Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just changed the oil filter and oil ... getting the filter out is a pain but I'm used to it now :)

My under engine cover has broken it's centre support (wire), and the other 2 rear supports had already been broken, so it was hanging down like a wet nappy ... so I'll need to fix this somehow. I'm going to repair the 2 rear supports with sheet metal straps riveted over a wide distance to the plastic cover, and welding wire will have to replace the centre support.

I do not have a proper workshop/bench or welding gas at the moment so this will have to do ... :surprise:
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Just changed the oil filter and oil ... getting the filter out is a pain but I'm used to it now :)

My under engine cover has broken it's centre support (wire), and the other 2 rear supports had already been broken, so it was hanging down like a wet nappy ... so I'll need to fix this somehow. I'm going to repair the 2 rear supports with sheet metal straps riveted over a wide distance to the plastic cover, and welding wire will have to replace the centre support.

I do not have a proper workshop/bench or welding gas at the moment so this will have to do ... :surprise:
Pete
My GT didn't have one when I bought it, so I got one of the aluminium ones from Alfastumper in Denmark. It was half the price of an Alfa plastic one, is much stronger and gives more ground clearance. It actually protects the sump too. I should make the effort to change the oil on the GT and 159 myself I guess but having to lie on my back and battle with the undertrays puts me off, so I get my mechanic to do it. I wish I had the money and ceiling height to put a hoist in the garage.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
My GT didn't have one when I bought it, so I got one of the aluminium ones from Alfastumper in Denmark. It was half the price of an Alfa plastic one, is much stronger and gives more ground clearance. It actually protects the sump too. I should make the effort to change the oil on the GT and 159 myself I guess but having to lie on my back and battle with the undertrays puts me off, so I get my mechanic to do it. I wish I had the money and ceiling height to put a hoist in the garage.
Spending money on Alfas is not the priority at the moment so fixing the plastic one will be the go.

Thanks for reminding me that they are called "undertrays" ... brain was blank on that one :surprise:

Changing the filter is a bit of a pain and I imaging most shops would charge a lot of money to do so. In fact I reckon non-Alfa shops would get in a mess trying. I had to look up on the internet to work out how to get the filter out and learnt that you have to undo the power steering hose bracket. Today I undid both hose brackets to make it easier ... not great design here.

One day I will go to a wrecker and try to get a replacement undertray, an ashtray and an engine wiring loom plug.
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
you have to undo the power steering hose bracket. Today I undid both hose brackets to make it easier ... not great design here.
Pete
I don't think my mechanic does that, but I will watch him next time. Even the good old 75 V6 is tricky, but you can do it from above. The biggest problem is getting a tool that allows enough movement. My brother made me one that fits over the end of the filter with a nut welded onto it, but it doesn't grip tight enough if the filter is tight. K&N make filters to fit the Alfa V6, TS etc that have a nut on the end so I think I will get one of those next time.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The alu undertrays are a good investment. When I got my then 3½ year old 156 2,0 TS it had a one year old plastic tray which was already broken several places (previous owner had lower the car about 40 mm).
I bought a tray from Alfastumper.dk and it hold up to selling the TS 9 years later.
The alu tray protect against water and other dirt from the road. But not the sump against big stones - drove over a stray cobble the day after the having the tray fitted. Sump broke tray just bent a little.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The alu tray protect against water and other dirt from the road. But not the sump against big stones - drove over a stray cobble the day after the having the tray fitted. Sump broke tray just bent a little.
It would have to be better than the flimsy plastic ones though.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I don't think my mechanic does that, but I will watch him next time. Even the good old 75 V6 is tricky, but you can do it from above. The biggest problem is getting a tool that allows enough movement. My brother made me one that fits over the end of the filter with a nut welded onto it, but it doesn't grip tight enough if the filter is tight. K&N make filters to fit the Alfa V6, TS etc that have a nut on the end so I think I will get one of those next time.
Undoing the filter is not the problem as my hand does just fit up in the gap, but getting it out once undone is impossible without removing the power steering hose bracket so you can push the hoses to the side. Even then it only just wiggles through.

I first tried to get it out through the right side wheel arch ... nope will not fit.

Today I was worried for a minute that the filter would not undo, as there is no chance of getting a filter undoing tool/clamp up in that tight space, but thankfully after concentrating and trying very F'ing hard my left hand managed to get it to move ... phew!
Pete

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It would have to be better than the flimsy plastic ones though.
Marginally ... both will just bend.

I assume there is aero benefit?? otherwise not sure why they bothered but I'll keep mine to keep the engine clean.
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Marginally ... both will just bend.

I assume there is aero benefit?? otherwise not sure why they bothered but I'll keep mine to keep the engine clean.
Pete
They are reasonably thick and stiff as evidenced by the fact that Erik's only bent a little after running over a large stone. The plastic ones get ripped off completely or torn. I went into it before I bought the undertray because, like you I wondered if they were necessary and the consensus is that they are. They help aerodynamics, keep the engine clean, keep noise down and I think there is an effect on cooling as well. I figured the factory wouldn't go to the expense of fitting them if there was no benefit.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Undertray fixed :)

Service (@ 127,000 kms) completed.
Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just bought a 156 v6 manual - here in Australia these cars (156's) are getting cheaper, beer money for autos or selespeeds.

I really shouldn't have bought the car since it was due a cam belt which meant that the investment in the car doubled at the first service. However, it's great, the engine sings and steering responds almost as well as my daughters Mini Cooper (2007).

Next job is to uninstall the "sports" suspension. This has been on the car since new. I am guessing the front springs have sagged with age as no premium car buyer would have tolerated it back in 2002.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Next job is to uninstall the "sports" suspension. This has been on the car since new. I am guessing the front springs have sagged with age as no premium car buyer would have tolerated it back in 2002.
What is wrong?, too low?, harsh?
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
It might have the Monza suspension with the Eibach 20mm lowered & progressive springs which is a bonus. They handle better and give the car a better stance and appearance. I'd be surprised if they were sagged. The shocks might have lost pressure though. You can match those springs with Bilstein shocks. We did that with my daughter's standard suspension 156 and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to various forums, the relevant front hub centre to wheel arch diameters are as follows:
Std car 37 cm
Eibach pro 34 cm
My car 31 cm.
So, the wheels foul the body work and the suspension bottoms on every trip. The is an invoice for a sump replacement in the documents that came with the car. I don't need that again.
I would be nice to fit a properly engineered low suspension kit such Eibach along with matched struts, but that starts to get expensive. Budget solution is to refit standard springs, at least I am mobile again and safe on speed bumps.
The car, with its sports suspension was sold (as a demonstrator) by Ric Damelian Pty Ltd in NSW - I have the delivery documentation. I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows what they were selling as sports suspension back in 2002. There are no markings on the springs and the struts appear to be stock.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
That doesn't sound like a factory set up to me. 6cm is a big drop. No wonder the sump got damaged. It almost sounds like somebody has cut a coil out or it originally had the Eibachs and someone replaced them with extra low aftermarket springs. I bought the Eibach springs and struts from an Alfa wrecker for $100. We were going to use the struts but decided they were a bit long in the tooth and bought new Bilstein B8s which are designed for the lower springs.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Somebodies slammed it ... :surprise:

I don't get the whole lowering BS myself. Good luck with the fix :)
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
"getting it out once undone is impossible without removing the power steering hose bracket so you can push the hoses to the side. Even then it only just wiggles through"

With our stock 89 Milano/75 (granted, not a 156), I can remove the filter up through the rhs without messing with any hoses. I do use the smaller 24V 164 filter to give more room. I also have to loosen it from below with a metal strap wrench before accessing it from above. I do have to remember to tilt it upright as I pull it up to avoid pouring oil out of it.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Removing the air filter box helps a lot and is worth the small amount of extra time.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Removing the air filter box helps a lot and is worth the small amount of extra time.
Are you talking about a 156?

The air filter box is at the opposite end of the engine with a 156v6 and I cannot see how removing it would help at all with removing the oil filter which surely HAS to be removed out the bottom??
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Are you talking about a 156?
Pete
Sorry, no. I was replying to Del about removing the oil filter in a 75 V6.

41 - 60 of 297 Posts