Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Get off you phone! ;)

Pete

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have no doubt I could exceed this cars limits on the track but on a public road at 80% it’s fast. At 90% it’s getting scary. At 100% I’ll be up a tree.

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
There was a 147 Challenge at Taupo racetrack the last time I was there (with the 156v6 and yes we did a few follow the pace car laps), and it blew every other Alfa Romeo race car away by a huge margin. It was more than just power, which it obviously had plenty of, it was just a very effective car.

It was so much quicker than anything Alfa else that it would be boring to own/drive
Pete

·
Registered
662 Posts
Would make a great Targa rally car. You can also slot it in 6th and climb hills at 100kph at 2000 rpm with ice cold air conditioning.

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
Alternator repaired

Pete

·
Registered
662 Posts
Drove back this morning in a storm front. Pushed a little in the wet and felt secure as a mountain goat. 420K return trip. Car didn't miss a beat however I just realized its over due for service on time and mileage. Already owned the GTA for over a year now. Where does the time go.
I guess ill try and get it on the hoist over the weekend. Also going to change the gearbox oil. Going fishing again next week so I better get onto it.

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Yes when we had multiple cars, I would choose the 156 when it was wet. Very secure feeling and I like the variable wiper ease of setting.

Pete

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Castrol Magnatec 10w40

Pete

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oh yeah I think I have asked before.
Everywhere is recommending a full synth 10 60 (even for the 2.5). It has 10 40 in it and doesn't use a drop of oil. I'm thinking the 10 60 would be good if I drove the car hard however most of the time I'm putting around in traffic so I might stick with the 10 40.

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Water hose to water oil exchanger replaced, and insulated. Hose clips used instead of leaky genuine ones.

Even though there is a heat shield I wrapped the closest primary exhaust pipe.

Repaired alternator installed and then the sub frame. An unpleasant job, so I've stopped for the day

Pete

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Managed to sell the new battery we bought in Blenheim for 2/3rds of what it cost 👍

Might continue putting her back together after tea tonight
Pete

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #413 (Edited)
Exhaust tunnel reinforcement panel (not sure what it is called) and exhaust all installed. Nearly there

Pete

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Running again, and yes alternator light went out immediately. My only concern is the electric engine cooling fans are not working.

I did replace a water hose so could I have an air lock in the coolant system. Is there a bled nipple somewhere?

Or have a bumped a wire somewhere? I'll have to work out where the fan sensor is ... ?

Pete

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pete a couple of things just from the top of my head.
No bleed screw that I know. Running with the cap off for a while should clear out any air but they don't get air locks like some other engines.
You could pull the small hose that feeds back into the coolant tank, give the engine a bit of a rev and make sure the water is circulating. If its not circulating you may have a failed plastic water pump impeller. I can't remember 100% but I think when this happens the fans wont come on because the switch never gets to temperature.
You may have upset the fan resistor that's mounted on the radiator between the fans.
The temp switch is on the thermostat housing (I think) but its the ECU that controls the fans.
Diagnostic tool has a function to test the fan speed both high and low.

I'm thinking that taking the drive belt off and on has upset that impeller. See how you go with the water flow test.

water pump.jpg

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #416 (Edited)
Solved, fans now working. There is a dodgy blue wiring connector near the thermostat housing that needs replacing that was not making contact. I guess with all the movement to remove and refit the alternator, and the repetitive undoing of the inlet hose to change batteries, this was knocked.

Now my focus turns to the tuning issues
Pete

Reactions: alfettaparts2

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm about to go out to the workshop and service my ****box. I'm sitting on over 200 bucks worth of oil and I'm heading to the beach again on the weekend. I prey to Buda Allah Jesus and the Easter bunny I don't find a torn CV boot.

·
Push hard and live
10,443 Posts
“Prey”. I like that. May borrow for future rousing of those infected with excess religiosity.

·
Registered
662 Posts
So I just filled up from my fishing trip. Managed 500K's out of 58 Liters. So 11.6lt per 100K's on 98.
Not to bad considering the mountain pass to the coast.
Pathetically small fuel tank.

What do you get out of the 2.5 Pete?

401 - 420 of 431 Posts