Alfa Romeo Forums banner

241 - 260 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
So the battery did take charge and she fired right up, so fingers crossed all good there.

While I was playing I fixed the battery fuse cover thing that somebody had previously broken and fixed with tape ... ugly. I've managed to repair the hinges neatly with cable ties. I also carefully bent up repaired plastic undertray up in the middle. I previously fixed it with a small alloy tube running right across the back end on the inside and riveted to the plastic. By bending it up a little in the middle moved it tighter to the bottom of the engine which is what I wanted, and ensured it did not look like it was sagging in the middle. Hmmm air cleaner, just blew it cleaner ... I'll order a new one one day ... not the easiest thing to get out and back in.

Went for a drive, pulled ~6k revs in 4th just to make sure she still works ;). On the return trip I actually felt the air con was working well enough as was nice and comfortable temp in the car on a fine Tauranga day :). Washed and parked away for the next 10k km's.

Back to the GTV ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Tauranga, pretty area. Have taken the hike around the mountain. Great views. Also some nice restaurant in town.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Yep, nice quiet and sleepy place, surrounded by great roads 🙂
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
So I had a couple of hours, and did not feel like building shelves (next step for the GTV so i can clear the floor and turn her around to work on the other side), so the front passenger now has a cup holder ... well will when the paint dries.

An improved design, designed for coffee cups as my lovely wife is an avid coffee drinker.

I had to make a internal cone for the coffee cup and looking around for something to use as a hammer form and low and behold one of the 1750's old liners was the perfect size!

The 156v6 will soon be an even more perfect touring car
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Okay the passenger seat coffee cup holder has not worked out as good as hoped. I've had 2 passengers in her and the first one caught it with his foot getting in ... and the second kept bumping in to a drink bottle with his foot.

So I'm going to move it to near the centre tunnel and attach it to the seat (somehow) so it moves with the seat.

An example on how modifying a car is never just a simple single step.
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #247 (Edited)
New Zealand has decided to stop raining (yes strange I know) and now hot, so the aircon issues have come to the fore. So I bit the bullet and bought from Repco a CRC regassing/refill can. Only $50 something!

The first step is to check the existing pressure and low and behold she has perfect pressure!! So the gas is not the issue. So it is either the compressor is not turning on (I believe it is from a previous test ... but ) or the compressor is not compressing.

I guess I will need to get a part number for the compressor and start ringing around for a rebuilt one? Of course removing the compressor will cause the gas to be lost and really should be captured ...
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
I've been reading everything I can find on air-conditioning and I now think the issue is the Thermal Expansion (TX) valve or there is a blockage in the system. I say this because the (high pressure) pipe on both sides of the TX valve is hot, and on the evaporator (passenger compartment side) of the TX valve the pipe should be colder. The TX valve alters the pressure by lowering it and this is what makes the refrigerant cold(er).

There are multiple potential causes for the TX valve not to work. Internally it could be stuck due to grit or water getting into the system, or it has worn out or the passenger compartment temperature sensor is sending it incorrect information, i.e. that sensor needs to be replaced.

So my goal now is to try and feed the TX valve information manually to see if I can get cold air inside the car. If I can it means I need to order a new sensor(s?), if I can't then I'm either wrong about the issue being the TX valve area, or the TX valve needs replacing/cleaning out/rebuilding.
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
I'm full of poo, and the thing I have been thinking is the TX valve is not but some sort of pressure sensor. I now believe the TX valve is hidden, I assume, under the dashboard somewhere. Basically I have no idea what I am doing in regards to air conditioning. I now understand the principle but not how to diagnose.

I'm going to get a quote for a shop to diagnose what is wrong and go from there ...
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
I got pissed off and bought a brand new battery for her. Now to get the aircon working again ...

Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Major milestone for her last night, clocked over 100,000 miles (unfortunately this is shown as 160,000 kms) ... so to celebrate I drove her to work this morning, putting on another 70. I've now done nearly 30% of her mileage. Wonder why the previous owners left her sitting in the shed for obviously so long and too often? Maybe they had a fleet of Alfas that needed to share the fun :)

Pete

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Pete, they could have been like me I`ve only done an average of 2500km`s each year since we`ve had the Twin Spark- too many cars but guess what, I`ve bought another - a `98 156 V6 (manual). I just couldn`t help myself as I love that Busso V6 and firmly believe that 156`s will be if they are not already a minor classic Alfa which will never be cheaper in good condition. I also fell in love with the colour of the car, Fantasia or Fantasy Blue (code 402) a blue that changes to a turquoise green in different light. Unfortunately it has the black leather trim which I don`t particularly like, whereas our Twin Spark has red leather and looks superb. Already the V6 has had people in the car park come up and comment about the colour and the car but we regularly have that with the Twin Spark, although nothing about the exterior colour (silver) but rather about the car itself and the interior, or the combination. As the 156`s have got older naturally they have diminished in number but those that are around have also got scruffier and to see a good one now is rare. When they are in excellent condition people notice them as again like most Alfas they do look different and to non car people are difficult to age. Many of the people who come to us to comment on the car are very surprised at the age, thinking they are current model or a very few years old. So sad though that many say they`ve always wanted one but.....

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Even my current boss has said that he always wanted an Alfa Romeo, but ... owns a VW instead.

And yes that blue colour is awesome. I was looking at a blue one with tan leather, but turned out to be a con and thankfully even if it was real I didn't buy it as it was pre 2000 which would mean 6 month warrants. Nobody in my family thought it worth sharing that with me ... [email protected]!
Pete

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I need to do top front inner suspension bushes. Any recommendations? Not a fan of poly, but might be easiest and relube when the inevitable squeaks start. Have seen some cheap prices for rubber bushes from Latvia ... ??
Pete

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I need to do top front inner suspension bushes. Any recommendations? Not a fan of poly, but might be easiest and relube when the inevitable squeaks start. Have seen some cheap prices for rubber bushes from Latvia ... ??
Pete
During the time these cars were mainstream, everybody was replacing front suspension parts very often - they’re chocolate.

The lessons learned from this at the time (from memory) were. Use Alfa original upper and lower wishbones where possible or OE TRW replacements - they last the longest and have the best tolerances and ride compliance.

“OriginalBirth” were another (favourite) supplier, however I found poor quality control on over half of these items and eventually decided to just use original Alfa always (as I do now with the GQV).

Most people who went to poly reported harshness and poly squeaks.. your mileage may vary but I’d just bite the bullet and replace the lot (upper, lower, drop links, ARB) with OE TRW or Original Alfa Parts if you can find them cheaply. I get everything these days from shop4parts in the UK. There is a 10% discount code for Alfa club members (ask me) and they will source original parts not listed on their excellent website direct from Alfa Italy if you ask and supply part number and VIN.

Reason I say just replace the lot at once is the labour.. there’s nothing more annoying than replacing one part of the system to find you have to go back in a few weeks later for the next bit (you will)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I’ve been told by different mechanics and parts guys that German Lemforder control arms are the best and last longer. They are more expensive, but probably worth it in the long run. I have poly bushes on the GT ARB and they are fine.

You certainly have to keep away from the Chinese control arms. I found a Chinese company online that makes them. They will sell you 100 for a Honda, for $1.10 each! They will also supply boxes with any manufacturers label you want, complete with barcodes and part numbers.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
Why can't I just buy the bushes? Not the Latvia ones but genuine?

I understand the labor comments but if I spent $500 on the 156, my wife would be unimpressed.

I'll get a quite on poly ... hate giving the massively inferior product my money though
Pete

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Why can't I just buy the bushes? Not the Latvia ones but genuine?

I understand the labor comments but if I spent $500 on the 156, my wife would be unimpressed.

I'll get a quite on poly ... hate giving the massively inferior product my money though
Pete
I dunno Pete... can you buy just the OE bushes?
I don’t think they actually sell them

Just poly (for the top)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Pete, on Ebay.UK there are a number of the big British and Euro parts wholesalers advertising suspension kits, some including rack ends for quite cheap prices. Many of these are from Euro manufacturers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
241 - 260 of 297 Posts