ remove a few times. You may want to wash the motor first to get rid of any of the coolant .

The coolant must pick up a fair bit of metal from the motor and become conductive . This will cause a lot of problems with the sensors and such.
Thats kinda the route I am thinking. Antifreeze inside of the alternator, Hmmm With all the problems, three spark plugs are extremely dry black sooty now. So i am going to change them out too. I cleaned out the dizzy. Who needs antifreeze smoke inside of there, cant imagine thats good for it. I run magnacore wires so I don't suspect them at all. Dizzy is all brass contacts, not aluminum so thats safe too i think. Time for the power washer.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Given that you just had timing belt off to change water pump I would double check cam timing!
Jes

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep Jes
I took off the belt and what do you know, the sprocket spun back from valve spring pressure. Go figure. So off with the covers, do an alignment, spin the crank and reset the dizzy. But thanks for that tidbit or i would have been in deeper trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts