Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I sold my GTV last August, I've been without an Alfa, and I've been kicking my own butt for selling it every since, until today.

Today I finalized the purchase of a '72 Giulia Super 1.6 from fellow AlfaBB member Haig. He hadn't listed it forsale yet, I just just happened to hear through the grapevine that he might want to sell it. The car was imported from Italy in 1999 and therefore has a speedometer that reads KPH, the odometer shows kilometers, and the labels for all of the gauges are in Italian, I guess I'll have to tape a little cheat sheet on the dash. It has a 2 litre engine and drive train, and while not quite the same specs as my GTV was, this car seems vary quick. It has Ward & Deane springs and sway bars, Koni shocks. The interior appears to be original and has the common problems of to much sun exposer, and everything appeared to work, except the clock. The body is extremely straight, but it does have some cosmetic issues (ie rust) that you can see if you look closely at the photo's. Here are a few pictures of the exterior, I'll post a couple of interior shots when I get home tonight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Ahhhhh I love that car!

I'm surprised that Haig parted with it. I'm glad it went to you.

So whats on the list of things to make it a Gifford racer? Cams? Suspension? Interior?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Congrats Gifford! Looks great!

If the environment of the pics has any bearings, it looks like you will be TT'ing the Giulia. Yes/No? How about race group? What are the plans for it?

Jes

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simon,

It already has an engine and suspension almost identical to what was in my GTV, just less horsepower. The first thing to do is to replace the floor, maybe add a roll bar and more supportive seats (something from Sparco perhaps). And then later this year, take care of the exterior issues.

Jes,

I plan to do TT only, if I'd have kept the GTV, I would have move into the race group with it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
congrats, great car and great buy. :)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
drooling all over my keyboard. very nice, congrats!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the party!

:cool:
Since I sold my GTV last August, I've been without an Alfa, and I've been kicking my own butt for selling it every since, until today.

Today I finalized the purchase of a '72 Giulia Super 1.6 from fellow AlfaBB member Haig...
Welcome to the Giulia sedan bretherin! The Giulia sedans are a blast, and those that have been "breathed on" can surprise many a "faster" car!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Congrats Gifford !

Hopefully my Super racer will be done by next January. I'll be sticking with a 1600 for now, but it'll be light !!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm soooo freakin' jealous......

Hope you're happy!!

Sweeeet car, enjoy it!!;)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the couple of interior shot I promised, none of the others turned out, they were blurry. I suspect the odometer is 123813K, may even 223813K, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it were only 23813K?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'd love to see you car out at WS for the TT events! When do you think you'll have it done by?

Will you have a passenger seat and harness installed? ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love to see you car out at WS for the TT events! When do you think you'll have it done by?

Will you have a passenger seat and harness installed? ;) ;)
Grant,

The car presently has 4-point belts for both front seats, but the rules require a 5-point setup. I don't think I'll have it ready for the March Willow Springs event, but perhaps I'll be ready for the April event at Buttonwillow.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after waiting for four days to pickup the car after an inspection, fluid change, and tune-up, I had to haul the trailer down to Northridge to get the car, as I could not find anybody to give me a ride this morning, so I could drive it home.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of my first fill-up (Haig only left me .25 of a tank), and my first trip in the car, Oxnard to Ojai and back.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just have to get use to not being able to see around/over other cars like I can in the truck. The car felt good at 120 (~75mph). I guess I'll have to put little bits of tape for 20, 30, 40mph..... to mark the appropriate kph, I wouldn't want to get a ticket now, would I?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Wonderful car !!

Congradulations !!
Have to ask if it has the 5.12 rear end in it. Here's a pic of my 1600 S at speed. Much lower revs.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Gifford,

Looks like you wont be coming home any time soon.....congratulations...on a your fine purchase...i thought you would be the best candidate for the fastest super in the west..next time try giving it some punch...at 85km/h..you are idling...also try the lake cachuma drive via highway 154...up and down to solvang...it almost knows how to get there...did that twice...how about those massive brakes..!!...keep us informed...enjoy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts