Alfa Romeo Forums banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
So I jacked her up and removed her under tray and wheel liners so the aircon experts could see things ... and surprise surprise her outer CV joint boots have split. Repco don't stock so I've ordered them from Alfa Workshop in the UK. Fingers crossed I've caught this early ...
Pete

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #302 (Edited)
So aircon place was not far away so slowly drove her to get that looked at. Only had 30 grams of refrigerant in the system (so Repco regas gas level test process doesn't work, or I misunderstood the instructions). So it has been regased and a dye added as must have a leak.

The aircon place also noted oil leaks (yes it has a couple of minor leaks) and a water leak (yes occasionally it drips water off or around the oil filter. I've been keeping an eye on it. It is very very minor and so far I cannot work out the source. Head gasket?).

One of the problems if an undertray ...
Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The 156`s (both Twin Spark and V6) have water pipes to the oil filter area - an oil cooler. It would pay to check the tightness of the fasteners where the pipes connect to the filter area.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Thanks

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Okay, how do you guys jack up your 156s without putting large dents in the floor?

My front jack points are munted and now my floor is also dented (I use the jack points, but ...) because it appears to be impossible to jack these cars up without causing permanent damage.

Hopefully a piece of wood and very large hammer will get the dents out of the floor, errrr.
Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Pete, I`m lucky in that the jacking points are usable. Twin Spark is perfect, the V6 a bit knocked about in comparison on the front driver`s side jacking point however when I did the front suspension top arms and roll bar links I was still able to use the proper jacking points on the sill. Because this is a reinforced high strength area it is preferable to use these points unless properly munted and it would be hard to imagine apart from bad rust how this area could be so compromised that it could not be used. Really careful placement of the jack and the type of jack you use (I use a trolley jack) is important though. Just thinking aloud here but if that part of the sill is so damaged that you cannot use a jack there it would surely prevent getting a WOF because severe distortion of this area means its load carrying ability is no longer what it was.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
The vertical seam on the jacking points on my car has been crushed, both sides. There's no rust, just wrong jack use I think.

And when jacking high the floor gets dented.

I don't want to start bodywork repairs on this car, yet, as soon it would turn on to a full respray, plus it is very presentable from 5 to 10 feet away.
Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Gee if there is that much distortion, including surrounding floor area I wouldn`t have given it a WOF. If the previous owner was so stupid he did that damage I`d be a little suspicious of whatever else he touched. If it was a professional repairer I`d have made them get it repaired properly at their expense by an authorised chassis repairer.
It also effects your wheel alignment as it effectively shortens the length on that side - doesn`t seem likely but I`ve seen cars with dented sills and damaged jacking points/floor area on a chassis machine and the deflection can be measured.
All but very slight damage can also significantly affect the structural integrity, that is why dents or buckling to the sill seam can and should be a WOF fail.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #309 (Edited)
The sill is not dented, just the vertical spot weld seam and minor dent in the floor from the other side of a trolley jack (this might be my fault).

This damage is quite common and often caused by tyres changing places that use lifts that lift cars by their wheels, and then lumps of wood if they need to remove a wheel. These lumps of wood put all the load on the vertical spot weld seam, which it is not designed for. I suspect the Alfa scissor jack uses the vertical seam for location, not lifting. A Nissan Bluebird I had years ago was damaged right in front of my eyes at a type shop.

I cannot get my trolley jack further under to reach what look like jacking points for a 4 post hoist.

Here is a photo
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Gee she needs a wash.

Anyway aircon is working brilliantly since she has been regased, and I've just replaced the out CV joint boots (fun job, that one ...)
Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
That seam isn`t as damaged as I got the impression it was, nor is the floor. Nevertheless the seam is the lifting point but it is extremely important to place the jack very carefully with the lifting point right in the centre of the cradle, It is reinforced there but obviously not designed for any sideways force. The sill decoration also doesn`t help matters in placing the jack correctly. A bit different from our 105`s isn`t it.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
I think I'll try driving up on a piece of wood so I can get my jack to the other jacking point.

But completely agree with your comments. I have my father's old car repair workshop jack, so it's not a toy one, but maybe it needs an adapter on its pad to stop adding to the damage ... thinking has started.

Wish I could fix this area, but would require paint ...
Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Have you got a SuperCheap in Tauranga? They offer a paint matching service which I believe is nation wide and provide the matched paint in rattle cans. All the prep under coats and clear etc are also sold by them and I have used this service several times. Cost is fairly modest, I`m pretty tight minded.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
So the 156v6 joined many Alfa Romeos with parade laps at Taupo raceway :D
Pete

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
156v6, of course, never missed a beat over the 300+ km weekend. Aircon worked well, cv joints were ignored as usual and we successfully stopped the minor water leak from the pipe behind the rear head that goes down to the oil heat exchanger (we did this by double hose clipping where the rubber hose becomes the metal hose).

Didn't use any oil or water, and we had fun with about 6-8 laps of the Taupo race track. We were not allowed to pass so pace was slow, but we experimented with lines and enjoyed being on a race track for the first time in 25 years.
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Another 470kms and of course never missed a beat. Zoomed down to Wellington for the weekend. No noticeable oil used and passing is so easy, and fun. Great car

To much roadworks though, ***? Constantly cleaning of, I assume, cement ... errr
Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
How is the a/c now? Any leak showing with the dye the a/c people put in it? Re the stuff on the car,
it would be tar rather than cement wouldn`t it Pete? Our roads are tar then chip spread on it rather than in some overseas countries where the surface indeed is concrete.
One tends to forget the 156 is quite an old car now despite the modern look and good performance. I have even been asked more than once if our TS is a new car by those who are not really into cars. I saw a really immaculate one yesterday (at the Skope Classic) and it reminded me what a good looking car they are but to see a good one now is rare.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
A/c is great I cannot see any leaks but I'll be taking it back soon for them to check it. Might as well.

As for the stuff all over my car, the signs say cement and yeah I don't understand that either, but it is the color of cement or dirt. So far it is coming off each time, so I'm happy.
Pete

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
1086kms later we're home. I got the water blaster out to clean under the guards and underneath. She needs a polish, maybe ...

On the way home shot:
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Washed and polished. Spotless again. If I won lotto I'd get her repainted or detailed, but she still is a beaut.
Pete

301 - 320 of 320 Posts