Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an intermittent starting gremlin where sometimes this 75 alfetta wil crank, and the starter will stay engaged and cranking when the key is back to the run position, sometimes there's nothing, chasing contacts back, at the key there's a green wire that has been taped off and has power at the start circuit

Any ideas?

Wondering if maybe something's in the wrong spot on the starter itself

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**** it, my sterio typical bloke fingers aren't suited for getting in around that starter motor, again..

So what's the blanked off green wire?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Wondering if maybe something's in the wrong spot on the starter itself
Difficult to say with absolute certainty (blurry pix), but everything seems as it should at the starter.
So what's the blanked off green wire?
Green wire supplies power directly to the ignition coil (bypasses balast resistor) on start.
Red provides B+ (battery/alternator) to the switch
Brown provides power to fuses 6 through 8 during run and start.
Black provides power to the solenoid in start position.

**** it, my sterio typical bloke fingers aren't suited for getting in around that starter motor, again..
Have you had the solenoid apart? If so, why and what repair/ maintenance was performed?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
if it was mine, I'd unplug the switch and jump it and see what happens over time. Keep the key to unlock the wheel. My ign switch was going and taking it out of the system told volumes. I eventually bypassed it altogether. The green wire - gr/wh or gr/bl, I dont recall - should feed the coil all the time, not only during start. Why it's hangin loose like that IDK. The spade end looks like it goes into the receptacle plug black thingy tho. ciao chris

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Green/black wire supplies power to the coil through the ballast resistor during 'start' and 'run'.

Green wire energized during 'start' only.
Function is to essentially bypass the balast resistor and provide higher voltage to the coil to facilitate starting.

This is from the NA wiring diagram.

This is a carb application, right?
The Cold Start Solenoid wire wasn't visible in the first picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice feedback guys!

Pulled starter the other night, ran current to it on the bench and it worked fine, assumed a contact or switch issue and re fitted, same problem arose, shorted battery positive directly to the black wire pin on the starter and same problem, eliminating the switch as the issue

So.. After a few light taps on solenoid, off the starter fires but runs on... Back out comes the starter and a closer look again

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nice feedback guys!
Some reciprocation would of been nice. A few questions remained unanswered. But we press on . . . .

Through some searching, you're in Tasmania and the '75 is new to you. Not in too bad of shape at that. Congrats and welcome.
Why is this information important? It gives your questions context.

To point, the question on induction. OK, your Alfetta has carbs. In NA fitted with SPICA MFI, there was reports of starter run on due to a sticking Cold Start Solenoid. Not an issue here.

The other question was as to what if anything have you done to the starter or solenoid. Why was this asked? If the solenoid was disassemble, cleaned, and greased, that could be an issue. The plunger should be cleaned but left dry. The brass sleeve provides adequate lubrication by design. Grease will initial work fine but time and temperature will eventually cause it to congeal and become sticky.

Since the starter seems to operate fine unloaded on the bench, perhaps the problem is with the starter drive. Maybe the mechanism is worn and binding, causing it to be slow into and out of the engaged position. Does the installation have the proper centering bolt? This usually manifests itself as improper gear meshing (grinding) but perhaps it could cause these symptoms as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm doing the same thing today with my '74 GTV. Same problem of starter will not stop cranking. Don't leave the car in gear like I did should you use a hand held manual switch! or what am I missing?

I do know that a low voltage of 9 volts keeps the starter engaged. I wired from the 12 volt battery through my hand switch directly to the Cold Start Solenoid and car starts quickly and starter stops cranking once I release my thumb from the hand switch.

So where does the starter relay fit into the system? I thought I'd wire directly from the relay to the CSS and not use the tap off the starter coil which is giving me the 9 volts for some reason, but I can't get the 12 volts through the relay... so what does it do??? What am I missing?

The power to the CSS must be disconnected immediately after the engine starts, so as to not burn out the solenoid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts