Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Pete, from an engineering perspective it would seem unlikely that a bearing is a one way placement within a housing - if it is pressed in it can be got out again but there appears to be quite a few 156`s being dismantled and although you would have to do your research regarding whether there is any difference between the V6 and the 2 litre TS parts a second hand item may well be a cheap easy solution enabling you to stretch those dollars.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Pete, from an engineering perspective it would seem unlikely that a bearing is a one way placement within a housing - if it is pressed in it can be got out again but there appears to be quite a few 156`s being dismantled and although you would have to do your research regarding whether there is any difference between the V6 and the 2 litre TS parts a second hand item may well be a cheap easy solution enabling you to stretch those dollars.
Good idea, and at least then I'll have a spare one that I can experiment with :)
Pete

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Okay I no longer think it is a rear wheel bearing that I am hearing. I jacked up each wheel and spun the wheel with my fingers on the spring or bottom of the strut and as smooth as silk, both sides.

So what is the best way to check the front wheel bearings please?
Pete

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Best is what you probably have already done - jack up the wheel, spin it first to check smoothness and noise then grab wheel at 12 and six o clock positions and see if there is any movement.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You can hoist the front of the car so the wheels are of the ground and spin them by starting the engine select a gear (4th or 5 th) and spin them. Turn of the engine and select neutral and listen.
There are several bearing on the drive shafts. It can also be a bearing in the gearbox.
See here FIAT ePER

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Best is what you probably have already done - jack up the wheel, spin it first to check smoothness and noise then grab wheel at 12 and six o clock positions and see if there is any movement.
Yeah there is no movement.

Starting to think that it might be gearbox, but we will calmly work our way to the cause. My father and I are both sure there is a bearing that is not happy somewhere although we were fairly sure it was a the left rear ... was just about to order the wheel bearings when I thought I better check. And no cannot feel anything at all.

Will do the test that Erik suggests after I return from another trip to Auckland. Will be due for an engine service then.
Pete

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Noise carries unfortunately and can be difficult by just listening to identify where it is actually coming from, although in theory with a front wheel drive car it should be easier. Thats why the lift the wheels off the ground method and check for smoothness and excess movement ultimately is best. There is a support bearing for the rh driveshaft which could be the culprit as it is exposed more than the other bearings in the drive chain and instinct suggests this as maybe the culprit. Regarding gearbox bearing noise best thing to do is change the oil first. Acquire some Amsoil gear oil (available here in New Zealand) and fill the transaxle. I have tried everything else except Redline (not available in NZ) and NOTHING works as well. When I had my workshop it fixed cars I would not have thought possible - local car dealers loved it. It quietened a slight bearing noise in our own Lancia Flavia transaxle, and a very very noisy and almost no second gear synchromesh gearbox in our GT Junior. The Junior gearbox was exceptionally bad and the Amsoil synthetic was put in as an experiment with low expectations so it is worth a try.
I routinely put it in all our cars (12) and without exception the gearboxes are quieter, the synchromesh (if fitted) works perfectly and of course you have superior protection.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Noise carries unfortunately and can be difficult by just listening to identify where it is actually coming from, although in theory with a front wheel drive car it should be easier. Thats why the lift the wheels off the ground method and check for smoothness and excess movement ultimately is best. There is a support bearing for the rh driveshaft which could be the culprit as it is exposed more than the other bearings in the drive chain and instinct suggests this as maybe the culprit. Regarding gearbox bearing noise best thing to do is change the oil first. Acquire some Amsoil gear oil (available here in New Zealand) and fill the transaxle. I have tried everything else except Redline (not available in NZ) and NOTHING works as well. When I had my workshop it fixed cars I would not have thought possible - local car dealers loved it. It quietened a slight bearing noise in our own Lancia Flavia transaxle, and a very very noisy and almost no second gear synchromesh gearbox in our GT Junior. The Junior gearbox was exceptionally bad and the Amsoil synthetic was put in as an experiment with low expectations so it is worth a try.
I routinely put it in all our cars (12) and without exception the gearboxes are quieter, the synchromesh (if fitted) works perfectly and of course you have superior protection.
Brings back memories. We used amsoil in our transaxle gearboxes for years. Not only improved them but made the synchro actually last.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It may not be a wheel bearing, the noise could well be coming from a drive shaft inner cv joint, they make a similar noise to a bad bearing when they start to go, this usually starts to happen if the cv boot tears and isn't replaced straight away, I recently experienced inner cv driveshaft and front bearing issues on my 3.2 GT, I thought the left bearing was gone but my mechanic showed me a trick how to pick which one it is, get the wheels of the ground and while spinning the wheel put an ear on the guard on top of the wheel, it turned out to be the RHS bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie jumping in on the thread here, as a first-time Alfa owner... Sold my 86 Porsche 944 and picked up a '98 156 V6 for not a lot of $$, and have loved driving it between Te Awamutu and Tauranga. That engine!!! It must be one of the sweetest sounding engines ever!

The bad news is that it failed the WOF due to shagged lower ball joints which of course meant coughing up for two new lower wishbones. However, at basically a 1/4 of the price of Porsche ones, it wasn't too much of a shock relatively speaking. Whoever designed the suspension setup needs a good kick up the heinie though, it's so **** difficult to get the wishbones out! But, I persevered and they are all back in now (almost).

It's intended to be a "weekend car", but given that it's way more fun than the Mondeo will ever be, it might end up being used somewhat more regularly...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Welcome to the BB and Busso V6 ownership Mike. It is nice to hear a comment about the engine from someone who has not experienced one before. They are indeed one of the sweetest sounding engines ever. As you are discovering, Alfas are very addictive and the Busso V6 makes them even more so. Keep us posted on your adventures with your 156.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Big time Busso addict here. Currently, I have four cars with Busso engines, plus one spare engine. Three 3.0 24V and one 2.0 TB (turbo benzina). I bounce them off the rev limiter any time I get a chance. A diagnostic program on my laptop showed the history on my 2001 Spider, it has bounced off the redline 83 times.

Once I had what seemed to be a wheel bearing problem. It was a tire/tyre problem. Odd that a tire going bad could be so convincing that it was a bearing.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Once I had what seemed to be a wheel bearing problem. It was a tire/tyre problem. Odd that a tire going bad could be so convincing that it was a bearing.
Now that is very interesting!!!!

I'll have to jack her up and listen, and if all seems well I will get the spare wheel out and do some testing. Unfortunately I have more pressing projects to finish first ...
Pete

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The 156s have a tendency to wear "heel and toe" on the rear tyres. Especially wide with rectangular tread pattern.
Therefore change front and rear wheels every 5-7000 km.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
"Odd that a tire going bad could be so convincing that it was a bearing"

We had that happen with our new at the time Milano. took it on e trip frem Seattle to Texas and back not long after we bought it new. On the way back the front end sounded just like front wheel bearings going out, so loud that we actually had those bearings changed on warranty at the Barber's Alfa Shop in Sacramento in hopes it would cut the noise. No change, turned out it was the tires Alfa had mounted on that new car making all the noise, evidently due to the interaction of the tread pattern and the Alfa front alignment. Once the tires were tossed and the alignment checked, the noise went away for good. Don't remember what brand they were, Conti's I think.

Of course, many of the 89 Milanos had parts which were evidently whatever was left on the shelf when they were made, lol. Our car had the Gold body, Silver interior, Verde rear spoiler, and European grill.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Well today I jacked the front up and put her on jack stands and ran her in gear. Unfortunately I'm not happy with the noises coming from the gearbox :surprise: and I'm not able to detect noise from anything else.

Now I'm not very good at diagnoses so after talking to my A grade mechanic father I will be driving her up to Hamilton and let him listen again. To me the noise is getting worse (I had to use the 156 to go to work and back last week so the rest of the family could use the Honda as my step-son was visiting) and sounds very bad. I will move the tyres rear to front and front rear before the drive to Hamilton ... but I'm a little worried.
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Can you get another gearbox from a wreck? I feel your pain. When I first bought my GT, I thought the gearbox was a bit noisy and when my mechanic went to fit the Quaiffe LSD we found out why. The first owner must have broken the diff and some monkey slapped in a second hand one without cleaning out all the crap properly, resulting in the bearings all being shot. I ended up with the gearbox having all new bearings as well as the LSD. It took some time to source all the bearings. Some had to come from Italy because the bearing suppliers here didn't have them. One thing to check is that the driveshaft flanges are tight on the gearbox and the shafts don't move in and out. The flange bolts can work loose. That happened to mine and it was only noticed when my mechanic re-filled the gearbox and it started leaking after I got it home. That causes a bit of noise with the driveshaft being loose.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Interesting ... next step is to drain and inspect the gearbox oil, unless Dad says I'm very wrong. If there are metal filings I will be looking for a second hand gearbox as I assume all the gears will be damaged.

IMO an Alfa Romeo should not be that noisy (other than exhaust noise ;)) so something is wrong and so far the only thing I've found that is making noise is the gearbox.
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
" I will be driving her up to Hamilton and let him listen again"

Is that the independent Fiat/Alfa repair place along side the river? (or is it Cambridge, Matos Segedin Drive?). If so, been there, met the fellow running it and Alex who has worked there some times.

Ok, looked it up on Google Earth. I remember now, yes, in Cambridge. Had a good time with Alex as he showed us around, including the great Hamilton Gardens. Got to drive his blue 2000 Alfa convertible from the Cambridge Fiat/Alfa repair shop to his house. That was great fun.

Had a very good dinner with Alex and his friend at the Bank Bar Restaurant in Hamilton.

Some day we will return to NZ. Great country.

81 - 100 of 297 Posts