Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo.... I've tried everything to get my engine out. I've tipped the transmission, hose clamped the guibos, my driveshaft is in a million parts (shift linkage is out to facilitate that little endeavour), engine bellhousing is removed, etc etc etc, and something was STILL holding my engine back. It had a little give, then it'd stop. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the heck was still holding it back!

So I had a bit of a temper tantrum. :whistling:

I pumped the engine up a bit so the crank pulley would clear the crossmember, grabbed hold of both cam pulleys, bellied up against the front lip of the car, and all 150lbs of me had a hulk moment.

The engine came forward, then stopped, I said "RAWR" and it broke free after something broke, but I have no idea what it is. I was hoping you guys could help:

Engine out with the guibo resting just behind the engine flywheel:

aaaaand the broken metal thingie:

it looks like it's supposed to sit on the driveshaft but under the flywheel. Maybe some sort of pilot bearing? Any info would certainly help.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Hi Bill

The broken metal thingie is the centering device that center the end of the driveshaft inside the flywheel. Looks like your one seized to the flywheel, which happens fairly often.

You can buy new ones.

Seeing as you had the rear engine bell-housing off. Why did you not pull the Guibo off? Would it not come loose ?

Bye

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I had that guibo disconnected from the flywheel, then from the driveshaft (at the same time!). I tried prying on it, I tried hose clamping it, that puppy never moved!

THEN I get the engine clear of the fender and it falls on the floor (unassisted).

I tell ya... This Alfa does weird things sometimes.

Would IAP be a good source for a centering device?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Driveshaft flywheel bushing

Hey Bill

I encourage you to get your Alfa parts from Centerline Alfa. They're Alfa only and much closer to you.

The part you need is FD811 it's called a "flywheel drive-shaft bushing".

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/driveshaft-axle/1089

Unfortunately it's currently on back order.

Sounds like whoever had the drive-shaft apart last didn't adequately pack the bushing with grease.

Also put anti-size on the shanks of the Guibo bolts and inside the Guibo holes. This will prevent the Guibo bolts from rusting to the bolts.

Take a picture of the very end of your drive-shaft, the bit that goes into the bushing, it may need some attention.

Bye

I will not buy this tobacconist, it is scratched.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Centerline it is! Thanks for the part number. Back order is no problem, I've got a toddler so garage time comes slow (lots of time to wait on parts)

But that brings up a good question: What grease is recommended for the bearing?

I'll see if I can grab ya a shot of the driveshaft tomorrow morning before work.

Thanks again!

Please fondle my buttocks.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I use moly CV grease on all of the spherical centering devices for the driveshaft. There is also a bushing pressed into the flywheel (kind of shaped like a top hat) - check that it's not badly damaged. If it falls out of the flywheel easily you'll need to address it... use loctite if you install a new one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give the flywheel a gander next time I'm out there and see what falls out :)

Here's the pictures I promised:

I don't see any scoring or damage to the tip at all, but thought I'd let you guys give it a second look.

On the subject of that second picture: See that nut that appears to hold the guibo adapter (that's what I'm calling it at least) to the driveshaft by what I assume to be a spline fitting?

Would it be reasonable to think that when I go to reinstall the engine I could mate the engine to the driveshaft there (as opposed to fighting with the guibo again)? I was thinking I could loosen that bolt, slide the adapter off the spline shaft, hook everything on the guibo side to the engine, slide it back over the spline on the reinstall, tighten the bolt, and Robert's my father's brother.

Thanks

Another quick question: Why in the sam-hill is that dang starter flywheel so darn heavy? Doesn't this beast already have a flywheel attached to a clutch back at the transaxle side of things? Anything (cheap) I can do about that?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know I'll sound like an infomercial, but PB Blaster is amazing stuff. It has loosened many a seized item for me. Especially where fire would be bad.

Nick

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the aft section of the driveshaft dropped out and I never got the chance to mark it. Do I need to get everything out and have it balanced or is it worth it to chance it?

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
The front and rear driveshaft halves need to be reassembled in the same phase in order to retain balance. Better figure it out or buy a new driveshaft.

The driveshaft is designed to be removed by loosening the pinch bolt on the splined yoke. The driveshaft comes out in one piece rather easily if you drop the nose of the dedion down a couple of inches (very easy!)...not sure why you separated it.

Edit - you may need a new driveshaft anyway. The photos aren't clear on my machine but if you have damaged the front centering pin you need an entire driveshaft.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I didn't see the splined yolk until I was about 90% of the way through (the head of the bolt was facing up, and the bellhousing shrouded it from my view). For some reason the two engine removal threads I came across had me thinking a hose clamp on the first guibo was the way to go. Ah well, everyone has a first.

So you're saying even if I can get the driveshaft back together, there will never be a balance unless I can get it back together the way it came off?

So! Three guibos. Two are currently apart apart. I can get one back together which means one's going to be a guessing game. ah, what the heck. It's a one in three shot. I've bet more on less. Besides, if I get it wrong it becomes 50/50 (and so on).

Good times

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Reconnecting driveshaft halves.

Ay Carumba so many issues in one thread !

Bill PM me with your email address and I'll send you some stuff on drive-shafts that may help you.

Briefly, you can also certainly properly reconnect you front and rear drive-shaft halves.

Starting at the front of the drive-shaft you have a three legged yoke. It's 120 degrees between each yoke. The front yoke has a locating spline, so it can only go on one way.

The next yoke needs to be 60 degrees out of phase with the first yoke. Meaning if you sight down the drive-shaft from the second yoke, the legs of the second yoke should be exactly in the middle of the arc created by any two legs on the first yoke.

Now there are only so many splines on the shaft so you may not be able to get it exactly centered but aim for that.

Bye for now

My hovercraft is full of eels

I will not buy this tobacconist, it is scratched.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
On the bright side, I found someone on grassroots who may have a spare driveshaft bearing.

Milano: Thanks for the info man. I haven't removed the spline attachment yet (everything's been disconnected at the guibos so far) but I'll sight down the barrel and make sure everything lines up as you say it should.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace the front guibo, and I'm thinking I'll replace the carrier bearing while I'm at it. I also looked in to flywheel options (for a lighter version) and found some interesting info on the theory of operation behind the heavy flywheels and guibos Alfa installed. It turns out this may have been done to use the driveshaft like a torsion bar to absorb sharp impacts (from decel to accel) in an effort to protect the transaxle.

Interesting!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, seriously. How does this bearing detach itself from the driveshaft?

Me and another member here have been scratching our heads for about 2-days and it's getting kind of embarrassing... When I put my two pieces back together the holes in the bearing are too small to slide over the driveshaft.

The other member here says his has a c-clip and a spring in it (but I found neither in mine).

(I'm currently digging through a few manuals I have, but nothing's come to light yet)

Good times :)

thanks everyone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts