Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Anyone on the East Coast have any interesting Alfa stories related to the weather over the weekend? Hopefully all emerged unscathed...

John

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Drove home to Vermont last night from Providence R.I. with my GTV-6. Glad I lowered it. Would of been blown all over the place, pretty Windy. No cars at all on the road. 4 Hours. 75 through Boston.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Big tree came down 20 feet from my daily driver 164S, would have bummed me out if it got hit, don't have "Act of God' coverage.
We probably won't have power for the rest of the week, which is a drag as I was going to paint the Montreal this week,,,

·
Registered
'91 164S, '17 Giulia Ti Sport, '79 Sport Sedan (previously many GTV6, AlfettaGT, 164s, and Spiders.
476 Posts
Hey HMA... I'm glad the tree missed the 164S. Good luck on getting all back on track.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hurricane Irene aftermath

Where I live in Vermont, hurricane was a non-event. I did not even have to close my house windows when it was gently raining, little or no wind gusts. But 100 miles in every direction there was big time damage, luck of the draw I guess.

I know we have a lot of BB contributors in CT, MA, NJ, MD, and NC where there are so many reports of flood and wind problems, wondering how they fared, although many of them may still have no electricity?

John

·
Registered
448 Posts
It was pretty much a non-event here in Barre too.

Lots of rain, but very little wind and we never lost power.
The biggest problem we had was the cable tv was screwed up for 2 days.

Having said that, there was an awful lot of damage in other areas.
My heart goes out to all the people who have suffered.

There was a heart breaking photo on the front page of the Times Argus newspaper this morning of an Austin Healy sitting in a pile of debris.
Not an Alfa, but it still made me think how lucky we were.

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
I am waiting to hear from Frank, Bob, John and others in CT, MA and NC.

Matteo checked in fine from NC but 4 of his neighbors lost their houses. He lost his S last during last September's storm but said the S I sold him this year did not get hurt this time.

I parked my 164 fleet in city parking garage on Friday and my daughter helped me retrieve them Sunday afternoon after we got back from Front Royal, VA.

Hope all is well with rest of you all.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If there was a nice ALFA sitting on a covered bridge when it washed out... that would be a double tragedy. We lost 3 or 4 historic bridges, plus many more were temporarily compromised. We had assumed the mountains would tame the storm before it did much damage. But it turned out to be the (upto) 9" of rain over 18 hours, and not the wind velocity. Since we have the mountain elevation that the other eastern states did not... brooks become streams, streams become rivers, and the velocity of waters from higher elevations got the job done with the increased quantity and speed be the time they reached the valley floors. So, the mountains worked against us, in this instance.

I was driving back from the NorthEast Kingdom on midday Sunday, and saw swollen rivers boiling. No washouts on my route luckily. But then again, I took special pains to make an arched route toward the northwest to avoid the worst of it. My GTV6 got a few inches of rain water in the P-side floor pan. No more than that.

Still a dozen towns cut off from civilization. 4 or 5 deaths in VT alone. 260 roads with sections missing. It will be months before all the bridges and roads have been addressed. FEMA and local agencies will be busy little rascals for awhile. Glad Barre was spared this time. They got a pretty good hit last Spring.

I got a quick e-mail from our friend Ennio in Peru, today. He was checking in to see if we were OK here. Apparently, our mess made the news even in South America.

First the Wind Farms our Governor is promoting to destroy our mountain ridges, and now Mother Nature has to add its two cents. Won't be much to save at this rate.

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
You still have Ben and Jerry's Ice Creama and Green Mountain coffee and K-cups don't ya? Count your blessings.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
+1.... and Vermont Teddy Bears!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
What a State!! Our biggest industries are ice cream, coffee and teddy bears. What a stable economy we have up here. Don't forget our famous Maple Syrup. Our infrastructure has been neglected for decades, and it's finally come back to bite Vermont!! Many of these towns over the years could of gotten new Bridges and road upgrades, but opted to keep these old structures cause they're old and pristine. Now there are paying the price and it'll be a very long time to repair.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
What a State!! Our biggest industries are ice cream, coffee and teddy bears. What a stable economy we have up here. Don't forget our famous Maple Syrup. Our infrastructure has been neglected for decades, and it's finally come back to bite Vermont!! Many of these towns over the years could of gotten new Bridges and road upgrades, but opted to keep these old structures cause they're old and pristine. Now there are paying the price and it'll be a very long time to repair.
Ayeh. But the Feds will kick in "Disaster $$" so "we" pay instead of just "you"!!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Given the sporadic phone service after the hurricane (we had no service for 3 days), I just now got to speak with the bodyshop since before the hurricane. It seems some enterprising individual thought it would be a good idea to close the flood gates downstream of the bodyshop, which is located right on the river. So of course, the water could not flow upstream of the flood gates. The water level in the shop reached 4 feet. Extensive damage to many vehicles and equipment. Luckily, the 71 GTV was on a lift and stayed dry but the 68 GTV was completely submerged. I'm told that the 71s engine was lifted out of harms way but do not know the status of any of the other hard parts which were being stored at ground level. Will make the trip down there tomorrow to assess the damage.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ayeh. But the Feds will kick in "Disaster $$" so "we" pay instead of just "you"!!
Thank you, other 49 states, for helping rebuild those covered bridges. We'll make fotos available of the new structures when they are completed. Hopefully we'll recover all the ones we lost in the storm.

You can add Hemming's Motor News and their classic auto mags to: Ben & Jerry's, maple syrup, VT Teddy Bears, IBM chips, Simon Pearce Glass, Green Mountain Coffee, K-Cups, etc.

And since this forum focuses on automobiles... I'll include the fact that one Vermontster invented the electric starter, interchangable parts on cars, precision machining of auto components... plus he created Cadillac AND Lincoln automobiles. A different Vermont boy(s) invented the electric motor. And a third had conceived and built a very crude basis for the carburator (basically a shallow pan with a maze of baffles, using a pool of kerosene resting on the pan floor, and sucking the evaporating vapors off the top)... but still decades ahead of it's time. His work on an a liquid-fueled engine may have been the very first internal-combustion engine. I'm discounting the fact that a Dutchman (in the 1600's) had played with a design for an internal-combustion engine, on paper... but his was fueled by gun powder!!

What would cars be like today, without those bare-foot mountain boy visionaries??

Add all those together, and we still consider our mountains our most prized possession. Ayuh, Boi the Jeezus, and boi dangus Mistah Bubby.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VT contributions

And let us not forget that famous VT saying,

"You can't get there from here"

Now more true than ever before.

Best wishes to those of you down South just now getting to assess damage from flood waters...

John

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh no not again!!

Given the sporadic phone service after the hurricane (we had no service for 3 days), I just now got to speak with the bodyshop since before the hurricane. It seems some enterprising individual thought it would be a good idea to close the flood gates downstream of the bodyshop, which is located right on the river. So of course, the water could not flow upstream of the flood gates. The water level in the shop reached 4 feet. Extensive damage to many vehicles and equipment. Luckily, the 71 GTV was on a lift and stayed dry but the 68 GTV was completely submerged. I'm told that the 71s engine was lifted out of harms way but do not know the status of any of the other hard parts which were being stored at ground level. Will make the trip down there tomorrow to assess the damage.
Papajam
What luck:eek:You have got to get those cars going before something else happens!!!! De-ja-vu:(

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
To take a little of the edge off the recent mess we received from Irene, I'll include a classic piece of Vermont humor to lighten things up:

A Texan was driving thru our mountains for the first time. He noticed that much of our landscape was hills and mountains. He considered the land that was not dead flat as totally useless. And that only left some skinny valley floors between the hills that might be considered of any use. He couldn't figure out how anyone could make a living off those minimal flat sections of land.

Up the road a piece he spotted an old Vermont farmer leaning against a fence post near the highway. So, he pulled his Eldorado off to the side to approach the farmer with his query. He started, "If ah was back in Texas, ah could drive for 3 days and 3 nights, and still not be to the edge of mah property!" The old Vermonster thought about this for a second, and replied, "Ayup. I used to have a car just like that."

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
What luck:eek:
Yeah, crap luck. One stolen, then one flooded and the parts for a third in unknown condition.
Having read some the horror stories as a result of this storm, I have to say though that I'm grateful that I got off easy by comparison.
On the bright side, the Spider came through the storm unscathed! :) And even though the 68 GTV was submerged, it's a bare shell. The potential good in this is that the flood may have washed off the inch or so dust that was on the thing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
...The potential good in this is that the flood may have washed off the inch or so dust that was on the thing. :rolleyes:
So, Jim, are you trying to tell us that this storm should have its name changed from "Irene" to "I-clean"????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Pretty amazing to think that a state that has no "coast" can be hit so hard. My firm has been taking numerous calls every day for structural, bridge, and dam reviews since Ms. Irene passed by.

Roads and bridges taken out in chunks will require significant time to repair.....Burlington was not hit so hard but we had our "time" earlier this year with the springtime floods off the lake.

My wife has spent time volunteering to help stricken families clean up. As she says, you do not really appreciate it until you see it in person and talk to the families.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts