Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
My front tyres so far are wearing evenly, it is the rear that wore the inside quickly. Now of course I have no idea how old those tyres were and heck maybe they were the fronts until just before I bought the car??

Anyway running them 2 psi lower and going on 3 hour trips would not have helped, fully laden.

Will keep you informed :)
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
There is a series of numbers on the sidewall of the tyre that tells you exactly how old it is. You can look up how to read it on the web Pete.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
There is a series of numbers on the sidewall of the tyre that tells you exactly how old it is. You can look up how to read it on the web Pete.
Too late now as those tyres were left at the tyre replacement place.

Anyway had a lovely family outing to McLaren falls and managed a nice walk in the sun. Strangely and annoyingly I stalled her a couple of times ... I must be getting old ;)
Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Interestingly post oil change she starts up with out any camshaft follower noise. Also I'm using her more often :) :).
Pete

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, the cam follower noise is worst when the engine haven't been used for a while. Or when the oil type is too thick.
What kind of oil do you use? Alfa recommended 10W-40 and later 10W-60. As earlier written I've no experiences with the Bosso V6s. But a number (not all) 4 cyl. TS engines had a oil consumption problem hence the 10W-60 recommention.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
My 3.2 requires little to no topping up between services ad I get no cam follower noise. When I first got it we ran a cleaner through it for a while. It has done just over 150,000 km.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Yes, the cam follower noise is worst when the engine haven't been used for a while. Or when the oil type is too thick.
What kind of oil do you use? Alfa recommended 10W-40 and later 10W-60. As earlier written I've no experiences with the Bosso V6s. But a number (not all) 4 cyl. TS engines had a oil consumption problem hence the 10W-60 recommention.
10W-40.

oz3litre, I do not think my engine burns oil, more than any European engine, but I do have to top up because of the minor leaks. But I am talking bugger all so no a concern.

Re cam follower noise, note I parked the car while I saved up to fix the tyres, etc. so it had seen no use for a month or so. Now that I am back to using it ~once a week there is no cam follower noise. So all is good :)

Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Okay question time :)

My alarm light, when the car is locked, is flashing faster than it used to. According to the manual that means that an attempt to break in has occurred. Most likely this was me checking the car was locked as we left it outside over Saturday night.

How do you reset this so that it will return to its usual very slow "blink" please?

Unlocking the car and locking again does not do it, starting the car also does not do it ... I wonder if the offending door/boot has to be opened and closed again???
Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Drove her pretty much all day today up to Auckland and back, for positive reasons as my wife is hopping over to Sydney for a week, and all over Tauranga as I ran my kids to their necessary places.

Never missed a beat, of course ... maybe close to 600kms :eek:

And so quiet :)
Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Ran over a large rock yesterday, did not see it at all, but both my son and I got a huge fright by the enormous bang. I had just gunned her up to 100kph. I stopped, inspected the underneath and turned around and went back and located the rock and got my son to throw it as far as he could into a ditch off the road.

It appears that the undertray took the hit near the left rear mount and bent my previous repair and took a little bit more of the undertray off ... err!, but thankfully I can see no other damage.

I guess an alloy undertray might be needed in the future, but post the fright consider myself lucky :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You were lucky you hit the stone with the corner of your car and not strait on. That could easily have made a hole in the sump.
My wife once drove our 156 to work (her Fiat Punto was being serviced) and hit a stray stone (10x10 cm). The aluminium tray became slightly bend. But the sump got a crack, luckily only a little oil ran out. She got the company chauffeur to check the oil level before driving home.
PS! the 156 was lowered 40 mm by first owner. That's too much there were roads that I had to avoid.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Yes the sump was my first concern. I do not believe it was involved ... will double check the oil level this morning as it is currently being used as the daily as the Honda Odyssey is in the finishing stages of having it's rear crankshaft seal replaced (as I could not stand the oil leaking any longer).
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I can highly recommend the aluminium trays from Alfastumper in Denmark. I have one on my GT. They give you more ground clearance as well as durability.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Okay I now think it was the gearbox side, but anyway as soon as the Odyssey is out of the workshop the Alfa will go in and up on stands so I can remove the undertray and inspect for damage properly.

Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Okay the Honda is done. New rear main crankshaft seal and both top outer ball joints ... great to do something before I fail a warranty of fitness :D

Will have a look at the 156 this weekend.
Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
I've had a cold, but finally today got around to remove the undertray and confirming any damage. Extremely luckily I can report that the passenger side suspension sub frame took the hit and has been dented, but no need to replace. If the engine ever gets refreshed I'll restore the sub frame then but I believe there has been no alteration to wheel alignment specs. The plastic undertray has lost a little bit more, sigh, and must have flexed up considerably as the rock slide through.

Thankfully the gearbox and engine were not hit, but if I had been a mere 50mm's further left the gearbox would have taken the hit instead of the sub frame ... phew!!!

So I've repaired the undertray, again, this time with a small alloy tube, on the inside (top) riveted to the plastic, right across to hold it up properly and parallel with the ground. No more wet nappy look :).

So all buttoned up again ... and gee I was lucky :)
Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Here's what I did, and an installed photo showing how it is nice and parallel with the ground now. Probably the last fix I can make with the original plastic undertray. If it gets hit badly again I'll have to purchase the alloy one ...

The metal straps were the first fix I made, which worked but the undertray did hang down a little in the middle, now it doesn't. As you can see the rear corners are completely missing, with another chunk ripped of by the rock :(
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I can highly recommend the aluminium trays from Alfastumper in Denmark. I have one on my GT. They give you more ground clearance as well as durability.
I'm afraid that Alfastumper doesn't have the alu trays any more.

It a long time since your last entry. Is it still going fine with your 156 V6?
I hope all is well with your son and the rest of your family.

I have had some difficulties finding a middle part for my exhaust. None of the usual suspects carry it. I found one nearly new on German e-bay. As we are going on a round trip to Germany we visit the guy (an Italian guy in Germany near Stuttgard were we are going anyway).
My experience with the Fiat Bravo is that the exhaust was finished after 6 years. My Guilietta is now 6+ years old. The rear silencer I bought from a fellow Alfisti and member of the Alfa Club, who had bought a twin rear part of exhaust. They are very popular right now.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I'm afraid that Alfastumper doesn't have the alu trays any more.
That is a pity. My repaired one will just have to do. I think it would be relatively easy to fix the missing parts with fibreglass but low on my priority list.
It a long time since your last entry. Is it still going fine with your 156 V6?
Just clocking up the miles. Recently flew straight through a road worthlyness check, but thankfully I checked the lights before we went and the right rear brake light was not working ... 5 minutes later and a wiggle of the bulb and it was ... hmmm.
I hope all is well with your son and the rest of your family.
Up's and down's but mostly he is doing okay. Life is very structured for him and the repeated questions making sure it remains that way gets tiring but this is my families life now and we make the most of it :).

I have recently bought some very cheap small paint brushes and I'm going to paint some Rustroy on my GTV as it is becoming obvious that I will not be recommencing its restoration any time soon ... so it is important that it does not go backwards while it (im)patiently waits.
I have had some difficulties finding a middle part for my exhaust. None of the usual suspects carry it. I found one nearly new on German e-bay. As we are going on a round trip to Germany we visit the guy (an Italian guy in Germany near Stuttgard were we are going anyway).
My experience with the Fiat Bravo is that the exhaust was finished after 6 years. My Guilietta is now 6+ years old. The rear silencer I bought from a fellow Alfisti and member of the Alfa Club, who had bought a twin rear part of exhaust. They are very popular right now.
My exhaust looks really good thankfully. The only issue there is a minor oil leak (cigarette seals?) that drips on the front part rarely. I've ignored it for now, but it is working it's way up my priority list largely because it's oil is not cheap :surprise:

I hope your Alfa and family are happy too :)
Pete

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
So finally I have a new job, started it this week, and pay is much better but the good and bad is I have to drive to Rotorua from Papamoa/Tauranga every day. This is a ~70km trip so the 156v6 is doing ~140km's per day.

So his weekend the wheels will be rotated and I will be doing that at least twice as many times as she gets serviced. Unfortunately there is no covered company carpark so I will have to get some windscreen shades to protect the leather but otherwise she will be racking up the km's. She is already up to 144,000 km's (bought at 113,000) with a brand new cambelt at 103,000 ... so probably early next year she will need a replacement cambelt.

While it is great to drive such an awesome car on a great road (passing performance is wonderful) I'm not exactly over the moon about running up the km's so fast, BUT then I do believe in using Alfas and will **** well be doing that!. If it breaks, or wears out, I'll just bloody well fix it!

I think I will set aside Saturday morning, or Friday evening, for 156v6 wash time :)
Pete

141 - 160 of 297 Posts