Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remote mirror motors did not function.
I heard some noise, but the mirrors did not move at all.
As I had to disassembly the mirrors for painting anyway, I tried to fix the motors.

Step A) SEE PICTURES
The front cover (usually painted in the body colour is a pressure fix.
Take a long thin flat screwdriver and push the cover off. (pushing from in-between the housing and the mirror). Make sure to hold the mirror frame, you do not want to brake it off !!

Step B) SEE PICTURES
Once the cover is off you can gently pry-off the mirror.
The actual mirror is attached with 4 plastic snaps.

Step C) SEE PICTURES
I sprayed a fair amount of BLASTER into the mirror mechanism (make sure the stuff does not drip on your paint.
A lot of grime, rust and dirt started dripping out of the mechanism.
I rocked the mirror switch back and forth in all directions.

VOILA suddenly the mirror started working !!!!

Good Luck and thanks to the members who gave me advise on how to take these mirrors apart
Marc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I took my mirror off this weekend and fixed it. When I removed the cover, I noticed a name written in yellow chalk on the inside of the drivers mirror. I just noticed in your picture, that it looks like something was written on the inside of your mirror cover as well...

Has anyone else noticed this?

Ed

·
Registered
295 Posts
the previous owner, or the one previous to him, fixed my mirrors real nice, clear silicone caulk around the mirror so it couldn't wobble because they don't work and are loose in the housings. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Electric Mirror fix on a 1990 Graduate

My remote mirror motors did not function.
I heard some noise, but the mirrors did not move at all.
As I had to disassembly the mirrors for painting anyway, I tried to fix the motors.

Step A) SEE PICTURES
The front cover (usually painted in the body colour is a pressure fix.
Take a long thin flat screwdriver and push the cover off. (pushing from in-between the housing and the mirror). Make sure to hold the mirror frame, you do not want to brake it off !!

Step B) SEE PICTURES
Once the cover is off you can gently pry-off the mirror.
The actual mirror is attached with 4 plastic snaps.

Step C) SEE PICTURES
I sprayed a fair amount of BLASTER into the mirror mechanism (make sure the stuff does not drip on your paint.
A lot of grime, rust and dirt started dripping out of the mechanism.
I rocked the mirror switch back and forth in all directions.

VOILA suddenly the mirror started working !!!!

Good Luck and thanks to the members who gave me advise on how to take these mirrors apart
Marc
I have a mirror in the same condition and want to fix it if possible. Is there any way to get the pictures? They were not accessible on this post.

Thanks,

Spud

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Decided to have another look at my slow and ratchety working power mirrors.
This time I decided to search the BB and found this great thread.
With the info provided I got everything apart and everything was clean.
I still decided to give the whole inner assembly a couple blast of WD40, and voila, after 20 mins invested, they now move effortlessly in all directions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts