Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent all day Saturday changing the timing belt on my 12v. It all went surprisingly smoothly. Not very Alfa like haha.

Changing over from hydraulic to mech tensioner wasn't even much of a chore.

It was scary how much oil was coming out of the hydraulic tensioner. it was everywhere including all over the belt and pulleys. I have no idea how it survived without jumping.

One odd thing i came across while following the timing belt change procedure from here is I don't have a serpentine belt idler. The belt just goes around the crank, waterpump and aircon compressor, then another belt around the aircon compressor and alternator. then a separate belt around the crank and power steering. Is this normal or has someone modified it?

Its an 1989 3.0 V6 12valve.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...One odd thing i came across while following the timing belt change procedure from here is I don't have a serpentine belt idler. The belt just goes around the crank, waterpump and aircon compressor...
That would be extremely odd. For one thing, how would you get it on since they don't "stretch"?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the aircon compressor and alternator have pivots and I managed the stretch a new belt on ok.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's definitely stock. Must be a non US thing as I had no trouble getting a replacement belt just from giving the licence plate number at the parts store.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
This is a 164 V-6 with v-belts. The Fiat parts eper does shows that indeed there is no serp belt idler pulley. The setup is as you describe. It looks like the belt is tensioned by adjusting the a/c pump.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also the timing belt cover wouldn't fit if there was an idler there. I'll get a pic next Saturday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes both the a/c pump and alternator have pivot points to allow tensioning.

it was interesting taking the belt off the power steering pump because there is one bolt that you cant get to unless you remove the power steering hose union.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a bad habit of not reading signatures! Can you post a pic anyway, or us it all buttoned up?
It is buttoned up but i was planning on taking another look at it this Saturday to make sure its all as it should be still. I'll get a pic then.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
yes both the a/c pump and alternator have pivot points to allow tensioning.

it was interesting taking the belt off the power steering pump because there is one bolt that you cant get to unless you remove the power steering hose union.
We alrerady covered this v-belt set this week this is what it looks like with and without A/C and also showed serpentine belt set up.

Se this post: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5748529-post67.html

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Pics from the owners guide. Not the best but you'll get the idea. Appears to be 3 belts. ciao, jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Yes, the Fiat parts eper shows that configuration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts