Alfa Romeo Forums banner

421 - 431 of 431 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
2.5 gtv6, probably lighter but way older fuel management, 8.5 from this post.

Same trip but 9.0 in this post...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh yeah my alfetta GTV6 was amazing on fuel. I think I used to get over 700k on a highway cycle.
However no where near the performance.

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Nearly 700kms ... 8. something L/100

Pete

Reactions: alfettaparts2

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
She's just had a thorough clean. Under the wheel arches and underside to get rid of road works dirt, then interior vacuumed and dusted and then a massive wash.

I'm not the best at this part of car ownership, but she is clean. Time to put the engine undertray back on, as no leaks :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Oh yeah my alfetta GTV6 was amazing on fuel. I think I used to get over 700k on a highway cycle.
However no where near the performance.
Modern direct injection engines are amazing in how they can be both economical and powerful. My 2020 911 has 440hp, 530Nm 2300-5000rpm. It’s manual so is a bit slower 0-100 than a PDK at 4.2 seconds. But I regularly see 8.5-9 l/100km on the freeway at 70-75mph. Overage over 2500 miles is 13 l/100km even with frequent spirited drives.

I’ve always thought the key to good balance between mileage and performance is gearing that lets you keep the engine close to max torque. Certainly that was true with the GTV6 and 105 GTV’s, max torque in a 105 was around the same revs you’d be doing at 60-70mph.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Modern direct injection engines are amazing in how they can be both economical and powerful. My 2020 911 has 440hp, 530Nm 2300-5000rpm. It’s manual so is a bit slower 0-100 than a PDK at 4.2 seconds. But I regularly see 8.5-9 l/100km on the freeway at 70-75mph. Overage over 2500 miles is 13 l/100km even with frequent spirited drives.

I’ve always thought the key to good balance between mileage and performance is gearing that lets you keep the engine close to max torque. Certainly that was true with the GTV6 and 105 GTV’s, max torque in a 105 was around the same revs you’d be doing at 60-70mph.
I agree. I love my old carb Alfa’s but to not look into the future and see what’s possible is crazy. Like still using windows 3.1. Drove to the beach again on Friday and am still impressed with the 15 year old 3.2. Coming up over the otways behaving with a passenger and loaded with weekend beach crap the engine doesn’t need to go past 3000rpm.

Managed to see the McLaren documentary Friday night and thought it was pretty good. I wonder if you guys are old enough to remember the funeral procession in NZ.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I agree. I love my old carb Alfa’s but to not look into the future and see what’s possible is crazy. Like still using windows 3.1. Drove to the beach again on Friday and am still impressed with the 15 year old 3.2. Coming up over the otways behaving with a passenger and loaded with weekend beach crap the engine doesn’t need to go past 3000rpm.

Managed to see the McLaren documentary Friday night and thought it was pretty good. I wonder if you guys are old enough to remember the funeral procession in NZ.
Nice place to take an Alfa, the Otways that is. Had several great drives down there, including a late night dash along the Ocean Rd in Bruce Rogers’ Duetto. He really needs to get that back on the road again.

I don't recall a funeral procession for Bruce McLaren but his family’s service station was well known, the business is long gone but the building is still there.

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Visited his grave not long ago as my Mum, Sister and Nana are all together (not with Bruce) in the same cemetery

Pete

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #430

Waikumete Cemetery
4128 Great North Road, Glen Eden, Auckland 0602
Pete

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Waikumete Cemetery
4128 Great North Road, Glen Eden, Auckland 0602
Pete
Thanks, will visit and pay respects next trip. Just cancelled all our bookings for Christmas :(

421 - 431 of 431 Posts