Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a new member of the forum, I live in New Mexico, and I am new to Alfa's. I have lusted after them for some time however...and I was able to pick up an '86 spider last week. I understand we like photos here so here we go!

I have known about this Alfa for a few years now though I really only ever saw the bumper peaking out from under a tarp. Was never sure of model or year. The guy has a large number of cars in his yard. I could tell by the shape of one of the other covers that he had a Zimmer Quicksilver under it. When I saw the gentleman one afternoon I broke the ice by correctly guessing about the Zimmer then told him I had been eyeing that Alfa for years. He told me it belonged to a friend of his but it was being sold, he mentioned a price that peaked my interest and I told him I would be in touch. I came by the follwing week to take a closer look.

Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire Car

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood

The top is completely gone but it supposedly ran a year ago. There were no obvious rust issues and it seemed like the tarps did pretty good at keeping water out, though there was evidence of cats a plenty!

We struck a deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A week later I had less cash but gained a signed title! The seller said he would help me get it to my place just a block or so down the road.

First time out of the yard in I dont know how long.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car

Got it home and the inpection began.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

One of the first things I do when I get a new-to-me old vehicle is to give it a wash. It allows me to get a good close look at it. In preparation for that I took the wheels off.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Tire

I gave it a wash, pulled some weeds, spruced up the wheels, then popped the hood and boot to continue inspections!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Before I got to inspecting the car further I decided that I needed an easy win that made the car feel more "mine". The XM Radio HAD TO GO!

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Mostly the way it was mounted irked me so...

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door

Once that was done I noticed the glove box looked off and filed that in my mind for later.

Hood Grille Vehicle Watch Automotive tire

It was while removing the XM Radio that I made my next decision, the rollbar was coming out now as well!

It wasn't very pretty (pic from before wash)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle

It was damaging the interior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Steering wheel

and I am 6'2" so my head was sitting above it, and my legs could use a little more room as well!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Gas

11 nuts and washers later it was out....tell me what this package shelf area is supposed to look like, I know the strapping is not stock. Also the shelf itself is suspect;

Wood World Flooring Art Brick

Anyway onto the trunk!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was excited to go through the trunk and see what it could tell me about what the previous owner was doing with the car.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic device Motor vehicle Electronic component

Automotive tire Headgear Denim T-shirt Electric blue

Hmmm, electrical work and clean rags/wax applicator. OK some leisure time as well as electrical gremlins? Though I did note at the time that the fuses were the wrong form factor.

Decided to take the battery out to try and give it a charge and inspect the deeper parts of the area.

Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel

OK! a used hose, some new hoses, and some tools and bits. The spare tire area is super clean as well and spare is present, though no photos. Trunk area looks good overall

Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Package shelf is definitely not original. You have a lot of work ahead but if it is not rusty, you can handle the rest with help from the forum.

Reactions: Ecj and Alfajay

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
Decided to take the battery out to try and give it a charge and inspect the deeper parts of the area.
How long has this car been off the road? My guess is that this interval is measured in years, not weeks. Most likely, the battery won't be salvageable.

Getting the car to run should be your first priority. The radio, glove box door, roll bar, ..... can all wait until after you know you have an operable car. But I agree that the roll bar should come out eventually - all that little bar will do is give you a concussion when you get hit from behind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Check out this gem that I found in the glove box!

Handwriting Sleeve Font Material property Pattern

So according to this, someone changed the water pump in 2015ish and while reinstalling the water pump put the fan on backwards? When they started the car for the first time after the water pump they heard knocking and shut it down. They took it to this shop and this is the work they did. This is dated 2016, but what you dont see in this photo is the mileage on the car at this time of the work is 107717. The mileage on the car now is 108040, so they put a few hundred miles on after the work before parking it.

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
someone changed the water pump in 2015ish and while reinstalling the water pump put the fan on backwards?
I don't think there's much question who "someone" was. Judging from the picture below, I'd say that the PO was a bit "casual" with his quality standards:

• Haha
Reactions: Ecj

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
696 Posts
I hope the sills are OK. There looks to be some serious plant growth behind those wheels.

A good wash and vac will make a world of difference, if you can steam / hose off the underside, that will help, too.

Figure all-new fuel and brake system rubber for starters.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long has this car been off the road? My guess is that this interval is measured in years, not weeks. Most likely, the battery won't be salvageable.

Getting the car to run should be your first priority. The radio, glove box door, roll bar, ..... can all wait until after you know you have an operable car. But I agree that the roll bar should come out eventually - all that little bar will do is give you a concussion when you get hit from behind.
The tag expired 2018, so anywhere between when the work was done and that year I expect. I am treating it like it has been off the road for 5 years.

I didnt have hope for the battery and it was dead. I will be working towards getting the car started as this week goes on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think there's much question who "someone" was. Judging from the picture below, I'd say that the PO was a bit "casual" with his quality standards:

The title for the car was issued in May of 2016 and the work done to it by the previous owner was done in April. My understanding was he bought it in Texas...I am wondering if he got a deal because the PREVIOUS previous owner was the "someone" and he took it to a shop as soon as he bought it....not sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The engine bay inspection brought up the following issues.

Broken fan

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Broken oil cap

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Gas Auto part

Empty clutch reservoir and damage from the leak

Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas

Headers!

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Let me know if you notice anything else

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wood

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The interior looks pretty good though.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Steering wheel

That pic was before the wash.

That is where I am with it. I removed the spark plugs and put a little oil in the cylinders, turned the motor over by hand to get things lubricated.

Perhaps tomorrow I will get a fresh battery in it and crank the motor a bit to get some oil pressure up and check spark, try to start it if there are no major red flags.

I will let you know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Prolly needs a new air filter . . . . . .

David OD
Laguna CA
😆

Actually it looks really good! but yes. Living in the desert southwest replacing all the rubber bits is a safe bet. The sills look really good, the worst bit of rust I could find is in the driver front wheel well.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Composite material

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
What is this broken thing called?
Sorry, but the picture didn't come through for some odd reason

the worst bit of rust I could find is in the driver front wheel well
I didn't see any serious rust in that picture.

David O'D said:
Prolly needs a new air filter . . . . . .
...and oil filter and fuel filter and fan belt and .....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
#1, drain the fuel tank! Do not pump that old nasty, up through the injectors. Me, I would pull the fuel tank and open it, flush it, inspect the in-tank pump and filter sock, replace the in-tank step hose and all the external fuel hoses (8mm and 12 mm ID), and the main fuel filter. Then confirm the operation of both fuel pumps. 100k miles and no service records, I would remove the valve cover and service the valve lash and timing chain tension. Suction the oil from the cam journals and refill with Valvoline VR1 20W-50 and a new filter. Drain coolant and refill with water. Once engine starts, repeat until water runs clear. Then refill with proper dilution of antifreeze. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts