Alfa Romeo Forums banner

581 - 599 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
My theory is that every car needs a backup - but I live out of town and have no public transport backup. My most unreliable car was a brand new Nissan Maxima (in 12 months I got to drive it for 5) and most rusty was a Nissan Skyline. The only advantage of a japanese car is that they will cope with deferred maintenance for longer. My assertion is that with regular maintenance a $3k 156 will be as reliable as a a $10k anything. Buy two 156s so you always have one running while the other is being maintained.

BUT: we are fighting perception not reality. When your Toyota Corolla breaks down you think "oh, how unusual". when your Alfa breaks down you think "not again!".

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
Yes all valid points.

I want to point out our 156v6 has been reliable, and yes if I paid to have it serviced I would be less frustrated with it, but it would recently have been stuck at the shop for a long time while parts took a week to arrive from overseas. And the garage would have been obliged to replace everything on the front of the engine while replacing the timing belt => expensive service. Overall because I serviced it, it has not cost a lot to run for the ~5 years I've had it.

I will be sad to see her go, and I really hope to sell it to an AROCNZ person or at least an enthusiast.

2 things have caused me to accept that it needs to go:
1. I've recently spent more time working on her than my 1750 GTV
2. The poor engineering. Now I look at parts of the car and just shake my head and think, "they really don't give a toss about the mechanic", and that really frustrates me because in some cases it would be so easily fixed.
A few simple examples:
A. Stop with using cap screws everywhere, just use normal bolts where you can, i.e. the timing belt tensioner would be much easier to remove and install, given the lack of access, if normal bolts were spec'ed
B. Relocate the air conditioning pipes so they go up and around the windscreen water bottle. Putting them so they reduce the already tight access to the cambelt is just being a *****
c. Relocate the power steering pump pipes so they do not have to be undone and pushed out of the way to replace the oil filter. Again, just being a *****
d. And for Pete's sake, whoever spec'ed that nut on the end of the crankshaft should hand in their engineering degree and clean toilets for the rest of their lives. Drill and tap the end of the crankshaft, and put an M10 bolt in there, done and done perfectly! The current design means that in most cases that nut will need to be replaced => wasting their customers $'s

We bought it because our son was ill, and I was not able to work at all on the GTV. Thankfully our son is doing extremely well now. I have enjoyed many drives, I love the driving experience of that engine, love the gear change, love the fact that you never even have to think about a corner or passing, and think it is a beautiful looking car, but it is time for an I don't have to worry or care car again
Pete

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I thought about starting a new thread but I think anyone who is relevant to my irrelevant ramblings would already be following this one.
The MITO bought is a fantastic little car. Its not a alfa as we know it but somehow its every bit alfa.
The electronic steering is wonderfully weighted and responsive through the manual rack.
The seating position is low slung in the floor pan with all the controls adjustable.
The chassis is tight, to tight for some sub par suburban roads. Turns in sharp as a pin.
The tct transmission works well. Different DNA modes, its like driving a manual with the refinement of a auto. Doesn't like to be pottered around slowly but when driving briskly changes with a rewarding engagement.
The 1.4 engine performs more than enough for some fun, think slightly better than a good alfetta.
Build quality is good. Some trim parts need attention due to a caveman fitting an after market sat nav. The door trims are made from some cold hard plastic.
I bought a car cover for it a few days ago. I don't even bother with the GTA, maybe that's a reflection of how much I enjoy this car.
Reliability reviews are outstanding. If anyone ignores a MITO or indeed a Gulietta I have to say they are missing out on a simple pleasure of alfa life.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
Glad you are enjoying it. We have bought a Nissan Qashqai/Dualis. We had one in Sydney and I liked it. My wife likes sitting up high and how it is softly sprung, and of course it is very quiet.

I will miss the 156v6, but will be glad to be able to focus on the 1750. If the 1750 was finished and running, I would have fought harder for the 156v6
Pete

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,936 Posts
I see Pete your V6 has appeared on TradeMe. Looks a good looking car with the Monza alloys rather than the Teledials mine has. That combination with the red paint suits it. However I don`t think you needed to put that it had been in a bad accident though if it isn`t obvious and the car is alright. The comment about the insurance company`s attitudes to Alfa Romeos also is something I would not have put. I think when you are selling you should always accentuate the positive and unless it is material or major or you are legally obliged to disclose anything wrong keep quiet.
Good luck with the sale.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
TradeMe pops up saying it has been re-registered so I thought I'd just answer the logical question: why?

It really was a minor accident, hence my comment about insurance companies. Twas an easy fix they should have done. I know of a 2000GTV that was written off when a year or 2 old, that was repaired in one morning!
Pete

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
I hope it is sold to an AROCNZ member

But yes I hate selling things ...
Pete

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Saw your Trademe ad Pete, reads fine I think. interesting that plugging your plate into CARJAM pulls back the original plate as well.

·
Push hard and live
11,014 Posts
Pete...

As I look back, I can understand my own inner currents, and how they affected, or even created, the inflection points in my life.

The vast majority of people fear change. They will embrace lives of monotonous desperation rather than toss the mooring lines and push off the shore.

All of our ideas and dreams are good. Some just don't last as long. So.... become good at change. Shoot the crippled mare in the head, walk out of the barren desert into the nearest town, find a saloon, buy the first women you see a tall drink, and strike up a conversation.

$hit happens. Let it.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
I've removed the re-registered comments ... wife thinks it is better to answer when asked. She is the seller in the family, not me

Pete

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
All good, many of my family can't wait to get back over to Australia. My wife and children are Australians and I was thinking seriously about becoming one myself before we moved back to NZ.
Pete

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was of course joking.
This is good news if the bubble can stay open. Hopefully the government can get its stuff together with the vaccine rollout before winter because the current federal government here are more interested in lining their own pockets and covering up sex scandals. Utterly useless.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,936 Posts
Pete, are you going to point out a point of difference with your V6, that of the Monza spec front spoiler which is deeper than the standard front spoiler which is fitted to both the Lusso and Veloce versions. Those alloys are also special to the Monza version which was a body kit option you could choose on the dealers floor when buying your new 156. As your price is perhaps a wee bit high you need to justify what you are asking. It is a good looking , very well serviced car with a rare kit option in , it appears, above average condition. A cheap Alfa collectible which as we have seen is probably going to hold its value or likely appreciate but is still usable as daily transport. You are arguably selling potential as well.
I , as a 156V6 owner as well watch your sale with interest as I did originally buy mine to resell to help finance restoration of my 105 coupe. I should have known that V6 is so addictive its hard to part with but ironically you getting on with your 105 has spurred me to do the same and I suspect there will be a Fantasia Blue V6 on Trade Me too within 2-3 months.

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #595 (Edited)
FYI There are others that are considerably more expensive than mine on TradeMe, but thanks I have updated the description.

Somebody wants $7500 for a 1999 4 cylinder 156, somebody else wants $6500 for a plain v6 (but yes low kms). Somebody else wants $3000 for a 2002 v6 Q-System ... worth nothing IMO

Pete

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm appreciative of these people with high asking prices for 156s - I'm about to put a 2001 v6 q-system on and I'll be setting start = reserve of $3,200 so I appreciate it not being the most expensive. It's a nice example with mild sport enhancements (eibach springs and a sports exhaust).

Personally, I don't want an automatic (to quote a friend: real drivers use three pedals and two hands). However, I don't rubbish it - it drives really nicely. Changes out of 1st a lttle too early even in sport mode but then it's fast. It's actually the car that had it's timing incorrect before having the cambelt and water pump changed by my freind the Alfa expert - I wasn't able to tell that anything was wrong until it was fixed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
FYI There are others that are considerably more expensive than mine on TradeMe, but thanks I have updated the description.

Somebody wants $7500 for a 1999 4 cylinder 156, somebody else wants $6500 for a plain v6 (but yes low kms). Somebody else wants $3000 for a 2002 v6 Q-System ... worth nothing IMO

Pete
Typical, as a generalization alfa prices seem to vary so much compared to other brands.
The V6 auto was probably the most reliable of the bunch, shame its loveless because it was a really nice package.

You have nothing to complain about now you don't have a alfa daily driver. Will this thread now end?

·
Administrator
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
Yes this thread will end, unless the new owner wants to keep it going.

I, possibly incorrectly, have the view that automatic Alfas are troublesome.

Many years ago I drove a brand new automatic 164. Heck it was fast!!!
Pete

581 - 599 of 599 Posts