Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yesterday I did something REALLY STUPID. My 1992 Alfa Spider's battery was drained, so I attempted to use a little battery booster/charger to jump it to be able to start the car. However, I did NOT check the battery poles and connected the booster's clamps on backwards - that is, I connected the positive booster clamp to the negative battery pole and the negative booster clamp to the positive battery poll. I noticed some smoke coming off the booster wires, and disconnected them....

My question is - the battery appears to be shot, but did I damage any of the car's electrical system as well? That's my BIG concern....

Any ideas/advice is welcomed, please!!!!
Thanks,
Jim B.

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
It is highly unlikely that you have fried anything. I would expect the battery might survive if the charger was only connected for a few seconds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks to you both for replying, and no, I did not get to the point of turning the key. I looked at the clock's second hand and saw it still wasn't moving, so I went back to the trunk and saw the smoke, and disconnected the booster. I think the battery is shot, so I'm going to get a new battery for it tomorrow and hope that everything will be OK. Yup, definitely a serious BONEHEAD move on my part!!!!....can't believe I did it! I will post back tomorrow with an update....

Thanks, Guys!
Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good News - I installed new battery and car starts and runs fine! (Though my stereo system isn't working, but that's another issue). Took her for a spin up and down PCH today :)

Thanks,
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts