Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 1981 Spider and brought it home! This is replacing a 1962 Toyota Land Cruiser so it is quite modern for me. Of course, it is also quite different and so I'll have lots of questions. I know pictures are required so here's a start - it is raining and this is poorly done in my garage. The link is to a picasa album created for this car and will continue to be better populated.

Picasa Spider

The overview - everything clean, nice paint, no rust, funny after-market exhaust.
The test drive - started right up, shifted smooth, handled great.
The purchase - easy.
The drive home - 3 hours and loved it, except...

Issue #1:
I started hearing a groaning sound from the rear of the vehicle. The sound is the same once it is over about 15 mph - it just gets louder. It remains even if it is out of gear. I eventually started smelling gear oil. I'm thinking differential? Then I found this post. which I think confirms that.

Issue#2:
I'm home and open the hood. Oil is everywhere! OK - it's mostly located in front, right above the belts and fan. Then I review the documentation (I know - too late for that!) the PO provided and see a sticky note on a receipt from April 2011 that says Crankcase seal (300-500). I'm assuming he knew this and had the engine bay all nicely cleaned prior to my inspection. Oh well. From the picture of the hood, does that make sense?

Anyone recommend a repair shop in or around Fremont, MI? I actually have several that I trust and will ask what they know about Alfas.

Thanks for all your insights and knowledge.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Grats on the purchase and welcome to the boards

Nice purchase, I have a 79 and am doing a full restore on it. I am just starting to get familiar with this car so I don't have much advice for ya, other than use these boards every spare chance you get. The people and knowledge here is incredible.

If you find quality help in the area, let me know, I'm in Big Rapids, MI. I'll let you know what I find.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,056 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board. You will find friendly people who are always willing to advise. as for your questions, the pics don't show a lot, the exhaust looks like a dual tip ansa, which is an aftermarket Alfa type exhaust-I have the same. If the noise continued when out of gear, was the car moving? If so, probably the diff, if the car is stopped and the groaning continues its something else.There is a list on the FAQ that lists the local Alfa garages...good luck

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The noise from the rear is all the time? On the gas, off the gas or jusr feathering the throttle and kind of coasting?

Sounds like it might be a bearing. Axle or Diff. I would check the axle bearing first and drain the diff and see what the oil looks like.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the time above 15 - 20 MPH. I'm thinking bearing and guessing Diff because cornering doesn't make much difference, but I thought I heard a change on a nice curve last night. Going in to have the wheel bearings checked, and the diff fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts