Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a machine shop in the Seattle area that I have worked with for about 10 years now. After a lot of experimenting, he and I tried several ways to get the liners bored, including making torque plates to hold the liners in place. He has evolved a way to hold the liners in place in a used block, and then he hones them using diamond hones, and hot oil, on a large honing machine. The rings seat right away, (if properly installed), and no blow-by later on.

He has also ground quite a few cranks for me, and I've never had any trouble with them, putting to rest the story that one can't regrind an Alfa crank and have it live. My current project engine is a 1600cc with a .020/.030" undersize crank, and I'm turning 75/8000 rpm with it.

Anyway he does all aspects of precision high performance machine shop services at regular prices, and Jim is a great guy.

So if you are looking for someone to bore liners, fix that crank, rebuild rods, etc, give him a call.

ABCO MACHINE, Jim Harter, 21502 Meridian Dr SE, Bothell, WA 98021. 425-483-3678 or 425-483-3997. Or call me w/questions: 360-293-5475, George

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
Does he have experience boring out V6 blocks to accept bigger liners?

That is something there is quite a bit of interest in these days, and I'd love to be able to recommend someone for it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V6 larger liners??

Joe, I'll check next week and get back to you.

Pass on happy holidays to the CLCrew from me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the reference George. I just moved to Seattle and I'm planning to tear down my 74 2.0l this January. I was hoping to find someone experienced machining Alfa blocks.

Got any leads on someone in Seattle that can work on my 2.0l head?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wanted v6 block

I have recieved some interest in Joe Cabs post about machining a V6 block for the larger liner kit. Jim, the machinist, will work out a way to do this for us Alfa guys, if I help him.

So far so good!

What we need is for someone to donate a block for us, so we can make up a fixture for the boring bar or honing machine.

Can someone help?

email [email protected], or call me 360-391-1620.

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
Guys:
You should talk to John V...Jungle Justice. He's doing a series of 3+ liter 16V motors in conjunction with the S. African "Autodelta". They use a massive sleeve from a diesel truck and take it out to 100mm. He was our guest speaker at the November? meeting, has TONS of pics and information!
Also, to Nonuniform, Welcome! There is a very competent Alfa head machinist in the Seattle area-Steve Hanniford-does a great job. George...who do you use up there, or do you do your own?
Best,
Pat

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Pat

Steve does all my racing head work, (I like to do my own assembly), but Jim at ABCO does the remainder. Steve is generally 2 to 4 months behind because of the time it takes to properly do the racing head work, and he has lots of work on other makes as well.

George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts