Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stupidity knows no bounds
91 164S
Driver's Recaro not moving so in my infinite wisdom, I unhooked all connections under the seat. On the bright side, the seat works beautifully. The downside is that the car won't start.
Mayday! Mayday! Please help

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
More specifics? What does or doesn't happen when you turn the key? Have you checked fuses yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was running well, just came back from a 40-mile ride. I shut it down to fix the power seat wiring. Apparently, I connected a pair of wires under the seat incorrectly. As soon as I got the seat controls working, I decided to go for another ride. I tried to start and had no fuel to rail.
Just replaced fuel pump, pressure regulator, rebuilt the injectors etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG!
I should be able to ID the pair from the relay next to the red stripe relay & ID the pair connecting to the pump and locate my failure (I think)
I am not just an idiot, I am their king!!!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Sorry, I have to inform you that the king of idiots is currently the prime minister of Canada. He certainly could not repair a 164... not even changing a light bulb.

Does there have to be an occupant in the driver's seat for the car to start? I thought all such ignition interlock systems had been abandoned long ago. Automatic transmission selector wiring down there somehow?

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
If it is all original wiring under the seat the wiring has nothing to do with starting engine.

As for engine motronic services F22 15A blue fuse in main fuse panel check for power to it with key on. It is in bottom row second in from left. red-stripe relay and fuel pump relays on top radiator support. You can remove fuel pump relay and check for power pin 30 pink wire socket with key on. Jumper pin 30 to pin 87 pink-white wire socket turn key on pump should run if power at F22 fuse and pin socket 30.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Sorry, I have to inform you that the king of idiots is currently the prime minister of Canada. He certainly could not repair a 164... not even changing a light bulb.

Does there have to be an occupant in the driver's seat for the car to start? I thought all such ignition interlock systems had been abandoned long ago. Automatic transmission selector wiring down there somehow?

Nobody has to be in seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Steve,
You were right as usual. All power checks out. The new fuel pump has crapped out. On the bright side, the seats work correctly.
I am truly sorry about the wild goose chase.

Thanks!
Al.

·
Premium Member
26,901 Posts
Ok Steve,
You were right as usual. All power checks out. The new fuel pump has crapped out. On the bright side, the seats work correctly.
I am truly sorry about the wild goose chase.

Thanks!
Al.
Are you sure? If you had 12v at FP relay socket 30 pink wire with key and you jumpered to pin 87 pink white wire yes pump should run. BUT I would leave jumper in and go to pink-white wire at fuel pump to verify 12v getting to pump connector.

Now verify 12v getting to pump in tank through pink-white wire and out through pump's internal wiring winding back to black ground wire coming from the pump tank cover. If you recently changed the pump you could have broken off the black wire terminal from the underside the tank cover.

Actually I would suggest you do an ohm resistance check of wiring in tank for continuity. I would disconnect wiring connector at tank and check ohm reading between both wires going to tank cover to see if you have resistance or an open indicating broken wire to pump from tank top internal connectors.

Black wire is famous for breaking off bottom side of tank cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually pulled the pump and checked resistance, unfortunately, infinite. Ordered a Bosch pump and round filed the finest p.o.s. pump Mainland China had to offer.

Thanks Steve!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts