Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of what appears to by hydraulic fluid on the driver's side floor. Reservoir is low but no leaks are apparent. Could it be leaking into the servo and then into the ****pit?

Herb

·
Registered
820 Posts
of what appears to by hydraulic fluid on the driver's side floor. Reservoir is low but no leaks are apparent. Could it be leaking into the servo and then into the ****pit?

Herb
yes. either the clutch or brake master needs seals. it will be the one that routinely runs out of fluid.

if its the clutch you won't be able to get it first gear one of these days and if its the brake you will crash into your garage door when you come home some night.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. either the clutch or brake master needs seals. it will be the one that routinely runs out of fluid.

if its the clutch you won't be able to get it first gear one of these days and if its the brake you will crash into your garage door when you come home some night.
It is definitely the brake. But is it the master cylinder or the booster.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,524 Posts
If you've got brake fluid coming into the cabin the master cylinder is definitely bad. You can tell for sure by pulling the vacuum hose on the brake booster: if there's fluid in there your MC needs replacement.

If fluid is making it all the way into the cabin I suspect the booster internal seal is bad as well. The diaphragm can fail if it's exposed to brake fluid for too long.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It is definitely the brake. But is it the master cylinder or the booster.
its the cylinder ( as mentioned ). there is no fluid in the booster under normal conditions. you can try a seal kit but a whole cylinder is quicker and easier. does the car stop ok ? ... as in the pedal feel and effort are not excessive ? if that's ok then the booster is probably still ok. ( there are ways to test it here and on google ) but having said that the boosters are a pretty common failure and depending on the year, mileage , budget etc you might want to consider changing it while you are there the new cylinders available seem to be a couple mm bigger in dia which increase pedal effort and if the booster is weak or leaking then the car will seem to not stop as crisply as it should.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The brakes are working fine. No noticeable difference at all. That is what was confusing me. I'm used to rebuilding master cylinders but none of my other little cars have boosters. do you know where I can find a rebuild kit? None of the usual suspects seem to sell one.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The brakes are working fine. No noticeable difference at all. That is what was confusing me. I'm used to rebuilding master cylinders but none of my other little cars have boosters. do you know where I can find a rebuild kit? None of the usual suspects seem to sell one.
I got mine off e bay because neither iap or centerline had them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Better to put a new MC on it. The inside of the old one is probably pitted and the new seals won't hold fluid for too long, once they've run over those pits for a while.

They aren't too expensive. Under a hundred bucks I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts