Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ugh.

Any place that serves steaks, pizzas, pasta, and souvlaki will not be good at making any of them. Also, your server will tell you her name - so you can instantly forget it - and the music will be pop hits from 70's and 80's. And there will be televisions. Many of them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is exactly my type of restaurant. A plate full of food that will not force me to make a sandwich when I get home (decent portions), waiters/waitresses wearing comfortable clothes (not those in fashion 100 years ago), a menu I can understand (where lettuce is called lettuce and not some space vehicle), a tablecloth I don't feel guilty about spilling on, a place where I can order a beer with my steak (and not get condescending looks from the people at the next table), a place I can take my wife AND children, with plenty of parking (by the looks of the space out front) and a really cool name.

Yup this is exactly my kind of restaurant.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've eaten at enough top restaurants to learn to know what I really like i.e. judge the place once tried.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That is exactly my type of restaurant. A plate full of food that will not force me to make a sandwich when I get home (decent portions), waiters/waitresses wearing comfortable clothes (not those in fashion 100 years ago), a menu I can understand (where lettuce is called lettuce and not some space vehicle), a tablecloth I don't feel guilty about spilling on, a place where I can order a beer with my steak (and not get condescending looks from the people at the next table), a place I can take my wife AND children, with plenty of parking (by the looks of the space out front) and a really cool name.

Yup this is exactly my kind of restaurant.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've eaten at enough top restaurants to learn to know what I really like i.e. judge the place once tried.
Oh, Darren. Portion sizes in a typical American restaurant are simply enormous. Quantity over quality. How do you think we got so fat?

And our servers are all in comfortable, casual clothing, unless we are talking very expensive and snooty, but usually even then. Parking is everywhere (America!), unless you are near downtown in the sort of city you don't need ample parking in.

And no one cares if you order beer with your steak here, especially since we've been making the world's best beer for ten or fifteen years now.

Tablecloths are made for spilling on, though most places don't have them here, unless very expensive. Or really crappy places that have vinyl coated ones.

My point is: most good restaurants make one type of food well. Those that cook things as diverse as steak, pizza, pasta, and souvlaki are just places to carb up. They can't do them all well, and they don't really try to. Good food comes from places that specialize. Kind of like car companies. Alfa didn't make pickup trucks, or vans, or wagons, or luxury sedans (oops - but how many did they sell?). They made sports cars, and well.

But my restaurant experience has been colored by living in one of the best foodie towns in the US for the past 18 years, so my Portland honed food observations will not be applicable in Kansas.

Also, 90% of everything I know about South Africa I learned from District 9 and Die Antwoord.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jay, where did you get that beer from? Do tell please.
Steve is lucky to live in Portland where from what I hear has an amazing food scene. From fine to casual to food trucks. Vancouver is slowly getting there, with casual and food trucks on the rise. Some of the best food now comes via a truck,when I say best I am referring to the taste and quality of ingredients. I looked up this ALFA restaurant on urbanspoon and found out it's been around for 30 years. Looks like a visit is on the horizon in the near future. Cheers Neil.

·
Super Moderator
10,788 Posts
Hey Jay, where did you get that beer from?
Trader Joes used to routinely carry it - several years ago, it was my "go to" beer. But for the last 5 or so years it has disappeared from their shelves.

Posting that picture reminded me that I should look for it again. I did a search at the BevMo and Total Wines websites but found nothing. Typing "Alfa beer netherlands" into Google will get you a bunch of hits, but little on where to find it locally. Too bad - irrespective of its name, I thought it was a pretty good beer.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
"But my restaurant experience has been colored by living in one of the best foodie towns in the US for the past 18 years, so my Portland honed food observations will not be applicable in Kansas." I lived in Kansas for 5 years and many of the restaurants there were MUCH better than what I encountered in Seattle. Unfortunately much of the old mom and pop restaurants are being replaced with McFood clones. Well at least you aren't here near Albuquerque where the food selection is "red or green?" I'm spoiled by food from New England where I grew up and visit frequently. Albuquerque ranks at the bottom of the barrel for food.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya Steve, go to urbanspoon Vancouver Canada type in Alfa and it's all there. Menu directions ect... It's in a place called Tsawwassen local Indian name, close to the USA border. Sometimes when you place a cell phone call near second Ave you get charged a roaming fee from the USA phone carrier. When you call up your provider they always waive it when you mention Tsawwassen. Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks, Alfa Tiger. Looked it up and now I have a reason to visit Vancouver, BC. Also, have joined the Alfa Romeo Wine producer newsletter which looks like a good Italian wine. Will follow on these and advise. I think I need to plan a trip to Italy! Hopefully, Someday!

Steve

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya Steve Italy would be a blast, imagine the food would be excellent. That Alfa wine newsletter deal, is it like a wine of the month thing? I am not a wine drinker persay but do like an occasional glass with special meals. I will Google the Alfa wine and see what comes up. Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am not a wine drinker either, but the bottle being the shape of an Alfa grill is a must! Grew up in and around the original valley and never really liked the stuff. But who is to say, being Alfa dedicated!!!

When I find out more, I will post here.

Followed Alfa Tiger instructions on the Alfa Restaurant location and found it. Rated good and being middle to slightly higher in pricing. Will be going to Vancouver in the Alfa in the near future.

Thanks for the information.

Steve

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Susan, only real car people understand. To others cars are just metal, glass and some rubber bits put together. To me they are special, like my Alfa, just love the whole car culture and scene. Cheers Neil

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a quick question for legomedic, Darren our friend from Cape Town. Darren I noticed your avitar photo, is your car and 81? If so did it come with stainless bumpers? Cheers Neil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts