Alfa Romeo Forums banner

341 - 360 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,878 Posts
They are certainly great value for money and I can`t think of any other car that provides as aristocratic high performance soundtrack and great handling, plus special looks as a 156 V6 and is so usable daily although a Twin Spark version is a lighter more balanced car but because of that Busso V6 does not feel quite as special as a V6 version. Either way for what you get and current pricing here I can`t think of a greater "modern" car bargain. Having the successor 159 now as well I can say from personal experience it is not as nice - bigger, heavier, interior and exterior styling not as nice and certainly the driving experience is not as special .

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
I think the steering feel could be slightly better. I remember my GTV feeling more special there with the wood rimmed steering wheel ... but modern people would probably complain of too much feed back, lol.

Engineers that created these 4 door cars, like the Guilia, Alfetta, 75 and the 156 did a so much better job than any Ferrari, especially modern Ferrari/Maserati, engineer. They had to satisfy such wide ranges of buyers. I've read that the paddle shift in Maseratis only really likes being used like you're on a race track ... what a fail.

We travelled to Wellington with 4 adults and a French bulldog, full boot. Ate lunch in the car in the rain, etc. All happy
Pete

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,878 Posts
I think you have to be a lot cleverer to design a 4 door saloon aimed at that middle market. They have to be much more to a greater number of people. By the way I have a tow bar on my twin spark so that I can take garden rubbish to the transfer station, pull a car trailer, or car parts etc so the car functions as entertainment, daily transport or a truck.
Re your steering comment modern cars are desensitised although one of the plusses of the t/s over the V6 is the steering is lighter, more direct and has definitely more feel but nothing like a 105, 101, 116 etc.

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Yes I'm thinking of getting a towbar. I believe I need to drill holes ... pity, but will be useful
Pete

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yes welcome to the real world where the car has to fulfill so many different functions. Consider a towbar a means of equalising the weight distribution a bit more. Re the front wheel drive thing and motoring journalists bias against for performance cars have you honestly thought you had been disadvantaged driving on the road, even as hard as you dare? Can`t say I have and most of ours are rwd and often driven hard - lost my licence 3 times for excessive speed being well over the 30kph line over the speed limit so don`t pussy around. I`ve never felt disadvantaged driving either 156 through the bends at road speeds.

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Ditto. I used to race a Sud and have probably done more miles in a FWD car than RWD, so no issues for me.

Pete

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Back home. Over 1100 kms. I'm tired, but car has been washed and enjoying a break in her spot in the shed
Pete

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Breezed through another warrant, which is hilarious because the top inner bushes need replacing (I can feel play in the left front wheel, why can't they?), and yes I am about to do those. Have the parts, just need to get on with it.

Also no issues with my decambered rear.
Pete

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Front wishbones replaced. Not many easier suspension jobs than that.

Pete

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Certainly a lot easier than most engine bay jobs. I take it you replaced the bushes rather than replaced the arms themselves.

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Certainly a lot easier than most engine bay jobs. I take it you replaced the bushes rather than replaced the arms themselves.
I bought 2nd hand wishbones that had good bushes, so I believed, and installed them. Saying that I cannot see anything wrong with my old wishbones bushes, so presently confused. I think I've replaced the wrong components, and maybe the anti-rollbar drop links should have been replaced?

More investigation required, and I feel I was guilty of listening to rumours that the top wishbones destroy their bushes. I watched YouTube videos and their bushes looked absolutely stuffed compared to mine ... watch this space as I have not got to the bottom of learning about the front suspension of my car
Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
Pete they do destroy the inner top control arm bushes. As well as ever other bush and ball joint on the front suspension. Fitting second hand arms was a mistake. Sorry.

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
I'm okay with it being a mistake. I now have a spare set of wishbones I can play with.

What I don't understand is the bushes don't look stuffed
Pete

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
They do seem to knock out the anti roll bar links before they wear the bushes out in the top arms. my V6 156 had worn links at 150km`s but I replaced the top arms as well . Did the top arms first and no difference to the knocking, however once new links were installed knocking noise disappeared. My Twin Spark at 135km is on original arms and links with no knocking at all so I think service life isn`t too bad or as short as made out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Alfa virus, all the front suspension wears. Trust me.
Pete they look ok off the car but as you know its that movement when you shake the wheel at 12 and 6 that will show the wear.
My advice to anyone with one of these cars would be if you are going to keep the car and use it like you do Pete change all top and bottom arms and sway bar bushes.
Front suspension kits are cheap.
Changing the sway bar bushes involves removing the sway bar. Little bit of work involved in that.

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
I intend to remove the anti rollbar links and do a road test to see if the noise goes/changes.

Visually the top inner wishbones look fine, and there is no play (with replacement wishbones anyway ... also she just got a warrant)

Soon we'll get to the bottom of it
Pete

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #358 (Edited)
It is a clunk/clack that I am trying to solve. I like to be able to identify the source of noises so I can determine if it's a safety concern or just a nuisance.

Anyway it is so easy to work on. Bottom wishbone inners are a bit difficult, but the rest is easy. I'd like to learn what it actually is.

If the top inner bushes are the cause, I'd be amazed as they look brand new and very solid, and no play ... but we'll soon know. If it is, something like the bottom inner bushes out of a 105 series will be used for the top inners.

Such a strange top wishbone design. Could easily have had been wider, and more typical ... but I guess there was a reason. Cost?
Pete

·
Registered
502 Posts
Under engineered for the V6 really. Its not as bad in the 4cy cars given its all the same suspension but even they wear out.
Bottom ball joints clunk, easy to check with a lever on a unloaded suspension. Just have to put the lever in the rite place. Worn sway bar bushes have a similar but different sound.
If its your own car (as it is) its really something you just want to do once and change everything. Removing the sway bar involves undoing some of the exhaust, lowering the huge shield that runs along the top of the exhaust, lowering the sub frame at the rear so you can remove the bar from the side. Its easy but would be a ***** without a hoist or having never done it many times. Then you have to drill out the bush brackets, change bushes, and spot weld them together.
Once all the work to remove the sway bar is done the lower control arms a pretty straight forward (you can change the lower arms without all the sway bar work but its easy once you have gone that far).
Mines going to need some tlc soon but 100% I will just change everything at once. I hate doing things twice.

Oh there is a small chance that the top of the strut can be noisy, just to add another thing lol

·
Administrator
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
But if you change everything, you don't learn the cause, but yes I understand your point.

Nothing worries me. She's worth the drama, and been there and done that. My parent's garage used to fix everything and anything.
Pete

341 - 360 of 386 Posts