Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a 66 Duetto. I am new to the Alfa world. Should I stay away from this and get a newer Alfa or keep looking. I have noticed that several for sale have had the 1600 engine replaced by a 1750. I am not looking for a show car, but something that I can drive and enjoy. Any advice would be appreciated. What price range should I expect?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Duetto for sale.

I know of a beautiful '69 for sale. It's silver and he's asking, I think, between 12-13k

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Vintage,

Welcome to the world of Alfa!. All Alfa Spiders are good. What to buy depends upon your individual desire. A later (square tail) Spider can be had for less money than a round-tail. In the U.S. the round-tail was available in 1600 carburated or 1750 injected versions and these have appreciated more than the later models. The square tail cars retained clean styling through 1974, after which they acquired large heavy bumpers.

Here's a very nice website containing a chronology of Spider variations http://www.alfajournal.com/index.htm

vintage said:
I am thinking about a 66 Duetto. I am new to the Alfa world. Should I stay away from this and get a newer Alfa or keep looking. I have noticed that several for sale have had the 1600 engine replaced by a 1750. I am not looking for a show car, but something that I can drive and enjoy. Any advice would be appreciated. What price range should I expect?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
vintage
Welcome to the AlfaBB!
New to the ALFA world...many people are; tell us about yourself. Was it the sound or the look of an ALFA that attracted you? Do you have a garage or workspace available; are you mechanically inclined? Does the idea of wrenching on your own car appeal to you? Etc, etc...
I'm not actually asking for answers but you're asking a pretty general question.
Understand that there are no signifigant differences between a 66 and 67 Duetto and value is a VERY relative term. I've bought Duetto's for under $500 and passed on others valued at upwards of 20K - but the only thing common between them was their name.

Use the SEARCH feature at the top of the page to get some Duetto experience and post some pictures of Duetto's that interest you. Then you'll get plenty of opinions at this BB.

A

·
0 Posts
the series 1 and 2 Spiders come with induction systems that require specific knowledge, and for the Spica system, special tools. How close are you to a qualified mechanic? The series 3 Spiders are euipped with Bosch injection, much easier to get serviced, and have creature comforts like AC and power windows and Carpet:eek: that aren't found in the lighter series 1 and 2 cars.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Here's another website with very good information and discussion: http://spiderfaq.home.att.net/

vintage said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts