Alfa Romeo Forums banner

281 - 297 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rear bushes 156

Pete have you checked the rear lateral arm bushes. They also wear. Jack the rear and try moving the wheel at 9 and three. There should be no play. Have seen bearing failures as well.

Front arms wear quickly and are checked every service.

A good wheel alignment operator can set your car up to your needs. Factory specs are not ideal.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Pete have you checked the rear lateral arm bushes. They also wear. Jack the rear and try moving the wheel at 9 and three. There should be no play.
I did not feel any play when I recently rotated the tyres, but will double check
Front arms wear quickly and are checked every service.
Yes, and I do have play on left front, and suspect that this is where my "little" problem is, i.e. the front top inner bushes are worn, causing extra negative camber on the front resulting in increased inner tyre wear. On top of that I've reduced their pressures to 32 psi, which appears to have been a mistake. The tyres that are now needing replacement have just come off the front, but they are also older than the other pair
A good wheel alignment operator can set your car up to your needs. Factory specs are not ideal.
I'm happy to have a little play here and "tone her down" a bit :)
Pete

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #283 (Edited)
Okay, as I have not been working on the GTV, I've put a bit of thought into the 156's tyre premature wearing issue.

• I have checked all REAR bushes I can see and all appear good, and there is no play.
  • I have measured the REAR negative camber using a T square, the garage floor and some maths and I get ~2 degrees negative camber. This does not match the last wheel alignment recorded settings of 1.3 negative. So either my measuring/maths is wrong or for some reason we have more negative camber now ??
  • I have removed the top bolt of the REAR strut to wheel hub to see what the size is, so I can order the correct eccentric bolt, so I can tune the camber to what I prefer (and also the next owner can return it to factory specs, if so desired, by a simple adjustment). And of course 99% of shops/sites want me to specify the car so they can provide a correct replacement, but that is not the case here, I'm modifying. So never mind, I will keep the bolt and make adjustment plates that can be installed in 4 different orientations to get 4 different camber settings, with one being as it is now.
  • To make the REAR camber adjustable, I need to do a small amount of welding on the struts, so they will be removed to do this professionally, repaint, etc. ......... and while there I will check the top strut bush as I am now wondering if these have failed ???
I want to do this before the front, because I want to be able to use the car for long trips without wearing out my brand new tyres. Then the front (yes I have already designed how I can make the camber adjustable at that end too) and then the aircon (summer is coming, and wife has told me to get it sorted) ... and she will be better than perfect again.
Pete

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Pete, I think you are going to unnecessary trouble and expense. Ive just done the top arms and anti roll bar links on my V6 156 (`98 model) to cure the knock I had occasionally - all up $260 for 2 top arms and two links. I have my own measuring equiptment and is within manufacturers spec which I checked after you raised the question. I have at this stage no abnormal wear on the front (or rear tyres) but as I said tyres are set at 37.5 psi and not Chinese el cheapo tyres either. I think you need to recheck measurements but if still out despite there appearing to be no play replace those top arms.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #285 (Edited)
Pete, I think you are going to unnecessary trouble and expense. Ive just done the top arms and anti roll bar links on my V6 156 (`98 model) to cure the knock I had occasionally - all up $260 for 2 top arms and two links. I have my own measuring equiptment and is within manufacturers spec which I checked after you raised the question. I have at this stage no abnormal wear on the front (or rear tyres) but as I said tyres are set at 37.5 psi and not Chinese el cheapo tyres either. I think you need to recheck measurements but if still out despite there appearing to be no play replace those top arms.
Note I'm only working on the rear suspension at the moment. I don't believe there are top arms?. I've edited my previous post to include the word REAR, which I had missed ... apologies

But yes I will replace the front top arms, or at least the bushes (and your $260 is good value. No problem there). And yes my new rear tyres are Goodyears :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Apologies for the confusion. I see you can get front top arm bushes but doing my sums cost was more, plus I was concerned with harshness and you still have the old ball joint. I managed by being patient to score an OE manufacturer`s part discounted off Ebay UK via one of those big UK parts suppliers who buy in bulk, hit the manufacturers hard and believe in turning stock over rather than having stock sitting on shelves forever. 156`s are getting old now and manufacturers and parts warehouses are wanting to quit stock and replace with product in higher demand. Bargains are to be had if you are patient and decisive.
Re your rear suspension same advice applies recheck your measurements because unless holes are worn out there must be wear in bushes- either that or very poor accident damage repair, ( or some clueless clown`s modification thinking he can make his car handle better than Alfa`s factory engineers).
Great to see your GTV coming along - you`ll be finished before mine the way your progressing , and I`ve got far less to do......

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #287 (Edited)
A guy in Australia is advertising 2 new top front arms for $200 from memory ... I guess I should have bought them.

Thanks for the advice :)
Pete

·
Registered
290 Posts
156 wheel alignment

Pete in one way it’s a shame you didn’t find a worn lateral arm or something to explain the rear tyre wear. Check the front because it will effect the rear if it’s bad enough. I have even seen the front control arms broken where they mount to the subframe and thus flopping around. By the sound of it you know your car pretty well so I doubt you would let anything get that bad. If everything’s tight I would just be thinking alignment. Never since these cars where new have we needed to replace the rear strut top Bush’s but there’s always a first. We have seen maybe two cracked rear suspension subframes in 20 odd years of the 156.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
Update regarding REAR camber setting

I installed an Angle measuring application on my phone and used it (plus a oven tray to get a flat surface on the wheels) and measured both rear wheels angle. So one side was ~1 degree and the other was ~1.8 degrees. So if you take the middle road it matches the wheel alignment specs recorded in the last wheel alignment and therefore in spec ... so all good and my previous attempt at measuring was a fail ... and my garage floor must not be dead flat.

So all good. The issue with MY car is the front as remember the tyres that had to be replaced had just been put on the rear, so yes new top inner bushes/arms will get it back perfectly in spec ...

I'm just enjoying the fun of potential modifications :D (and yes I know I give others a hard time over this so ... I should have a talk to myself!)
Pete

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Negotiating to buy 2 brand new top front wishbones. Believe genuine ...
Pete

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Wife believes it is the way I drive that is causing accelerated tyre wear ...

Anyway, bumpstomped and decambered rear (which can easily be adjusted back):
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Did I really need to change the rear chamber?, probably not, but I definitely need to get the aircon fixed. Front suspension will have to wait a little longer.

Friggin hot over here in Papamoa
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I'm just enjoying the fun of potential modifications :D (and yes I know I give others a hard time over this so ... I should have a talk to myself!)
Pete
Admitting the issue is the first part of correcting the issue...:wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #297 (Edited)
Are they an improvement on the original setup?
My original bump stops had gone missing, so yes big improvement over no bump stops.

But if you can get the original, I'd stick with them, I just mentioned the KYB ones because you can get them from Repco (which means super easily in NZ and Australia), and they are cheap and fit (I suspect a bit longer though), and work. Even the rubber gaiter boot fits.
Pete

281 - 297 of 297 Posts