Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come realize that my Tranny is what's generating heat into my car through the tranny hump and I def get warm air flowing into my car since the tranny heat is being sucked inside, because it happens if I open a window only. I know it's the tranny because the air by my legs gets warm only after I start to drive. I've warmed up my car before I start to drive, and i get no heat, but once I'm past a certain distance the tranny warms up and the hot air begins. I'm replacing the fluid this weekend but I was wondering if any additional heatshieding material over the hump will help keep that heat out. Please feel free to give me your thoughts on this.

One more thing, I'm trying to understand how the heater works on my 74 with a 1750 swap. When I push the button on the center console a light comes on the speedo, which clearly spells out HEAT. Though i dont hear nor feel the blower motor come on. Is the blower motor easy to reach?

·
Administrator
17,231 Posts
Although I'm sure the transmission does warm up a bit as you drive I doubt the heat you are feeling is actually from the transmission. More likely is that forward motion (i.e as you drive) is forcing some air into & through the heater via the cowl vent (the grill in front of the windshield).

The blower motor resides in the bottom of the heater box. With the igniton switch 'on' and the heater blower motor switched 'on' you should hear the blower motor running and feel it pushing air out the heater box - depending on the placement of the air control flaps. One position shuts off all air flow, another position directs air to exit at your feet and the third position directs air to defog the windshield. The light on the dash just indicates that you have turned on the switch for th eblower motor - not that it is actually working.

You can try using a pencil to reach in the bottom of the heater in the passenger footwell to turn the fan blades. If you're lucky, maybe the fan is just stuck and poking it will get it to work. (Use the pencil to avoid injuring your fingers...)

Some say you can remove the blower motor without removing the whole heater assembly. I haven't tried to do that. If you put 'heater' in the search function you should be able to find plenty of threads about the heater & the blower motor.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I agree with it being convected air coming in through the cowl scoop and going through the heater box.

AFA putting the window down and feeling a bit of heat, it's either you feeling the hot air coming from under the car produced by the exhaust (if you feel it coming in) or the cabin gets a bit of pressurization with the top up, and rolling down the window allows for some circulation (if you feel the heat going out)

If it were the trans getting hot enough to produce enough heat for you to feel like that, it would have already cooked the trans into uselessness.

The left slidy lever on the climate control doodad is for heated or fresh air: up is heated, down is cold/fresh, middle is mixed. The one on the right is for where it comes from: full down is no flow, (ducts all closed) halfway up is floor, 3/4 up is floor and defrost ducts mixed, full up is defrost vents.

Point of note: If your rubber shifter boots are torn up or missing, you will get a bit of heat convecting in around the tunnel, along with exhaust fumes and possibly the smell of oil. (as in you'll want to check on that before you, oh, die.....)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what it is! I think the rubber boot might be torn. thanks! I did notice that the hump get's hotter on the passenger side.

Thanks on the heater control instructions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts