Alfa Romeo Forums banner

381 - 386 of 386 Posts

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
New spark plugs. I won't be the first to put my hand up to do that job again. I made it harder because I dropped my allen key spanner down the back of the engine by the bulkhead. Took me ~1.5 hours to find it again ... sigh

Pete

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
New plugs have solved the miss-hesitation that she had developed, so 👍

Pete

Reactions: Aggie57

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,878 Posts
Always great to have a success if the job itself is a bit of a mission as it is on any "modern". Bit different to changing plugs on my old GTV6 or my old 90. Even easier on a 105 or 101. I`d still rather work on a 156 than a 159 though.

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Yes, the first time I've found myself getting upset with the car, but if I had not dropped the allen key wrench it would have just been a longish job.

Many will say who cares about the wrench, but I was concerned it may eventually cause a breakdown, I.e. get jammed between a CV joint and the engine/gearbox

Pete

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,878 Posts
I have a very powerful magnet on a long flexible shaft and systematically sweep the area that the tool or fastener has dropped to. It usually gets things quite quickly. I usually sweep with the torch and a mirror first - the item usually reflects the torch light so I know where the item is, otherwise it gets the blind sweep with the magnet. I hate losing tools being the cheapskate I am.

Richard

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
I have a very powerful magnet on a long flexible shaft and systematically sweep the area that the tool or fastener has dropped to. It usually gets things quite quickly. I usually sweep with the torch and a mirror first - the item usually reflects the torch light so I know where the item is, otherwise it gets the blind sweep with the magnet. I hate losing tools being the cheapskate I am.

Richard
Yes I tried that, for a very long time, but I could not see anything. As it turned out it was firmly wedged in around the brake pipes (assumed) just above the steering rack. I only found it after removing the steering rack heat shield. Even after I found it, it was a little battle to finally remove it.

I've had a solid discussion with that tool ;)
Pete

381 - 386 of 386 Posts