Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was not paying attention and broke the float tap off of the Weber 40DCOE27 cover.

Can this be repaired or is it a paperweight? Also anyway to get a replacement cover with the same markings?

And the plus side, the Duetto is running much better than before but after the car warms up there is a distinct "wheezing" sound coming from somewhere (engine bay of course and intake side for sure).

I have checked the rubber carb mounts for cracks (none), tightened all connecting mount nuts to same torque, tightened the air filter housing but still a noise is present when car is warm.

Do the mechanical pumps make this noise? Maybe the H20 pump but the PO said is was new?

Additionally I think it might be time for a rebuild as white smoke is seen sometimes but the car has sat for sometime.

Chers,
Chip

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,

Good call. Choke is not even connected but maybe one of the starter devices is stuck open. I will check and update accordingly.

Chip

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
white smoke is brakefluid, check your brakefluid level, it get suck throug 4 cilinder and probably your servo is full of it

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
white smoke is brakefluid, check your brakefluid level, it get suck throug 4 cilinder and probably your servo is full of it
Yea, I initially thought that too. But Chip's initial post contains the quote "the Duetto is running much better", which sort of implies that he is working on a Duetto. Nowhere else does he divulge the model/year Alfa he is working on, but if it is a Duetto, then it doesn't have a booster.

broke the float tap off of the Weber 40DCOE27 cover. Can this be repaired
I don't know the answer, but would guess that a new cover will be the most reliable fix. You might call Pierce Manifolds to see if they have a used cover with the correct markings, or if they can re-stamp numbers into a cover with different markings.

·
Premium Member
Nov. 1968 1750 Spider Veloce
420 Posts
It is repairable.

The machine shop I used did the following:
1. Drill two small holes in the broken tab.
2. Drill and tap mating surface of cover portion.
3. Screwed the broken tab into the cover portion with two very small hex head machine screws and red loctite.

There is very little load on the pin to tab.

8 years and running strong!

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
An easier repair is to have a pro aluminum welder weld up a new leg, re-shape, and re-drill. Original 27 Italian tops are getting hard to find. You are best off repairing yours. A BB member can provide the repair service. Contact Alfar 7 here on the BB, Richard Jemison, or send him an e-mail at [email protected].

·
Premium Member
Nov. 1968 1750 Spider Veloce
420 Posts
Welding new tab in....
I wish I would have known this 8 years ago. :frown2:

It helps to ask. I just took it the machine shop for them to solve.

Thanks Gordon.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, it's a '67 Duetto as that would have helped in the original posting.

Thank you for the help as I was going to contact Richard in order to rebuild some other Webers I found sitting in a pool of water (sigh), now he will have some other work too.

chip

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah the good news of the issue is that I learned what NOT to do next time! :) I was tired and became reckless trying to fix the issue without taking a 'patience pill' or placing myself in 'time out' for the evening.

Chip

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
That error isn't too bad with Spanish DCOE's as that hanger is not split (It does NOT need to be split as the Weber body holds the axle in place) because you can BUY tops for the Spanish version. Most of my restorations are the Italian DCOE's and tops, matching tops, can be a hard find.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Follow Im2504me's advice in post #6.

I've welded a lot of aluminum,enough to know that many die cast alloy;s are not weldable.
You don't want to find it's not weldable without a replacement available.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
12,579 Posts
These weld. I've had many repaired in this way. My BB is Italian Weber restoration.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yup... I repaired a Dellorto top broken like this few weeks ago.

Took me 1 hour and 20 minutes or so from start to finish. Good as new!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts