Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went yesterday, and picked up the 1984 Spider Veloce in my avatar! 170 mile test drive and it's great! What a fabulous car. It runs great, and it looks good from the outside. :D

A couple of questions...

It needs new seatcovers and dash pad. Where can I find these in blue? That's what is on there now. Goes really well with the ivory paint. I was surprised when I saw it. I didn't know they even came with blue uphostery.

The tach starts at around 3500 rpm (the needle parks there when the car is off). Is there any way I can reset the needle back to 0 so it will read correctly?

I'm sure I'll have more ???'s in the very soon future! :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
Welcome Kenny!

You've found the right place. Some of our more skilled posters may be able to tell you how to tinker with your instruments. If not, Palo Alto Speedometer is a vendor that many Alfa owners use for instrument problems.

I'm not sure about your upholstery issue, but you're right about blue being a good match with the ivory paint.

Enjoy the insanity, Kenny. As with me, you already have prior "experience" by being a LBC owner. I had a Spitfire 1500. Alfa owner ship is similar. Cheers mate,

David

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey.. congrats on the new-to-you car! :) Looks sweet! I concur with David on Palo Alto Speedo -- since I'm in the bay area I just drove there (once I had taken out the entire assembly) -- umm.. yeah, I drove the spider without it installed -- I'm just cool like that. hehe..

anyway, on mine several things had been functioning oddly.. but $200 later it worked like new -- although you can expect that the speedometer will never sit at 0... :( I don't know why, but I guess they figured noone cares to know how fast they're going under 20mph...

ok. welcome! enjoy the site. I didn't find this place until very recently, but it's the best place for alfa owners on the net! :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
The gauges won't sit a "0" beacuse there's a little peg there preventing them from doing so. Now WHY that peg is there, I don't know...

David

·
Registered
612 Posts
needle should seat @ 500 RPM`s when engine is off, if its on 3500 RPM`s and its "loosy" and it doesent show RPM`s that mean that your tach is fried.
now, afer fixing/replacing (you can buy them sometimes on ebay or even here, witch are most likely cheaper than palo alto) and before putting it back into a car, check you electrical wires, starting from ignition coil. That will save you some money, because tachos are not going bad just like that (usually).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My door panels are black, and the whole rest of the interior is/was blue. Is that right? Or should the door panels be blue too?

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey, not to hijack the thread, but you just reminded me... Speaking of door panels... Anyone know where I can get replacements for the little plastic things that hold the door panels on? After taking the doors apart several times for repairing the power windows, several have broke and now the door panels flop around a bit. :-/

Kenny,
I believe that is the normal colors for the door panels, but I've never seen the blue interior.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Door panels should be blue

Hey Kenny,

I have an '84 Veloce with the blue interior. My door panels are blue as well as the seats, dash, console, etc. I imagine that the PO of your car had them replaced at some point. The top of my drivers side has worn quite a bit and I have been trying to find replacements without luck. So far, all the websites I've seen that offer restoratio bits for the interiors of our spiders have neglected to offer the blue. I'm about at the point where I visit a custom upholstery shop again. I already had a shop reupholster the seats. I'll try to post a picture of the seats/door panel later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts