Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a positive or negative experience running this synthetic (partially synthetic?) Fiat Selenia HPX 20W50 oil in their Alfa? Claims to reduce oil consumption by 50% and cut down on emission fumes. I don’t notice muhc oil consumption on a daily / weekend drive basis, however, during mountain rallies where we are traveling up to 400 miles in a day I have noticed a need to top up. The older Alfa guys tell me that an extra quart per day under these conditions can be “normal”.

I have switched from the expensive Lucas Hot Rod 20W50 to a regular Castrol 20W50 in my 76 Alfetta GT and feel the Castrol works a bit better. Easier starting and cleaner oil on changes...although I think the Lucas is darker to start with and the darker it is might actually signify it is doing a better job of removing pollutants I suppose!

·
Richard Jemison
8,100 Posts
Oil consumption over 1 quart per oil change indicates either ring or valve seal issues.
I believe if you do your research you will find the Lucas product has more zink which these engines need.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts