Alfa Romeo Forums banner

361 - 380 of 386 Posts

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Yes agree, alfettaparts2.

I'm starting to think anti-rollbar bushes, because as I've said I've not found play anywhere, so far, and this is one area I have not checked for play.

Oil change not far away, and I'm doing spark plugs as well this time. Didn't use a drop of oil going to Wellington and back :). In October we are going to Kaikoura. Yes we are using her for what she was designed to do, be a family car :)
Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes agree, alfettaparts2.

I'm starting to think anti-rollbar bushes, because as I've said I've not found play anywhere, so far, and this is one area I have not checked for play.

Oil change not far away, and I'm doing spark plugs as well this time. Didn't use a drop of oil going to Wellington and back :). In October we are going to Kaikoura. Yes we are using her for what she was designed to do, be a family car :)
Pete
Pete what oil are you running in the 156?

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
10w40 (Castol Magnetic) as per Alfa Romeo recommendations. I don't deviate there. That is why I do not understand people running their old 105's on 10w40 when Alfa Romeo stated 20w50 ...

Pete

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
My parents garage used to be Castrol, so I've simply stuck to Castrol pretty much ever since

Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really need to change the rear cam cover gasket as well as plugs. Its dropping oil onto the exhaust. I just can't be bothered. I actually hate working on cars now. Everything has just become a ****box. I used to love my alfa's so much :(
Customers car yesterday. Positive wire for headlight globe connected straight to earth 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
An Alfa that does not drip oil on to the exhaust has run out of oil :D

I was going to suggest you have a break from the cars, but your 'customers car' comment indicates this is more than just a hobby for you
Pete

Reactions: alfettaparts2

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Today, while welding the GTV door skin, we did some testing of the 156 suspension ... and the end result is the noise is the top inner bushes 100% confirmed.

We studied the bush design and it is overly (?) complex. So at some stage I will modify

Unfortunately the drivers sunvisor decided to break at the same time ... so we went to a pick a part ... found a 156 TS, but sunvisor already broken :(
Pete

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Have you ever used these? How long do they last? Are they hard enough?
Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi Pete. Yeah they have been good. With particular reference to the top inner bushes I have had to re-lubricate a couple from time to time because they can dry out and get that rubber to rubber squeak.
The RRP is pretty expensive considering the cost of replacement arms.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Pete found these while looking for some parts for my car. Some on here give frap a bad rap however I have fitted thousands of their suspension parts to all manner of Italian cars and have always found fitting and service life to be first class. I'm not interested because I want to change out the ball joint as well.

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Interesting, and thanks. I have a plan here. Originality people may get upset, but I'm just changing the bush.

BTW: Be very careful, I mean very very careful, with your sunvisors. My drivers side recently made a crack sound and now flops down. The problem is unbroken ones are becoming extremely rare. After some effort I found one in Wellington for $40, but since this is a design fault (and not just with Alfas but many brands ...) I am going to fix mine with a neat and very small clamp. Poor engineering Alfa Romeo, poor engineering! I consider the top inner bushes poor engineering too, but not on this scale.

Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
BTW: Be very careful, I mean very very careful, with your sunvisors. My drivers side recently made a crack sound and now flops down. The problem is unbroken ones are becoming extremely rare. After some effort I found one in Wellington for $40, but since this is a design fault (and not just with Alfas but many brands ...) I am going to fix mine with a neat and very small clamp. Poor engineering Alfa Romeo, poor engineering! I consider the top inner bushes poor engineering too, but not on this scale.
Yes, and I think sun visors are no longer available from alfa.

I'm just trying to organize a complete kit of lemforder control arms. My suspension is a bit noisy all over however I cant be bothered putting it on the hoist and having a look. Ill just change it all at once. Lazy lol.

Also need the dog bone (engine stay bushes), they are expensive for what they are. Think I will order these.

Alfa Romeo 147 00-10 156 97-07 Powerflex Black V6 EngMnt Stab Bushes PFF1-813BLK | eBay

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
No fair enough, and it is great that you can purchase those bushes separately. My father and I had the time and were curious so we have worked out exactly what is causing the squeak sound. If I was as rich as I would like to be, I'd just replace the lot, but as I've always maintained our family cars I am trying to make the 156 not stand out too much to my lovely wife, who already thinks it drinks too much petrol. I really created a rod for my own back, and should have just got the family cars serviced by a garage, then servicing this one myself would be so much cheaper ... something to remember for my next life! :D

Plus I am always looking for a real project for my lathe!
Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
something to remember for my next life!
Joke: Next life or next wife lol
I am far from wealthy. I just cant be bothered touching my car any more than I need. I try and do work in large batches once or twice a year rather than a little here and a little there.
Also EB spares are one of the best parts sources I have found for our cars.

·
Administrator
13,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Lol.

I think I just have an inbuilt tight arse feature, and refuse to pay people to work on my cars when I can usually do it better.

Years ago I had a new to us Toyota dealer serviced, as it had always been dealer serviced. I was horrified at the cost and lack of communication (they fixed things that I had not asked for, without even a phone call to confirm that they could spend my money).

And yes I'm not constantly working on the 156, 1750 yes, but I listen to her and if I hear a new noise get concerned, otherwise on to the priority list.
Pete

Reactions: alfettaparts2
361 - 380 of 386 Posts