Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any experience with why I can't get the turn signals and Hazard lights to blink at a normal rate??? they blink so fast that they look steady. I have attempted to change out the old Bosch turn signal relay, but keep blowing fuses and or flasher units.. it's getting a little expensive at this point. it sounds like a short but I can't find it with my voltmeter.

thanks

jemm6242000

·
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
it sounds like a short but I can't find it with my voltmeter.
It does sound like a short. A turn signal flasher is sensitive to current - the more current it has to carry, the faster it flashes.

Most likely, the short is at one of the four exterior bulbs. I'd start by disassembling each turn signal socket, and inspecting for anything that looks amiss. If all looks OK, disconnect them one at a time, and see how the turn signals behave.

Good luck! This sort of problem can be a pain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the response, and yes that's what I thought as well so it throws me off that all the bulbs are doing this fast blink, I have inspected all the sockets and the bulbs, so I guess I may have to back trace the wiring next.

thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there's a new thought, I hadn't looked at the VR /Alt because I replaced the generator with a new GM internal VR alternator last fall. I'll check into that thank you for the idea and reply

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I have a few things to check into, I will replace all the bulbs, check the voltage output from the new alternator and try again. thank you all for the input and advice.

Jemm6242000

·
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
there's a new thought, I hadn't looked at the VR /Alt because I replaced the generator with a new GM internal VR alternator last fall. I'll check into that thank you for the idea and reply
Go ahead and check the alternator output voltage - it's an easy thing to verify. But I strongly doubt that is your problem. #1 internally-regulated alternators tend to be pretty reliable. #2 if your alternator was putting out that high a voltage, you would have other symptoms: electronic devices (radio, electronic ignition) failing, bulbs blowing, battery overheating, etc. #3 if the new alternator was bad, the odd turn signal behavior would have begun as soon as it was installed - did it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alfajay;
no the turn signals were fine after I installed the internal regulated alternator, they started to act up when I was getting the car ready to drive this spring, that's why I thought the Bosch flasher relay had gone bad. so I'm still not done checking everything again. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts