Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I seriously would not be able to maintain my alfa with out the help and guidance of some of the members on this board. So hopefully they will continue to guide and inform us members who do not have the knowledge and expertise in this field.

I intend to place the offending members on my ignore list starting today, and the first to be so honored to be placed there is Martin, wow some post.;)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Martin,
There are fathers who have children that participate in the Special Olympics. There are many parents who have healthy children, yet they are more than sensitive to others and help support the Special Olympics. Your post is insensitive and cruel. Please consider removing it.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I Am Sick of this Bickering Crap!!! / Ill Children

Martin,
There are fathers who have children that participate in the Special Olympics. There are many parents who have healthy children, yet they are more than sensitive to others and help support the Special Olympics. Your post is insensitive and cruel. Please consider removing it.

Best regards,
Martin,

As a personal favor to me and in memory of the man that you have indicated has been your mentor, please rethink what you have posted. Pat and I were not fortunate enough to have our young son survive to participate in much of anything except being a captive in his home and family because exposing him to germs could very well end his life, which in fact, it did. He was loved and cared for until the end and for his short time on this earth brought things to his family that will never be forgotten.

There are several others on the bb that have critically or chronically ill children, including one of Pat's and my daughters currently, and also those that have seen their young children die of conditions that none of us would want to suffer through or with.

I ask that you reconsider your post in light of the fact that this is a public forum and read worldwide.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm glad you guys posted your responses. I was pretty shocked when I saw that and I am well known as being offensive with tasteless jokes but I have never crossed that line.

Paul

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
All,
The poster has not been back to the BB since he wrote the post, but his post has been removed by a moderator. I suggest we move on...

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Does this qualify as a "bickering thread" ?
No, this would be a "WOW DUDE... how much crack do you smoke" thread??"

Or "I hope you wiener falls off so you can't reproduce" thread

Or "It's too bad your Mom dropped you on your head" thread

Or "Paybacks are a beeotch" thread

Or..... Ok you get the drift.

If anyone did drop someone sorry for the comment.

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
"It's too bad your Mom dropped you on your head"

If anyone did drop someone sorry for the comment.

Paul

Man, my head hurts!

Either I was dropped or I drank too much bourbon. Or, I drank too much bourbon then I fell..............and I can't get back up.

The board has seemed to calm down lately, at least as far as I can tell but I don't read every post or section so there could be big flame wars in the Austrailian section and I wouldn't even know about it. Nothing against our Aussie friends, I just have no business in that section! Ahhhhh, forget it. Where did I put that Four Roses Single Barrel anyway???:cool:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I just have no business in that section!
man you're missing out! ;);)
Seriously, I was the same, but I started using the "new posts" link, and therefor get posts from all sections....the Aussies have some really good threads (not that I expected differently) .....that in some cases would be better off in the general sections so they would get more traffic, but that's a different discussion:)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I share John's concerns: we are loosing participation. If the status quo is maintained, regardless of how many chose to use the ignore function or simply "take the high road", the trend will continue and we, as an on-line forum, will loose...

Best regards,
On the other hand, one could believe valuable participation is lost when either party in a simple, healthy and easily understood difference of opinion decides they don't want to bicker. When someone in a off topic thread regularly brands the opinions or people they disagree with as "intolerant", "bickering", "illogical", "immature", "an embarassment" etc, it doesn't mean either party is on a higher road than the other. Kids will be kids, but if someone is sick, there is a readily available cure alright. Lots of vague name calling in this post doesn't help anything, but maybe it would be good to remove any off topic areas and police others!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
On the other hand, one could believe valuable participation is lost when either party in a simple, healthy and easily understood difference of opinion decides they don't want to bicker. When someone in a off topic thread regularly brands the opinions or people they disagree with as "intolerant", "bickering", "illogical", "immature", "an embarassment" etc, it doesn't mean either party is on a higher road than the other. Kids will be kids, but if someone is sick, there is a readily available cure alright. Lots of vague name calling in this post doesn't help anything, but maybe it would be good to remove any off topic areas and police others!
Well the BB has settled down a bit. Which was my intent and hope when I started this thread.

RC, I think you are mis-reading my concerns. I am in no way referring to people on opposite sides of a technical discussion counter pointing each other. No doubt that this type of discussion is healthy, useful to learn from, and worthy of reading. This is not what I was referencing. Nor was I referencing joking around or fun banter. So I wasn't advocating banning Lowmileage!:D

My focus was intentionally left nameless. The way I meant to leave it was if the shoe fits....it applies to you. I didn't want to call people out by name as I hoped they would turn a new leaf and put down the pitch forks. It was just food for thought directed to a few individuals that had decided to devote their time on the BB to being "pot stirers". Simply put, their time on this BB was almost entirely devoted towards raising hell with other members whether done by name calling, constant smart *** posts, etc. Nothing constructive whatsoever. It was personal, defamming posts that were meant to be nothing but hurtful.

What was most disappointing was that some of this was being generated by members who at one time were very resourceful. I suppose that is the saddest part of it all. These members who start out very well, are a good resource, then they turn sour and go off the deep end. And the rest of us are left scratching our heads wondering...what the heck is up with _____________.

I tend to believe that any BB is worthless without the contribution of its knowledgeable members. I think Simon would agree. If we cannot talk Alfas in a respectable manner, then this board will degenerate towards a 'myspace big boobs and raise hell' forum. George Willet's earlier quote about those lacking power and grasping for control seems to suggest that I am out for something? I am out to fight off the complatency to this nonsense. His words would be more appropriate if it were about some people and their lack of self control. The mayhem may be fine with some. Some people enjoy the mayhem and ignorance pouring out of a select few who cannot act their age. But speaking for myself, I will push back when I see people crossing the line of appropriate behavior.

No one wants a policed forum. And its sad that this idea is even floated. I think people should simply act their age, and treat eachother with the respect they would if they were meeting face to face. And for those who cannot do this, then leave. The BB cannot support people who won't even try to support the BB with just behaving.

Anyway...I hope this clarifies my thoughts on this. I know many of you agree. And I hope that those who may not agree totally, will accomodate the rest of us with your good behavior!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
John M.........I got some Sprint Speciale parts fer ya. E-Mail Me!!!!

86Spider (at) gmail (dot) com!!!!!;)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
RC, I think you are mis-reading my concerns. . . .
I don't think so. I share some of your concerns, if not the manner presented, so let me clarify mine, in case you missed the point. Let me preface by saying I very much respect and welcome most of your posts, I simply don't always agree with all of them, like this one.

My focus was intentionally left nameless. . . . I didn't want to call people out by name . . .
It was just food for thought directed to a few individuals .."pot stirers". . .
. . . some people and their lack of self control.
. . .a select few who cannot act their age
This is my concern and where I have a problem with this thread. So you're saying its okay to throw out vague general indictments, resplendent with much name calling and everyone can wonder if you are talking about them or someone they know. And this is helpful to the general atmosphere in what way? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle a right wing conservative to me.

But speaking for myself, I will push back when I see people crossing the line of appropriate behavior. . . . No one wants a policed forum.
Huh? Is the line between policing and pushing based on being on high ground from the perspective of one party, or is it a mutual admiration society stance? I wondered why one gets attaboys for verbally slapping someone, nameless or otherwise, who makes a mistake. Got Ya!

Anyway...I hope this clarifies my thoughts on this. I know many of you agree. And I hope that those who may not agree totally, will accomodate the rest of us with your good behavior!:D
I think I might understand now, and will certainly try to comply just in case you, or one of those others who have agreed, feel pushy. Frankly I was put off by this approach.

Respectfully
Richard

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I don't think so. I share some of your concerns, if not the manner presented, so let me clarify mine, in case you missed the point. Let me preface by saying I very much respect and welcome most of your posts, I simply don't always agree with all of them, like this one.

This is my concern and where I have a problem with this thread. So you're saying its okay to throw out vague general indictments, resplendent with much name calling and everyone can wonder if you are talking about them or someone they know. And this is helpful to the general atmosphere in what way? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle a right wing conservative to me.
Richard,
My original post was not very vague at all really. It didn't quite take a PhD to put two and two together. The examples I pointed out were specific. If you want, PM me and I'll tell you exactly what I was referring to. I didn't name call anyone. But your post sounds like you thought I was referring to you. Not really for sure, but if this is the case, then point well taken. I was not in any way referring to you. Again, my reasoning as to being vague was not to indict people publically. I didn't want to call people out by name. I assumed they would know who they were. And it was meant to be helpful to let those people who were repeatedly trying to create arguments, trying to be personally hurtful, to simply quit. Not to mention that the BB is really only worth the value of its participants. When the level of stupidity on the board rises, I tend to believe that the direct effect of this is to drive away some of the long time contributing members. And I am not referring to the drama queens that say I am leaving if I don't get my way. The members who leave are the ones whose posts you'll pull up when you are searching for that technical answer. And ask yourself why haven't they posted lately. Why did they quit posting, or now hardly posting at all. Search those people out and ask them for yourself.

Right wing conservative? Not sure if this is an accusation or not. But let me put this to bed. I am not a right wing conservative. Nor am I a left wing liberal. I run the middle of the road. I am a life long democrat. And I don't like W one bit. So if you are looking to "right off" my point of view, you have incorrectly done so. I am not on that side of the aisle, nor do I have any desire to be.

Huh? Is the line between policing and pushing based on being on high ground from the perspective of one party, or is it a mutual admiration society stance? I wondered why one gets attaboys for verbally slapping someone, nameless or otherwise, who makes a mistake. Got Ya!

I think I might understand now, and will certainly try to comply just in case you, or one of those others who have agreed, feel pushy. Frankly I was put off by this approach.

Respectfully
Richard
Policing to me is formal. Pushing back to me is a protest. I am packing my sign that says enough of this nonsense. I am not looking to seek higher ground or admiration.....just peace and harmony among the Alfisti. I didn't verbally slap anyone in the face. And no one is giving me attaboys for doing so. Lets remember what I wrote:

I go to Alfa gatherings locally and away. I have never witnessed anyone treat another person at one of these gatherings with such disrespect and mean spiritedness. With that in mind....I don't understand the disconnect in some people's brains that leads them to believe it is OK to treat others like crap here. How about you treat people as if you were standing in front of them, face to face, with respect and maturity.

If you cannot treat others with respect within this forum, if you cannot avoid spending your time bad mouthing others, if you cannot act as an adult, THEN LEAVE! If you won't behave and won't leave, then Simon lets have some BANNING! If you can behave...then stay.

Quite frankly....enough already!!!!!!! To those who this applies to....QUIT ACTING LIKE IDIOTS AND MAKING FOOLS OF YOURSELVES! Make it your New Years resolution!

I stand by those statements. I think its nothing more than common courtesy. I would expect this of anyone I met on the street. I don't understand why you feel that this is being too "pushy". And I don't really see how you can make an argument...or would even want to make an argument that its fine to treat people without this simple respect. You know, rather than end your post with a sarcastic remark, perhaps it would be better to tell me how you would have prefered me to get my points across. I am open minded and will adjust upon request. Again, my intent was never to get under your skin, and I apologize for doing so. My intent was just to get the people who were creating havoc to quit.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I Am Sick of this Bickering Crap!!!!

Richard,
...Not to mention that the BB is really only worth the value of its participants. When the level of stupidity on the board rises, I tend to believe that the direct effect of this is to drive away some of the long time contributing members. And I am not referring to the drama queens that say I am leaving if I don't get my way. The members who leave are the ones whose posts you'll pull up when you are searching for that technical answer. And ask yourself why haven't they posted lately. Why did they quit posting, or now hardly posting at all. Search those people out and ask them for yourself...
John's statement is applicable to other portions of the Alfa community also, including, Alfa Owner, national club participation, and local chapter participation.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
. . . And it was meant to be helpful to let those people who were repeatedly trying to create arguments, trying to be personally hurtful, to simply quit.
. . .
Pushing back to me is a protest. . .I stand by those statements.
Pushing is pushing, by one or a small group who think they rule the playground, and it is not helpful. You obviously insist on that very behavior that you rail against, and I've said more than I need to on that subject, and do quit.

Try to get along with others today John. I'm out of this negative thread.

Richard

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Pushing is pushing, by one or a small group who think they rule the playground, and it is not helpful. You obviously insist on that very behavior that you rail against, and I've said more than I need to on that subject, and do quit.

Try to get along with others today John. I'm out of this negative thread.

Richard
Richard,

You have taken me from verbally slapping people, to being a high ground mutual admiration and attaboys searching elitist on a power trip with my playground posse, then a police state, to a right wing conservative kettle. Then you go Got Ya! Well you 'got me' alright.:rolleyes:

You are coming at me from way out in left/right field / outer space. To state I insist upon a behavior I rail against makes no sense. I didn't call anyone names. I don't follow people around the board to just post crap after any post they make. I don't say so and so is a piece of lying ****. This is the behavior I rail against. And I do agree that you have said more than you need to as you seem to be more adament in trying to find an argument with me on this rather than discuss the topic. There certainly are rules on this and every playground. And I didn't write them. Society does. This particular playground is Simon's playground. There is no small group that thinks they rule the playground....give me a break. Simon rules the playground. But there are people who get their feeling of power from just being argumentative even when they know they are wrong. I get along with others extremely well. And the reason I do, is because I try to listen and respect others opinions. You never know what you might find when you do so. You might even learn a little. Hence, this is why I asked you tell me how you would approach the situation. You did say you didn't like my approach. Well then how would you have addressed the issue? What would you have done differently? Obviously...your displeasure with my post was never about the issue this thread was started. It was just about wanting to argue about how I posted the issue. Rather than discussing your complaint, you seem hell bent on mischaracterizing my post and casting stones at me rather than offering anything constructive.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Man ohhh man, JohnM starts a thread to try to stop all bickering and now the thread has turned into another bickering thread. I think this proves his point!:D

BTW RC JohnM is about the nicest person one could ever know and has been so helpful to so many.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts