Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello. I have a 1971 Spider that I am interested in selling. Body in good shape, ran when parked about 6 years ago (I have video), dual weber carburetors (Spica parts included), spare heads and blocks and a bunch of miscellaneous parts. If you are interested I can email you some more photos.

Best,

Adrian

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in Amherst, MA, about 3 1/2 hrs from NYC. If you are interested I can send you some additional photos, I don't think I can send the video of it running on this forum, if you want that we can use other emails as needed. Let me know what interests you.

Best,

Adrian

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Are you sure this is a 71 model? Doesn't seem to me judging by the rear bumper shocks, body mounted licence plate lights, door panels, dark rim steering wheel, and turbinas. Whats the VIN #.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Anthony,

I believe the previous owner had swapped out the front and rear bumper to achieve a certain 'look'. Here is the VIN...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hi Adrian,

1971 models have the nicest bumpers of the series II range. I highly doubt now this this is a 71. More like a mid- 70's 2 Litre.
Wow. I see a few things wrong here.
That data plate is what you would find in the engine compartment, just to the right of the hood latch. It usually shows the Tipo number (Series Number). It must have been moved and re-vitted here?
The usual data plate mounted to this area of the door jamb is white plastic with four tiny revit's in each corner.
Second, that stamping is not original and the VIN. number after the series prefix has 7 digits.
Something smells like fish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Anthony,

I bought the car in 2009 from Anthony Rondeau, it was last registered by him in Connecticut, he did a plate return in May 2009, I bought the car in June 2009, but never registered it here in MA (its a pain in the *** and I was going through a divorce).

If you have any insight I would welcome it, if someone wants it as a parts car so be it.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The VIN should be stamped on the firewall just to the left of the hood release (looking towards the back of the car).

·
Registered
1979 Alfa Romeo Spider
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for so much insight, for someone like me new to these cars this information is so valuable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Folks, Thanks for everyone's help in solving this mystery. I found the VIN stamped on the firewall - it had had a 'security' sticker placed on top. I will check the VIN sites to see what it is. I hope this Anthony fella didn't sell me something fishy... Let me know what people think.

BTW, the engine is a replacement 2.0, the original had thrown a rod...

Best,

Adrian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is some more info from a post from 2009, someone else trying to decode their alfa vin...

Looks like the VIN says what I have is a 1971, and started out with a 1750 litre, as the VIN is AR 1486129, and the chassis started, according to the below, in 1970 as 1485001.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What VIN is on the tab of the windshield frame on the drivers side?
Looks as thought the VIN from another Alfa was grafted into the firewall, where the original VIN was. I hope not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I never knew there was a number on the windshield A-pillar... but I found it. See below. Looks factory, but is missing one digit in the middle (6), not sure if this is how they did things, or if the number stamp guy just came back from lunch (and had one glass of red wine too many...). The stamped VIN on Firewall is AR 1486129, so it matches, except for the middle digit 6.

If anyone has any insight on this I welcome it!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Adrian, sorry to inform you but this is not the factory Alfa original VIN stamping.
Looks like they grafting the firewall VIN and the VIN stamp on this tab to match, but still got it wrong with the missing digit! Either the car was stolen at some point of its life or an ownership was lost at some point.

The data plate 11502 revitted below the VIN indicats this is a 2L production Spider. This is not a 1750 Spider in my opinion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for that windshield VIN reference, now it seems obvious that the one on mine was reproduced (poorly)...

Anyone in the market for a good parts car? $2,000 or so? lots of good parts!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts